Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax/Bank of Scotland Megathread - Read Post #1 First!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Thanks. Was peed off for half an hour, gotten over it now. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

How do you find their request to request them closing our accounts in writing?

That sounds a bit tough to me. Forcibly closing people's accounts and asking them to request this in writing. That's if it's my intention to close my account. That's their decision and I really have no option. That's OK, I agree they have the right to close their business, including my account. But I don't agree when they request me writing to them to do it. Funny. What if I refuse?

Got a call today reminding me to write them to close my account. The caller was seemingly surprised when I asked what happens if I don't do it. Of course, I'll take away the money, but I'm not interested in doing anything else, to be honest.

Are you thinking along these lines or going to write Halifax asking to close your accounts?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

none wrote: »
    How do you find their request to request them closing our accounts in writing?

That sounds a bit tough to me. Forcibly closing people's accounts and asking them to request this in writing. That's if it's my intention to close my account. That's their decision and I really have no option. That's OK, I agree they have the right to close their business, including my account. But I don't agree when they request me writing to them to do it. Funny. What if I refuse?

Got a call today reminding me to write them to close my account. The caller was seemingly surprised when I asked what happens if I don't do it. Of course, I'll take away the money, but I'm not interested in doing anything else, to be honest.

Are you thinking along these lines or going to write Halifax asking to close your accounts?

I didn't experience that problem. I rang them for a balalne for the transfer & she offered to terminate the account there & then . She said it would then close when the bacance was transferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I haven't switched or closed my account yet. Wonder what happens if i don't do anything. Will they just send out a cheque and close the account?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would say so. That's what happened back when ACC bank withdrew from the domestic market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

anyone have an update on the offering of a loan re credit card balances?

I see the website has changed its wording to "check website later in april" from early april:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Well, I finally got to try out my Visa Debit Card online this afternoon, and successfully ordered an item from Amazon.co.uk, and renewed my virus protection on Eset.ie. No problem with either site accepting the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

seanie500 wrote: »
    anyone have an update on the offering of a loan re credit card balances?

I see the website has changed its wording to "check website later in april" from early april:confused:

Got a letter this morning saying that they are not offering a loan or credit agreement. They are however offering to let people pay off their outstanding balance as they see fit as long as the 3% minimum is paid monthly. Although to qualify for this you cannot have had more than 1 missed payment since you took out your credit card.

Customer service line aren't much help though and you keep getting told that new letters will be sent out in the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

http://www.halifax.ie/node/99

There is more info up here today for customers who can't clear their account.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

I have closed my current account with halifax and handed back my credit card. I logged into my online banking just to see if all my info was gone. My current a/c info is gone but credit card info still there....says I'm 12 quid in credit...dont know how but I wonder will I get this back? I know it's not much but just be interesting to see!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Got a letter this morning saying that they are not offering a loan or credit agreement. They are however offering to let people pay off their outstanding balance as they see fit as long as the 3% minimum is paid monthly. Although to qualify for this you cannot have had more than 1 missed payment since you took out your credit card.

Customer service line aren't much help though and you keep getting told that new letters will be sent out in the next 2 weeks.

Well holy god... this crowd of jokers get better. A least with a loan the company and the customer have a excelerated exit strategy. With 3% + interest someone could take years longer to pay off the principle or just interest only!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Scruff101 wrote: »
    I have closed my current account with halifax and handed back my credit card. I logged into my online banking just to see if all my info was gone. My current a/c info is gone but credit card info still there....says I'm 12 quid in credit...dont know how but I wonder will I get this back? I know it's not much but just be interesting to see!

Call the credit card line. They can arrange to close the account over the phone, and the outstanding balance to be transferred to a new account. Was all quite painless when I had a credit balance on account closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

stepbar wrote: »
    Well holy god... this crowd of jokers get better. A least with a loan the company and the customer have a excelerated exit strategy. With 3% + interest someone could take years longer to pay off the principle or just interest only!!!

I am delighted with this, I have a bout 3500 on my card so I am happy to pay the 100 or so quid every month but if I a bit more cash I can pay it in any time. Its better than a loan.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Lux23 wrote: »
    I am delighted with this, I have a bout 3500 on my card so I am happy to pay the 100 or so quid every month but if I a bit more cash I can pay it in any time. Its better than a loan.

Same here--Its a great idea.Gets me out of the card quickly assuming I pay a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭pyzon

Lux23 wrote: »

Got my letter also, same store. if you can't clear it you will pay 3% of balance or 10euro whichever is greater. Variable rate of 10% - example given was owing 2500 = 75 a month until cleared...although..I'm sure as with all things...the variable in the interest rate may well be very variable :)

18th June is the date they say you no longer can use or abuse you CC. They do emphasize it is not a loan and give 3 additional/edited conditions to the current agreement with them. You can pay off more when you can etc, but since 3% is the current min payment anyway no biggy. It's not so bad.

A bit bad form the way the letter starts. It seemed at first at though they were still looking for full payment. They lite to stress they can still ask for thier money at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cri

I just got my statement today and I saw that the card tax was charged. When I called about that I was told that was for 2009 but I will be charged a full years tax in June.

it seems the Revenue are creaming it off us by getting their full pound of flesh despite the fact we will only have the card for a few months. I asked Halifax why they didn't let us know that the tax would not be pro-rata and they told me they did, by text. I never got a text, they then said they advertised about the tax on Newstalk, I never heard it!

Anyway seems like I have no choice but to pay for something I am not getting.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Chubbcakes

Not sure if this has been discussed here...I am trying to switch Halifax CC and no bank will touch me as I have become unemployed since. They have said that it does not matter that I was able to pay more than the mimimum every month on time. What am I expected to do?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Same as I'm gona have to do, pay them off every month

Chubbcakes wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been discussed here...I am trying to switch Halifax CC and no bank will touch me as I have become unemployed since. They have said that it does not matter that I was able to pay more than the mimimum every month on time. What am I expected to do?:mad:
    Have you tried MBNA & Tesco?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 pennylane22

Chubbcakes wrote: »

Do you really need a credit card? Can you get by on a debit card for the time being? You don't need to clear your account now by June 18th so maybe just sit tight until you find employment and keep making your minimum payments on your Halifax card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Curly7

anyone any idea what the story is if you're in arrears?

My limit is €3000 but my balance is about €3600

Curly7 wrote: »
    anyone any idea what the story is if you're in arrears?

My limit is €3000 but my balance is about €3600

I'd say your best bet is go in & talk to them.
    They are saying payments have to be up to date but I'd imagine if you put a proposal to them & set up a direct debit for the monthly payments they will accept that.

Decided to switch to ulsterbank in the end but already encountering problems. Already have a savings account with them so it shouldn't be an issue. Rang up today after a week and half of hearing nothing since sending in everything.

The guy had me on hold for ages to come back and say all he could tell me that documents were received cos he couldn't get into my application as maybe somebody else was in it.

He said if i called back in half an hour, somebody may be able to help me then. What is it with them and not asking for your phone number to call you back? I'm going out of my way to ring them in the first place because i haven't heard anything.

I've had this problem before with them regarding a loan application which was taking ages.Asked for a callback after having to ring them loads and they never rang back. Withdrew my application in the end and complained. They should have a record of this.

The only reason i am choosing them is because i wan't the visa debit card but i don't know if i'll be able to handle their customer service.

I will miss halifax for this reason as i always found them pleasant and dealt with any issues in a timely manner and always asked if there was anything else they can help me with at the end of a call. I work for a bank (won't mention any names) and know there can be issues but it's basic service to keep customers updated. These staff should be trained with a basic level of how they need to deal with customers imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Going into a branch seems to be the only way. I applied online first, sent all the details etc several calls and weeks later still no account. Gave up and went into the branch and it was done and dusted. Used the card online and so far ok.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Davy wrote: »
    Going into a branch seems to be the only way. I applied online first, sent all the details etc several calls and weeks later still no account. Gave up and went into the branch and it was done and dusted. Used the card online and so far ok.

Amen to that brother.
    Decided that something as important as banking should be done in person, I buy some stuff online, but you need a person to go through it all with you.
    Went into branch (they actually stayed open longer to accommodate Halifax customers), filled out paperwork, they actually did all the transfers for me, got my cards (even credit card and I was unemployed at the time, amazing), never a hitch. Once it's all set up the online banking is a breeze and they always seem very friendly and helpful in the branch.
    My only niggle was that I couldn't use their debit card online with Tesco Mobile, but that's been fixed now, happy days all round.
    Apart from the fact that the branch is a lot busier than the Halifax used to be (maybe a good thing), I have zero complaints about them.
    Miss the Halifax, but like everything else in the Irish market, if it's really good and really cheap it is doomed to fail.

Wish i could go the branch but working during the opening hours:( Unless they ares still open late? Or even saturdays like Halifax:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Wish i could go the branch but working during the opening hours:( Unless they ares still open late? Or even saturdays like Halifax:)

Saturdays? I asked. Got reply "No, thank god"

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Decided to switch to ulsterbank in the end but already encountering problems. Already have a savings account with them so it shouldn't be an issue. Rang up today after a week and half of hearing nothing since sending in everything.

The guy had me on hold for ages to come back and say all he could tell me that documents were received cos he couldn't get into my application as maybe somebody else was in it.

He said if i called back in half an hour, somebody may be able to help me then. What is it with them and not asking for your phone number to call you back? I'm going out of my way to ring them in the first place because i haven't heard anything.

I've had this problem before with them regarding a loan application which was taking ages.Asked for a callback after having to ring them loads and they never rang back. Withdrew my application in the end and complained. They should have a record of this.

The only reason i am choosing them is because i wan't the visa debit card but i don't know if i'll be able to handle their customer service.

I will miss halifax for this reason as i always found them pleasant and dealt with any issues in a timely manner and always asked if there was anything else they can help me with at the end of a call. I work for a bank (won't mention any names) and know there can be issues but it's basic service to keep customers updated. These staff should be trained with a basic level of how they need to deal with customers imo.

Ugh, finally got a letter requesting a 3 monthly statement showing what i got paid over the last 3 months. I have misplaced this but thought it would be ok because they asked for this or 3 recent paylips which i included. Also enclosed my halifax statement incase they needed it for proof of address. I don't even know why they need this to open a current account. I already have a savings account with them.

Looks like i'll be not be availing of their current account and will be switching my savings account elsewhere. I'll be sure to reply to their letter though with a copy of the original letter highlighting what they actually requested to show their imcompetency once again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Davexirl

So Halifax are pulling out of Ireland next month and my credit card expires the end of this month, got home this evening and a letter with a new credit card from Halifax with expiry date 2013, it says ring to activate i laughed how the hell could they make a **** up like that. I wonder did i send us all new credit cards. Will i ring and activate it??? hahha:D

Advertisement