Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Pc wont boot in safe mode

• 11-02-2010 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

After microsoft auto update yesterday My dell PC won't boot even in safe mode.
    Widows brings up a blue screen error 0x0000007e and advises try safe mode in safe mode the drivers run until system32\driver\mup.sys and then just hangs there. I dont have a xp disk to boot too

A bit clueless as what to try

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Exact same problem here since last night :mad: Dunno what to do :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I presume you tried booting up - continuously hitting the F10 button .

And try going to last known good configuration

Yep, kept trying all otions to boot but nothing. Seems theres a few dells after crashing with this.

http://rapid.org/board/showthread.php?t=330142&highlight=windows+boot+disk

In safe mode it loads up until system32/drivers/dmload.sys then stops
    Anyother option shows blue screen error 0x00000007e

As dell dont suply any windows disk with new computers im at a loss as to what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 43 e17

I presume you tried booting up - continuously hitting the F10 button .

And try going to last known good configuration

pressed the F10 and last know good config But just got blue screen windows error again. If I try safe mode it just locks up while going thru sys32 drivers. As I dont have a disk and cant boot in safe mode will have to take it for repair:(

Im holding off taking for repair, got price from 150 - 250. Hopefully seen as there is a few dells with this problem a solution can be found soon enough. Havent the money to be forking out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Any update on any of this. Got the blue screen of death myself the other night. Same code and problems as the posts above. wont boot in safe mode or last know working settings. safe mode boot stops while going through the drivers. No boot disk as everything was pre-loadd onto the machine when I got it. (Dell Dimension 3100).

I'm thinking about giving the blue screen of death the size 11 boot of death as the comp is 5 years old and I'd rather just buy a new one than spend much of that price in a repair shop.

If anyone finds a way out of the problem which doesn't involve kicking the tower or spending a few 100 blips in a repair shop please let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Very interesting, I wonder what piece of software caused all these machines to tank at once. Don't suppose any of you have access to the hard-drives from a external source? I would like to look at the minidump files from the blue screens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Slunk wrote: »
    Im holding off taking for repair, got price from 150 - 250. Hopefully seen as there is a few dells with this problem a solution can be found soon enough. Havent the money to be forking out

You could try a recovery yourself and save your money, what model is it? I think it's ctrl+f12 at the dell logo on the older pc's . the information will be on the dell site.

NOTE: you will lose all your data if you do a factory restore.*

Just had a quick google, look at step 3 here if it's a Vista pc. Again you will lose your date if if it's not backed up.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?docid=336966

Thanks for the suggestions but most of seems to be links to links and eventuall suggests using a disc to repair or reinstall as dell never supplied us with xp disc. If I buy a new operating Disc Win 7 etc will that work bear in mind I cant get into windows even in safe mode.

• Advertisement

Do you have a external hard-disk, make/model? What model desktop is it and how old is it? current Operating system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Is there not a repair option off the boot menu that works without a CD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

by anychances is "Dls for Kernel" coming up ?

Most of the links above give option to reinstall from cd or re install fromsafe mode command promt but it freezes up before you get a chance to type ina command. I dont mind having to wipe everything off the computer if it will fix it, needed a clean up anyway. So, how do I wipe it if I have no disc and can't get to the command promt bit??

Most of the links above give option to reinstall from cd or re install fromsafe mode command promt but it freezes up before you get a chance to type ina command. I dont mind having to wipe everything off the computer if it will fix it, needed a clean up anyway. So, how do I wipe it if I have no disc and can't get to the command promt bit??

Get a Disk. Any Windows disk.

Do you have a external hard-disk, make/model? What model desktop is it and how old is it? current Operating system?

Mine is A dell dimension e520 about 3 years old the bios is 2.0.5 and is supposed to run windows xp media centre

In the F8 boot menus I get various safe modes but no repair option

I dont have a external drives connected but have most of my stuff saved on large usb so dont mind if machine is stared from scratch but do i need to buy/borrow a CD with operating system? Cant believe that DELL didnt supply this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

e17 wrote: »
    Mine is A dell dimension e520 about 3 years old the bios is 2.0.5 and is supposed to run windows xp media centre

I dont have a external drives connected but have most of my stuff saved on large usb so dont mind if machine is stared from scratch but do i need to buy/borrow a CD with operating system? Cant believe that DELL didnt supply this

Press Ctrl and f11 at the same time at the dell logo screen when the pc is booting and you will get the restore options provided you havn't deleted the restore partition with an Os upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It's suggested that is a result of an existing malware infection together with microsoft patch KB977165.
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/73cea559-ebbd-4274-96bc-e292b69f2fd1/#e9b28c45-635c-4adf-8d24-817bf39c207b

1. Boot from your Windows XP CD or DVD and start the recovery console (see this Microsoft article for help with this step http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/307654)

Once you are in the Repair Screen..

2. Type this command: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst

3. Type this command: BATCH spuninst.txt

4. Type this command: systemroot

5. When complete, type this command: exit

Your computer should restart and everything should be back to normal.

Though you'll need to get advice on removing the bug. www.ComboFix.org is pretty good at the nastier bugs but you might want to back up your docs first just in case.

e17 wrote: »

I'll be in town working in the IFSC beside Connelly station from about 9am to 1pm. If you want I'll give you a dell xp cd and you can do the above instructions. Pm me and I'll ring you tomorrow and bring it out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭meepins

I don't know all the details of this problem the update caused but there is no need to do that. Wiping should be a last resort. Simply get a second hard drive and install windows on that, boot from it and you can keep all the files from the main hard drive. You could even get a small usb flash drive ( for example http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=325454 - 8gb usb drive for less than 20 euro) and install windows on it and boot from that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JvwwiAegnI check this out,, or search ''BSOD'' ON YOU TUBE, you might find answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Just spent 2 days on this problem with gfs laptop.

A number of things hampered my efforts including her giving me the wrong admin password to get to the recovery console(thanks ophcrack) & after i removed the rogue kernel update more bluescreens.(found & deleted a 0kb sys file to fix that)

One of the most challenging problems i've had to fix for someone. Average computer user has no hope of fixing this. MS really should have better procedures for updates. If the laptop has been compromised they should alert you to fix it before bluescreening lots of machines.

Now I have to scan the laptop to see where that random sys file came from...

For anyone else the details in post #19 are the way to go followed by persistence to get rid of possible infections. I didn't want to try a repair install until I exhausted other possibilities. There are other hassles with that approach.

Advertisement