Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax/Bank of Scotland Megathread - Read Post #1 First!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I raised the question above; what happens if we don't accept the terms of the loan offered to us? I don't see how they can force us to accept terms that would be impossible for customers to cope with!?

I'm guessing it will be the exact same as if you applied for this loan yourself. You're borrowing €X, and they'll ask how many monthly repayments you want to make. I just can't see how it would work otherwise.

wonder how they would feel if they were told you needed ten years to paybit off???
    After all, whose to argue with us?
    Surely to God the laws on our side here?
    We didn't decide to just up our business from them and not pay them back!
    They decided they were pulling the plug on us cos it didn't suit them anymore!
    One way traffic as far as Gucky can see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I raised the question above; what happens if we don't accept the terms of the loan offered to us? I don't see how they can force us to accept terms that would be impossible for customers to cope with!?
    They can give you a 21 day notice letter and then proceed to call in the debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

stepbar wrote: »
    So what are our rights then, if the terms they offer (read demand) are beyond our means?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Very suspicious that they would not speak on air to newstalk & would not even give an official statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Got my letter today.
    Was going to ring them but after reading the comments here I don't think I will bother yet!!
    Hopefully they will offer a loan of some sort to pay off the balance on my card.
    I could pay it off over next 3 months but it would leave me seriously strapped for cash.
    Hopefully there will be some good news over the coming days/weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

koolkid wrote: »
    Very suspicious that they would not speak on air to newstalk & would not even give an official statement.

Something sounds dodgy--the least they could do is give a statement to the media.

So what are our rights then, if the terms they offer (read demand) are beyond our means?

The money has to be paid in any event. It's up to you to decide on the term. BOSI cannot force you to accept a repayment schedule that is not affordable. But it also has to be reasonable too. You can't just turn around and go "Well all I can afford is a tenner a month" owing 20k. The terms and conditions on a loan are standard enough and as such would not impact as much as lets an accelerated repayment schedule.

That's fine in principle, but is it really viable?
    Does anyone know how many people have Halifax cards that are going to be unable to pay?
    I think it will be thousands!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I rekon it will be a case of you having to prove you have been refused another CC to transfer to & refused a personal loan, probably by a couple of providers.
    They don't want the loan to be the easy option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I rekon it will be a case of you having to prove you have been refused another CC to transfer to & refused a personal loan, probably by a couple of providers.
    lol, ricard branson couldn't get a credit card balance transfer in this economy. :P

there's not a hope anyone will give me another card, let alone allow me to transfer over my balance from a halifax card.

when i got my card halifax were the only people who'd give one to me (i tried pretty much everyone at the time) and my credit rating hasn't gotten any better since then so there's zero chance of me being able to offload it before june 18th, so they'll have to offer people like us 'something'.

if they hadn't pulled out of ireland they'd have been moe than happy to keep taking more and more off me till i pop my clogs, so i'm not going to go ou of my way to help them ease out of a problem that they played a big part in creating here.

• Advertisement

Well tbh proving you have been refused credit card elswehere would actually worsen the problem!
    Everytime your refused a loan or credit card is stored on your credit history too, therefore another "blemish" on your record.
    Prob best to sit on your hands and just tell Halifax you are unable to pay.

Spoken with a few of my mates, their advice was simply "Fu** them, it was them who decided to pull out of Ireland"! So...... Great advice there lol!

The road I'm aiming to go down is to clear my balance over a 4 or 5 year term, at a rate similar to the loan THEY OFFERED ME!!!! just back in Nov! (thank God I refused it!) kind of em though!

Gucky wrote: »

Spoken with a few of my mates, their advice was simply "Fu** them, it was them who decided to pull out of Ireland"! So...... Great advice there lol!
    Really not worth destroying your credit rating for years to come over a few grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NealOCarroll

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Just got off the phone to the call centre and their attitude has changed--Must be reading this thread.

Apparently this letter is the first of 2.Obviously they want people to change providers and or clear the balance but what Ive now been told is that a second letter will be sent in the next 2-3 weeks outling how customers who cant clear or change will be dealt with.

That's good to know. Thanks for posting it.

I think, though, I'd find it easier to sympathise with their stress at losing their jobs, if they organised their closure process in a way that was less stressful to those of us who are trying to work with them to settle our accounts smoothly and quickly.

Really not worth destroying your credit rating for years to come over a few grand.

No no no, I don't intend to. Just quoting some "advice" from folk who are lucky enough not to be in the same predicament!
    I deffo will pay mine back, as I have been doing flawlessly since taking the card.

No no no, I don't intend to. Just quoting some "advice" from folk who are lucky enough not to be in the same predicament!
    I deffo will pay mine back, as I have been doing flawlessly since taking the card.

I think as long as you are not missing the minmum payments (or any other loan repayments :D)there should be no problem transferring to a new CC.
    After all the minimum paying customers are the one they make the most from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

The money has to be paid in any event. It's up to you to decide on the term. BOSI cannot force you to accept a repayment schedule that is not affordable. But it also has to be reasonable too. You can't just turn around and go "Well all I can afford is a tenner a month" owing 20k. The terms and conditions on a loan are standard enough and as such would not impact as much as lets an accelerated repayment schedule.
    Thanks, I was just wondering what would happen in such an instance. Thankfully, I should be able to pay mine off completely in 12 monthly installments.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

I'm just raging about having to pay the stamp duty twice this year!! Went to AIB have a new credit card with them.....staff in Halifax told me I really should have waited until after 1st April to get a new card to avoid paying the duty on both....bit late now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brokegal

they've changed their tune since 9am this morning so as they couldn't offer me any help then, in fact they could barely listen to me on d phone too busy having a laugh with their colleagues. I'm in the same boat, have applied to tesco and mbna, not great options but other than that just gonna sit on my hands till they come back. would take the offer of a loan and get rid of it once and for all. hope repayment terms are flexible enough:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

they probably read boards.ie too you know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brokegal

well I hope so... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Got a letter from the Halifax the other day to say that they were closing my credit card account and want full payment by June (roflmfao) impossible, can anyone tell me where I stand with this? I fully understand that it will have to be paid off over time but seeing as I'm out of work I can't pay it in one lump nor will any other institution take on the balance on the card..

Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Sorted thanks, head has kicked into gear

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Basically, if you can't switch to another provider or pay it off, Halifax will convert the payments to a loan.

Go to the last few points, for the most up to date info

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Merged to Halifax Megathread :)

Guess it's one way of getting rid of one of the cards

That's fine in principle, but is it really viable?
    Does anyone know how many people have Halifax cards that are going to be unable to pay?
    I think it will be thousands!

Of course it's viable. You owe a company money. They will seek to recover it without doubt.

Could have the men in black at the door yet!

Of course it's viable. You owe a company money. They will seek to recover it without doubt.

No one is doubting that......
    Wondering the way forward that's all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Scruff101 wrote: »
    I'm just raging about having to pay the stamp duty twice this year!! Went to AIB have a new credit card with them.....staff in Halifax told me I really should have waited until after 1st April to get a new card to avoid paying the duty on both....bit late now!!

Me too, and didn't bloody know that if I waited till April I wouldn't have had to. Thought it was 1st January.

Advertisement