Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time dialation field

• 11-02-2010 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Would it have made more sense for the aincents to put their pods in a time dialation field instead of those stupid statis pods that they used in Atlantis and on the Aurora??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Isn't that Asgard Tech? Which might have been invented after the fall of the Aincents

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yep, Asgard = time dilation fields Ancients = stasis pods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Same thing, probably used way less power though.

In both you still wind up aging over extreme lengths of time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I don't think so overheal. In a dilation field you are still ageing "normally" relative to how you think time is passing by.
    Obviously in a stasis pod you have no idea how long has passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

well i only mean that in saying how effective it would be at keeping someone in stasis in terms of preservation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The logic behind the OP's theory is right. If you put a stasis pod inside a time dialation field you will definitely last longer over "Real" time.

How about a stasis pod inside a time dialation field inside the gravity from a black hole!!!! :eek: You'd out live GOD.

GSPfan wrote: »
    The logic behind the OP's theory is right. If you put a stasis pod inside a time dialation field you will definitely last longer over "Real" time.

How about a stasis pod inside a time dialation field inside the gravity from a black hole!!!! :eek: You'd out live GOD.

You won't, time is relative, yes you may last 100,00 years but they are 100,000 years inside the time dilation field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

You won't, time is relative, yes you may last 100,00 years but they are 100,000 years inside the time dilation field.

Yeah but just say you want to see the year 8000 and you only wanna age a few days? Get in that stasis pod and activate a time dialation field and presto. You don't experience them 6000 years ya know cause they'd only last a few minutes or days for you. Philip J Fry is a prime example.

We should ask someone on Physics this :rolleyes: But what I'm saying is, while inside a time dilation field time passes normally as you see it relative to your position inside the TDF.

Now if you go and stick yourself inside a stasis pod, which itself is inside a TDF the result is the same, you will still age 1 minute say for every year you are in the stasis pod (as if you got into a stasis pod in normal space time), only when you leave the dilation you notice any difference, the problem being when you go back to normal space time most likely you will age rapidly and die or either you wont be able to leave it.

Thats my view anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

The pods are most likely life support systems aswell as time dialation. A minute for you may mean a year outside but if you experience a few days in the field with no supplies (water, food, etc) then your pretty screwed, not to mention where your air is going to come from. Given that time is passing faster outside the field air probably won't circulate very well.
    only when you leave the dilation you notice any difference, the problem being when you go back to normal space time most likely you will age rapidly and die or either you wont be able to leave it.

Thats my view anyway :)

I don't get it. Time passes slower in the field but if you leave time catches up with you, age rapidly and die? What if the field did the opposite and sped up time so one year inside was a minute outside. Would you grow younger when you stepped outside the field after spending 50 years inside?

• Advertisement

Mantel wrote: »
    The pods are most likely life support systems aswell as time dialation. A minute for you may mean a year outside but if you experience a few days in the field with no supplies (water, food, etc) then your pretty screwed, not to mention where your air is going to come from. Given that time is passing faster outside the field air probably won't circulate very well.

I don't get it. Time passes slower in the field but if you leave time catches up with you, age rapidly and die? What if the field did the opposite and sped up time so one year inside was a minute outside. Would you grow younger when you stepped outside the field after spending 50 years inside?

I'm throwing in a bit of another sci-fi show there :)

Advertisement