Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax/Bank of Scotland Megathread - Read Post #1 First!

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Lux23 wrote: »
    You can take it that this is the case unless you are already in arrears.
    Take it from who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's being discussed on every talk radio show today, and the consensus is that any outstanding debt on credit cards or overdrafts will be converted to a personal loan with a fixed payment period. That wouldn't be too bad, unless of course they try to be unreasonable about the term of the loan (making people pay more than they can afford).

Everyone should start making applications to other banks right now, and see if you can offload accounts and cards before the May deadline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JonnyBlackrock

Originally I had a Barclaycard, they pulled out and transferred me over to Halifax, and now Halifax are pulling out too.
    Fortunately I don't have a balance as I pay the whole bill every month.
    I've just rang them and they said my card will be cancelled at the end of May and I'll be left with nothing. Marvellous, bloody marvellous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 JJ1505

jor el wrote: »
    It's being discussed on every talk radio show today, and the consensus is that any outstanding debt on credit cards or overdrafts will be converted to a personal loan with a fixed payment period. That wouldn't be too bad, unless of course they try to be unreasonable about the term of the loan (making people pay more than they can afford).

Hopefully this will be the case - I know it's early days for the bank to sort this out. If they converted it to a personal loan it would be great, however I have my doubts they will seeing the answer I got earlier on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The debt is owned by the card company and not the bank itself, Visa or Mastercard, it should be no problem to just transfer it to another institution that issues these.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

commited wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I'm in the fantastic situation of doing all of my banking with Halifax which means I have to move everything now. I have my current account, a savings account which is pretty much empty and a Visa credit card.

The reason I joined Halifax was their fee free banking, positive reports from mates in the UK, 6 months interest free on the CC and their loan rates were good. My experience overall hasn't been great - slowest in bank experience and everything appeared to be from the dark ages. Nothing like the UK. I digress.

I was with AIB before, and I was happy with them, but I don't want to go back to paying fees. What's my best alternative bank for Current account and CC? I clear my CC every month so I'm not really bothered about the interest rate on it.

Ta!

Every bank offers free fees in one shape or form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 nev0

I'd imagine Ulster Bank will get a lot of Halifax business

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Threads merged.

From the info I got (by email) today, Credit Cards will have to be paid off. Loans will be allowed to run their course. However, as someone rightly pointed out those in arrears cannot just clear their credit card. I'd suspect you'll be offered a loan and told tough.

nev0 wrote: »
    I'd imagine Ulster Bank will get a lot of Halifax business

How or why ceases to amaze me. Ulster is next in line to Halifax in terms of poor customer service. Anyone whose ever had to deal with Tesco aka Ulster Bank (loans when they were available through Tesco / credit cards) will tell you that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Nation wide Uk Ireland they have now set up here and offer some good deals
    or for no charges on D.D ect i find postbank fairly good.
    Aib and Bol are just money grabbers id rather keep it under the mattress then bank with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 nev0

PTSB will also be offering Visa Debit soon and there are rumours that BOI will take it up too.

BOI were saying Visa Debit cards were on the way "in the very near future" about 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

I have a Halifax credit card, not sure what this means for me then? Is it ok to continue using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

PTSB will also be offering Visa Debit soon and there are rumours that BOI will take it up too.

I heard about PTSB taking up Visa Debit in the Sunday Business Post. What about the rumours with BoI, any credible sources?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

stepbar wrote: »
    How or why ceases to amaze me. Ulster is next in line to Halifax in terms of poor customer service. Anyone whose ever had to deal with Tesco aka Ulster Bank (loans when they were available through Tesco / credit cards) will tell you that.

Halifax...poor customer service? I found Halifax to be better than UB, AIB and far better than BoI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Laser card is effectively AIB and BOIs baby... They won't be changing to VISA Debit at any stage in the medium term (or possibly the long term). no way. Any rumours to the contrary are totally unsubstantiated and I would welcome any evidence suggesting otherwise. as for PTSB switching to VISA debit, I would not be holding my breath, and it certainly won't be before May, but possibly not this year if at all.
    I agree with the other poster, I would rather put my money under the mattress than go back to BOI or AIB. Worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life, and almost every little change required red tape, multi department dealing, post in signed letters, and/or a trip to the branch. zzzzzzz...
    Halifax were very helpful customer service wise and I'm sad to see them go. I also have savings accounts with UB so will probably put my current account there as they have been quite helpful so far in my dealings with them. Plus of course the VISA debit card offering, and it avoids the big Irish rip off conglomerate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 keary79

i work with one of the main banks aib. in credit card section. this is only options im giving people.
    i would suggest sticking with the irish banks as they wont be going anywhere unlike foreign banks.
    aib have a credit card the click card which as a low interest rate 8.5% this is on purchases. cash is more. but its subject to lending criteria.
    its internet based meaning you will receive your statements via internet banking.
    see aib.ie for more info.
    already today applications are up from people moving over from halifax

i work with one of the main banks aib. in credit card section. this is only options im giving people.
    i would suggest sticking with the irish banks as they wont be going anywhere unlike foreign banks.
    aib have a credit card the click card which as a low interest rate 8.5% this is on purchases. cash is more. but its subject to lending criteria.
    its internet based meaning you will receive your statements via internet banking.
    see aib.ie for more info.
    already today applications are up from people moving over from halifax

• Advertisement

i feel bad for the staff.
    i also work in the banking sector so its scary times for us all.
    who knows what will happen lol

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dolby

Guys how bout national irish bank, any reports on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Went in today to make a deposit. It was like being at a funeral.

dolby wrote: »
    Guys how bout national irish bank, any reports on them?

Closed for lending, and for new business customers as far back as the middle of last year. Closing half their branches. My parents now have to travel 20 miles to the nearest branch to lodge a few quid. NIB is in a sorry state, truth be told.

The debt is owned by the card company and not the bank itself, Visa or Mastercard, it should be no problem to just transfer it to another institution that issues these.

MC

Totally incorrect. Visa and Mastercard are credit card transaction networks. They do not hold any responcibility for the debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well I've applied to AIB for a card and hope they will clear me, will find out next week. Given Halifax have been told by HM Government to get as much cash back into the UK I can't see them offering people loans unless they are using a third party.

I can also see severe issues with Irish Banks providing people with adequate facilities for transfering of balances when they are not giving money out as credit to viable businesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

What do you expect? I'm surprised they even turned up. They have just been sacked, with no realistic opportunities on the horizon. The staff in Tallaght are super and deserve better.

I have go in and close my savings accounts but dont know what to say....

deadtiger wrote: »
    Well I've applied to AIB for a card and hope they will clear me, will find out next week. Given Halifax have been told by HM Government to get as much cash back into the UK I can't see them offering people loans unless they are using a third party.

Halifax will be offering loans to customers who do not have the ability to pay off their credit card in one go.
    I can also see severe issues with Irish Banks providing people with adequate facilities for transfering of balances when they are not giving money out as credit to viable businesses.

That is so incorrect. Any viable company is getting the money they need. The business people shouting the loudest at the moment are the ones who "think" their company is viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

stepbar wrote: »
    That is so incorrect. Any viable company is getting the money they need. The business people shouting the loudest at the moment are the ones who "think" their company is viable.

Firstly can you edit that post to remove the addition you made to my quoted post please. Its quite childish to edit it to suit your own ends.

Secondly I can assure you that businesses are not getting credit I know I am on the front line in one at the moment and am seeing the effect first hand on small businesses in this country both our customers and our suppliers.

• Advertisement

Childish :rolleyes: See what I done there....

Moved my other point into your post.

Now I'm going to do this..... move it back out again.....

Get it?
    Secondly I can assure you that businesses are not getting credit I know I am on the front line in one at the moment and am seeing the effect first hand on small businesses in this country both our customers and our suppliers.

So, now you've become an authority fiqure?

Tell you what.... here's an offer... send me the accounts for this so called company and an outline of the facilities needed and I'll give you my opinion on it.....

This crap about banks not lending is simply untrue and getting a bit tired truth be told.

Advertisement