Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Insurance

Options
  • 11-02-2010 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

Ok, has anybody else noticed the rise in places selling insurance for you games? It's pretty fuckin' annoying when all I wanted to do was buy bioshock 2 today getting asked 20 questions! I just want to buy the fucking game! You'd think places would just be happy with you purchasing out of their store!

Would you like to buy a charity 'for life' bag... no thank you...

Would you like to insure your disc for a year with us... no thanks

It's only a euro and it'll cover you for the year if your disk gets scratched or damaged... No you're grand thanks...

Are you sure? Yes I'm sure...

All your games must all be in perfect condition so..... Yes, yes they are(In my head "Just fuck off and give me the game!!" :mad:)

I mean seriously!? (he asked more questions than that!) In the last about... 7 years only 1 game has ever been scratched and that was my brother deciding to move the 360 from horizontal to vertical for some stupid reason.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I thinik its just less Game Insurance and more an Idiot Tax, on those dumb enough to buy the crock that Gamestop slings.

never get asked it when buying PC games though....how odd :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    I thinik its just less Game Insurance and more an Idiot Tax, on those dumb enough to buy the crock that Gamestop slings.

T'was HMV this time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

HMV didn't ask me any questions back in November when I last bought a game there. GAME asked me loads back in June. (Achievement unlock dates tell me these dates :D)

I've been buying most of my games online, and only browse in shops, purchasing if there's a bargain. GAME really annoyed me that day because of all the questions. I thought buying my games online must've made me antisocial or something, but I'm not inundated with questions in any other shops!

Insurance wasn't offered, but I was informed that I could get the game I was looking for for cheaper if I bought it second hand (I was buying Condemned 2 for €12.99 ffs!).

No thanks.

Are you sure?

Yep.

It's in perfect condition, and you'll have the GAME guarantee!

No, thank you.

Oh, OK then. Would you like a bag? / We'll only take the unopened game back in x number of days with a receipt. / Remember, we buy your games back. / Etc. etc.

I felt like Rain Man - gotta leave the shop, definitely gotta leave the shop, waaagh aaagh!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I hate game insurance. I bought Mass Effect 2 in Gamestop because they only had the SE there, but I've sworn off buying there again after they kept asking me about fricking game insurance. Smyths have the decency to just give you to the game. Sad to hear HMV are in on it now, is usually one of the better outlets for DVDs / games.

I think the main problem is that there are clearly going to be parents going in and falling for it. I've seen mothers not having a clue what was going on and ending up paying the extra charge (I should interrupt sometime). I'd imagine most of us in here are sensible enough to ignore it (I haven't scratched a game since the PS1 days when I was a wee lad anyway) but the shame is there are many people going in buying games who haven't a clue what they're doing, and 'disc insurance' is a horrible way of tricking them into paying extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's for all the scumbags who come in 2 weeks later wondering why their beer mat disc is so scratched, and can no longer play their sh|t games :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Moral of the story? Don't buy games. They are overpriced anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

Moral of the story? Don't buy games. They are overpriced anyways.
    I think a better idea would be to just buy them online tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its another micro-transaction for console gamers to digest.
    Steam ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

ITs a total con imo.

We are paying for the copyright, not the physical disc that it comes on. When a disc get damage you should be able to pay for a replacement for a nominal fee as I already own the copyright (which isn't damaged, unless you bought mirrors edge, in that case its damaged beyond repair :mad: ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I'm not so sure about the evil of this. I mean its not a terrible idea.

Personally, I have an 18 month old daughter who likes all things shiney. I am concerned about what would happen if she got her hands on some of my game discs.
    Then again they are kept up on a shelf which she (currently) cant reach.

Ive seen some peoples places with discs lying all over the place.

Its the same as any other insurance. You weigh the cost against the risk and decide if its worth while.

As for the game of 20 questions when you are buying, it may be annoying but if you are polite its all over in a matter of minutes. Im sure the staff are drilled that they have to say these things when making a sale.

- On reviewing above, I may sound like a fanboi. In the interests of transparancy, I do not work for any related retail or gaming stores. I do work in a customer service/support role for an unrelated company so I can understand the staff point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Steam is a complete rip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »

i guess you missed: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055752440

;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,435 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks like places are adopting the American method of games retail were just to buy a game you get harassed by employees that are afraid of being fired if they don't sell their quota of used games, loyalty cards or game informer subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Gunmonkey wrote: »

But you can get strange looks and questions like, "Are you sure your computer can run it?".

In fairness, steam is one of the dearest places if you're actually looking for a game - i.e., a newish game not in any sale. They just lure you in with great deals when your credit card least expects it.

Anyway, on topic. I've seen people throw their discs around on tables with any old junk, and leave them there for weeks, getting scummy and dusty. When they do get put away, the discs get stacked in a pile with no boxes and are scratching off of each other. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if people are wondering why their discs aren't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I had a disc a while ago which I'd picked up 2nd hand off someone. When i got it home it was fairly badly scratched. Stuck it in the xbox and it was being recognised. I'd heard about the Toothpaste trick so decided to give it a go seeing as I had nothing to lose. 10 mintues of sensodyne and a rinse under the tap later and the game worked a treat and has done for many hours since.

Disc insurance indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,303 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I wouldnt say that. They do some nice sales, which is about when I do 90% of all my buying anyway. That and I know I would much rather have an Account and be able to download my games as many times as I want than have to rely on a piece of glorified plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I got offered the insurance when buying Bioshock 2 in HMV too.

"If your game breaks we will fix/repair/replace it for you" ....I asked is this for any game I have or just this specific one bought here, obviously it was just for that one...so I politely declined,

Advertisement