Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax/Bank of Scotland Megathread - Read Post #1 First!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Fireborn

Hi all,

Firstly, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for these questions if it is could you please direct me to the right place.

I'm basically asking for advice on a new bank, i'm (relatively) new to Ireland (Moved from UK a year ago).

I had an account with Halifax UK when I was there so immeadiatly chose Halifax Ireland when I moved here. I'm now looking for a new current/savings account.

And is there a bank where I can get a proper debit card, not a laser card?

Also, on a more personal note, are their any reccomendations you have for a bank?

Thanks,

Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I'm not doing anything until i get notice to change accounts. I'm hoping i wont get that. Don't want to switch. Will miss my visa debit card too much and don't want to go back to UB. I can pretty much manage all my banking online so it would be good if they kept accounts open as some sort of online bank. Probably not gonna happen though:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Fireborn wrote: »
    Hi all,

Firstly, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for these questions if it is could you please direct me to the right place.

I'm basically asking for advice on a new bank, i'm (relatively) new to Ireland (Moved from UK a year ago).

I had an account with Halifax UK when I was there so immeadiatly chose Halifax Ireland when I moved here. I'm now looking for a new current/savings account.

Also, on a more personal note, are their any reccomendations you have for a bank?

Thanks,

Sam

I really can't recommend a bank Sam, as I've really only experienced Bank of Ireland, and I certainly wouldn't recommend them.

For what it's worth, I'm soon switching to Ulster Bank for my current account, one of the primary reasons being that they offer a Visa Debit Card having recently ditched Laser themselves.

I think Permanent TSB are switching to Visa Debit sometime later this year as well, but probably not in time for the Halifax wrap-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Yearning4Stormy

Peeps. Slighlty OT, but was horrified (though ultimately unsurprised) to discover I was hit for €12.50 Friday-last for "[HBOS] CHEQUE BOOK STAMP DUTY".

This, presumably sought by our illustrious political leaders, for an account that'll be dead in the water within three months. I've a bad feeling that I'll be hit for the VISA card too: €20 or €40, can't remember.

Then, to lick the icing off my cake, I guess they'll take it again for my AIB account'n'visa card.

Sheesh.

Fireborn wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks,

Sam

Sam, I'd recommend the AIB, even though they made a total FUBAR of a previous mortgage topup. They've (a Kildare branch) been brilliant about the situation. The girl I've been dealing with has called, I'd say on average, every other day with news of my various applications progress.

Really, they couldn't have been more helpful. I understand that they (the AIB) have been inundated with HBOS folks which is why apps are taking so long to process.

I thought I was getting ahead of the end-May deadline, but it appears that lots of peeps are on the ball.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

Peeps. Slighlty OT, but was horrified (though ultimately unsurprised) to discover I was hit for €12.50 Friday-last for "[HBOS] CHEQUE BOOK STAMP DUTY".

This, presumably sought by our illustrious political leaders, for an account that'll be dead in the water within three months. I've a bad feeling that I'll be hit for the VISA card too: €20 or €40, can't remember.

Then, to lick the icing off my cake, I guess they'll take it again for my AIB account'n'visa card.

Sheesh.

When you close your Visa account with HF, you have to pay the government stamp duty, BUT !! ask HF to send you out letter saying that you have paid the stamp duty for this year.
    So when you open your new Credit Card account,send them in that letter so you wont have to pay it twice.

billbond4 wrote: »
    When you close your Visa account with HF, you have to pay the government stamp duty, BUT !! ask HF to send you out letter saying that you have paid the stamp duty for this year.
    So when you open your new Credit Card account,send them in that letter so you wont have to pay it twice.

Woo! My first (I think) use of the "Thanks!" button. Seriously, thanks for the pointer, Mr. Bond, it's on my list of correspondance.

Have just repeatedly bent my blue debit and black visa cards into two halves to send back to HBOS. Vaguely depressing :(

Thanks again, and good luck fellow HBOS folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

Sheesh.

I know it's already been answered about the credit card, but you can also return your cheque book and get refunded for any cheques you haven't used (50c per cheque).

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

Is anybody else shocked that no one wanted to buy Halifax Ireland and develop it? It seems such a waste!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

almalahide wrote: »
    Is anybody else shocked that no one wanted to buy Halifax Ireland and develop it? It seems such a waste!!

The banks cant even afford their own books at the moment without trying to buy more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Hi,

I was having a look of different options for the Saving Accounts as I will have to close mine with BOS :( .... http://itsyourmoney.ie/regularsavingsaccountcomparison

I found that the two that more suit my case are with TSB and Ulster Bank

Would you reccommend which one is the "safest"? I guess 4% and 3.5% is the best you can find out there, correct?

Also, is there any saving account that offers an option to deposit a lump sum at the beginning?

Thank you ;)

TripleAce wrote: »
    Hi,

I was having a look of different options for the Saving Accounts as I will have to close mine with BOS :( .... http://itsyourmoney.ie/regularsavingsaccountcomparison

I found that the two that more suit my case are with TSB and Ulster Bank

Would you reccommend which one is the "safest"? I guess 4% and 3.5% is the best you can find out there, correct?

Also, is there any saving account that offers an option to deposit a lump sum at the beginning?

Thank you ;)

You're not going to lose your money in either.

If the money you have saved in BOS is currently in their regular saver, you can transfer a lump sum of up to 15k to a new UB regular saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

You're not going to lose your money in either.

If the money you have saved in BOS is currently in their regular saver, you can transfer a lump sum of up to 15k to a new UB regular saver.

That's the plan :) ....so I guess TSB is a bit better as gives 0.5% more interest (4% in total)? Am I overlooking something?

Where will you guys switch your saving account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 buzzing

looking for a new bank after halifax decided to pull ther plug out of ireland, was considering between permanent tsb and ulster bank - as dere current accounts seem good , however hav some savings and kinda drop feeds from variable account to current account whenever short, however the interest on these accounts seem alot lower than halifax, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Sheesh.

Halifax should send you out a letter saying you have already paid the GSD, alot of people don't know this but if you switch accounts you don't have to pay it again on your new card. Check it on the FR website.

TripleAce wrote: »
    That's the plan :) ....so I guess TSB is a bit better as gives 0.5% more interest (4% in total)? Am I overlooking something?

Where will you guys switch your saving account?

Yup better interest rate. Only problem is if you have more than 1k already saved. I don't know if TSB will allow you to transfer that sum into the account. I know UB will, but only if the money is currently in a halifax regular saver. Anyone in a TSB branch would be able to tell you if they are making the same allowance though.
    buzzing wrote: »
    looking for a new bank after halifax decided to pull ther plug out of ireland, was considering between permanent tsb and ulster bank - as dere current accounts seem good , however hav some savings and kinda drop feeds from variable account to current account whenever short, however the interest on these accounts seem alot lower than halifax, any suggestions?

AIB and Ulster's regular savers allow withdrawals with no penalty and both offer 3.5%. You must set up a standing order into both though - the minimum with AIB is €10 a month and with Ulster is €1 a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I take it I'm not the only Halifax credit card holder still witing on the letter?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Havn't heard a thing either. Have applied for a BOI CC & a balance transfer,

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I take it I'm not the only Halifax credit card holder still witing on the letter?

Nope still waiting. Have decided to kill my card so I am waiting to see what the loan deal is going to be before I do anything with my balance. So I am waiting to see what they are going to offer. Its pretty bad form by them that they haven't contacted their customers at this stage.

We also have a savings account and will be moving that in the next couple of weeks. But again no contact from them about that either.

deadtiger wrote: »
    Its pretty bad form by them that they haven't contacted their customers at this stage.

just noticed the site was updated slightly,
    We will write to each Halifax and Bank of Scotland (Ireland) Intermediary customer with details of how this closure affects their accounts. All customer letters will be posted by the 14th April 2010.

and
    Halifax in the Republic of Ireland will close on a phased basis, from the 18th June 2010, including the 44 retail branches.

Dont think this date was on it before, it just said the end of june. The way its worded, some could still be open after the date, as they will begin to close from june 18th?

• Advertisement

All will close by 23rd with the first wave of closures (21 I think) on the date given. :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

2 Letters arried today for me & mrs. At last , I thought. Was amazed to find out it was about our overdraft (which I have never used) being up for review in may!!! :confused::confused:

koolkid wrote: »
    2 Letters arried today for me & mrs. At last , I thought. Was amazed to find out it was about our overdraft (which I have never used) being up for review in may!!! :confused::confused:

Not sure why people need letters but it was in the press earlier that they would send them in April. I would imagine they are waiting to see a lot of closures of accounts and then post to customers who have not. In the meantime, you will get normal letters to do with your accounts. All information is on the website as to what accounts have to be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I only found out yesterday that this will affect my CC. (how dumb am I)
    I should really read the paper/watch the news more often.
    I owe about 2k on my 2.5k card?
    There is no way I can clear this by end of April, will have to make a call on Monday and see what my options are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NealOCarroll

almalahide wrote: »
    Not sure why people need letters...

It's because those who have credit card balances that they won't be able to pay off in full by June, will be wanting to hear exactly what is on offer in terms of translating the balance to a loan, and how to go about arranging same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shuga

Hi

I just got a letter from halifax this morning and due to their closure they require me to pay the balance of my credit card by june 18th...

I have no hope in doing this. Any advise??

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

check out http://www.itsyourmoney.ie/index.jsp?a=1097&n=569&p=100

i have seen 0% interest cc balance transfers on some cards. no idea what deals are available at the moment

I thought they were going to be turning balances into loans. You should ask them about it. It came up on the megethread iirc

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055825766

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If you can't switch or pay off your balance then Halifax will convert the payments to a loan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shuga

i did speak to them this morning and they gave me these options

clear balance with savings

clear balance by transfering to another credit card

clear balance by taking out a loan with another provider..

They never mentioned they would convert it to a loan themselves.
    They did say they would be back in contact with more options at a later date though.

Advertisement