Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax/Bank of Scotland Megathread - Read Post #1 First!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JonnyBlackrock

I'm very sad that they are leaving as they are trully the best bank that i've ever dealt with.

That's not hard if you've only ever dealt with an Irish bank. I just don't get their story - they're living in a time warp.

What's all that rubbish about it taking 3 days to clear a cheque. It takes me 2 seconds to check the balance in my account in JAPAN, and it takes them 3 days to approve a cheque from a bank around the corner.

If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

That's not hard if you've only ever dealt with an Irish bank. I just don't get their story - they're living in a time warp.

What's all that rubbish about it taking 3 days to clear a cheque. It takes me 2 seconds to check the balance in my account in JAPAN, and it takes them 3 days to approve a cheque from a bank around the corner.

The 3 days you speak of is for security and fraud pevention id imagine and is NOT exclusive to halifax.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

daithijjj wrote: »
    The 3 days you speak of is for security and fraud pevention id imagine and is NOT exclusive to halifax.

Fraud prevention is one part, but that's a standard clearing time for any bank. That's why electronic payment is so much better than cheques.

Toots* wrote: »
    Fraud prevention is one part, but that's a standard clearing time for any bank. That's why electronic payment is so much better than cheques.

Oh absolutely :). I was just posting to inform the quoted poster that this isnt an issue with just halifax.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Rollercoaster

I have a Halifax current account with a visa debit card.

With the imminent closure of the branches in Ireland, should I switch to another bank, if so who?

Or, should I hold on and just see what happens?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I think there are enough threads on this in the Banking forum already.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged into Halifax Megathread

dudara

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I have a Halifax current account with a visa debit card.

With the imminent closure of the branches in Ireland, should I switch to another bank, if so who?

Or, should I hold on and just see what happens?

You will have to switch eventually its upto you if you want to do it right now or next week, personally I'd get it over and done with.

As for who to switch nobody here can really tell you that, you need to look at the banks and see which best suits your needs, switching in the end is easy as the banks operate a switching system that transfers direct debits etc and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

Scien wrote: »
    Fairly annoyed I have to lose my CC. :(

Have been with PTSB for about 15yrs, paid all my loans off on time, have a full time job and have zero debt - yet they still refused me a CC 3 times in 2009.
    Got one off Halifax on first application. Sad to see them go as I found them great. Was going to switch current/savings to them too on my next free day.

Gonna try for an ICE card one more time and if I get refused I'm done with PTSB.

You need to be careful applying for credit cards if you've been refused a few times as it affects your credit rating. Ulsterbank are the way to go. Just been in to set up current account and credit card. Meez unemployed, but a weekly payer of my credit card so looks like they're going to give me a CC. I'll keep ye posted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Spoke to a guy from Halifax today and he said that the bank is officially closing up shop on the 31st of May.

I have a credit card with them and he strongly suggested I either transfer my balance to a card with a different bank, or pay the balance before May 31st. I said to him that I haven't got another credit card to transfer to, and asked what would happen if I still had a balance after May 31st. He hesitated for a minute then said that he didn't know....

Now my question... if I still have a balance after the bank closes, what would happen? Would they just take it as a hit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 escapethematrix

No. They will give you a personal loan. Or they would sell the debt to a collection agency. You won't get off that easy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

No. They will give you a personal loan. Or they would sell the debt to a collection agency. You won't get off that easy ;)

It will go to a personal loan; I think its great as I have wanted to get a loan to cover my card for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Lux23 wrote: »
    It will go to a personal loan; I think its great as I have wanted to get a loan to cover my card for ages.

Lower interest rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

helios wrote: »
    Lower interest rates?

Yes it will depend on how much you owe but it will probably be about 12.4% for a loan under €5,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

It would be very interesting to see what Halifax do with people that have a credit card, can't transfer the balance to a new one as they are unable to get a credit card due to credit status and who they consider too risky to give a personal loan to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd imagine they'll have to give a loan to pretty much anyone that has an outstanding amount with them post-closure. Won't be much greater risk than leaving them with a current credit card anyway, I'd wager.

It'll be interesting to see how they structure the loans and over what term. If people are paying off just a minimum balance on the card, a monthly loan repayment will most likely be a larger amount.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Has anyone received the letter from Halifax yet?

Got statement today, no 'letter' yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭justflow1983

I totally agree. With my account in the states, any cheque up to $1000 is in the account immediately when you drop it off. I'm not sure why its 3-5 days here either. And I especially don't understand why an electronic transfer here still takes 3-5 days between Irish banks, it should be instant, or at most 24 hours so someone can approve it manually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭pyzon

The Chief Halifax dude was on the radio a while back when this all started. He stated categorically that anyone who could not transfer to another card would be given a personal loan at a lower interest rate than the CC had. I find it unlikely this will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Anyone actually heard from Halifax yet? I would have thought we'd be contacted by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

deadtiger wrote: »
    Anyone actually heard from Halifax yet? I would have thought we'd be contacted by now.

So would I but i guess there too busy with their new Security enhancements and holding onto our money for as long as they when we try and transfer it out to other banks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

I closed my savings account with them. Took nearly two weeks for the transfer to complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Yearning4Stormy

Got a letter earlier in the week which I thought would be it. Turned out to be a missive detailing the interest rate on my (three months to go) current account overdraft. 55c that cost HBOS to post, I guess.

As I said earlier in the thread, I'm in the middle of transferring back to the AIB. They coouldn't've been nicer about it, tbh. Also, decided not to risk the alleged HBOS "convert visa balance to personal loan" yoke... successfully consolidated into a personal loan with the AIB. Result :D

Still sorry HBOS are pulling out though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I presume they are delaying with the whole union/possible strike business.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

Went into my local branch today, have a flexi saver with around 2,500 in it, withdrew 1000 there and then and will do the same next month, dont like this having to wait 2 wks stuff, i know it wouldn't work for people with bigger amounts but works for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Iamhere wrote: »
    Went into my local branch today, have a flexi saver with around 2,500 in it, withdrew 1000 there and then and will do the same next month, dont like this having to wait 2 wks stuff, i know it wouldn't work for people with bigger amounts but works for me!

I transferred funds out of my flexisaver account when the news about them closing broke and it only took a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

im actually in arrears with Halifax as my Visa Debt card used to act like a credit card.. what happens if i dont clear this before my account is closed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

I've yet to hear from them, although I've already transfered my CC to AIB.

Balance transfer took about a week and a half after I'd posted off the form to AIB.

Advertisement