Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish cake recipes?

Options
  • 11-02-2010 10:11pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone recommend a fish cake recipe please? I've had a search around and I'm still unsure which to do. Ideas for a dipping sauce (perhaps Thai) would also be most welcome :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I saw yummy fishcakes being cooked on Come Dine With Me a while back.

Flake salmon into mashed potatoes with some fresh dill and lemon zest, amke them into little patties before coating in egg and breadcrumbs and frying.
    Yummers! (Although haven't tried making them yet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

The thai dipping sauce suits an oriental fishcake - so no spuds in the fishcakes. Try these...

300g white fish
    300g chopped raw prawns or crabmeat
    3 tbsp coconut milk
    6 spring onions finely chopped
    1 tsp chopped ginger
    1 tbsp chopped coriander
    2 tbsp fish sauce and 2 tbsp soy
    1 tbsp rice flour or plain wheat flour

Blitz the fish in a processor, add all the other ingredients and mix. Roll the mixture into balls and flatten. Dust in more flour and chill (the fish). Cook in hot oil at about 180c - either a deep fat fryer or a deep pan. Takes about 4 mins to get a golden colour.

For a good thai dipping sauce, make a sugar syrup by boiling equal quantities of sugar and water. To 200ml of sugar syrup, add 2 tbsp chopped chillies, 2 tsp chopped garlic and 2 tbsp very finely diced cucumber, juice of two limes and about 5 tbsp fish sauce.

Or try adding the lime juice and fish sauce to Nigella's chilli jam; the vinegar in the jam and the acidity in the lime clash a little but adding in small amounts and tasting as you go makes a passable sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

For the proper Thai Fish cakes all you need

Equal amounts of Cod and Salmon 250g each
    2 whole eggs, 1 large tablespoon Red Thai Curry paste, good pinch of salt ,a handful of Thai or regular basil, bunch of green beans

Mix the fish in a blender until smooth, add the eggs blend, then the paste, blend, the basil and the seasoning.. place in a bowl and work the mix a little with your hands,add the finely sliced green beans and make into patty shapes,

These are best deep fried until golden, roughly 2 minutes

the best dipping sauce is made with Sweet chilli sauce, thinned out with a gastric(equal parts sugar and vinegar) finely diced Cucumber, Shallot, red chilli, and Coriander

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Minder wrote: »
    The thai dipping sauce suits an oriental fishcake - so no spuds in the fishcakes. Try these...

300g white fish
    300g chopped raw prawns or crabmeat
    3 tbsp coconut milk
    6 spring onions finely chopped
    1 tsp chopped ginger
    1 tbsp chopped coriander
    2 tbsp fish sauce and 2 tbsp soy
    1 tbsp rice flour or plain wheat flour

Blitz the fish in a processor, add all the other ingredients and mix. Roll the mixture into balls and flatten. Dust in more flour and chill (the fish). Cook in hot oil at about 180c - either a deep fat fryer or a deep pan. Takes about 4 mins to get a golden colour.

For a good thai dipping sauce, make a sugar syrup by boiling equal quantities of sugar and water. To 200ml of sugar syrup, add 2 tbsp chopped chillies, 2 tsp chopped garlic and 2 tbsp very finely diced cucumber, juice of two limes and about 5 tbsp fish sauce.

Or try adding the lime juice and fish sauce to Nigella's chilli jam; the vinegar in the jam and the acidity in the lime clash a little but adding in small amounts and tasting as you go makes a passable sauce.

I cooked these last night with a simple stir-fry with Pak Choi. We enjoyed them but I may have over done them as the cakes were a little rubbery. The dipping sauce was very nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Authentic Thai fish cakes are rubbery - that's the intended texture - so it sounds like you did everything right! I'm not a huge fan of the rubbery fishcake meself. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

With fishcakes if you want a lighter texture, mix in cornflour at 50% the amount of fish with an egg.
    If you scrape the fillet with a dessertspoon and wipe the flesh into a bowl(time consuming) the connective tissue will remain attached to the skin, this makes the result much lighter and allows you not to use the blender which can make the texture rubbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

heres ramseys version

Ingredients

• 250g skinless white fish fillets, such as coley or ling
    • 250g large prawns, peeled and deveined
    • 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
    • 1 kaffir lime leaf, finely shredded (or finely grated zest of 1 lime)
    • 1 tbsp chopped coriander
    • 1 medium egg
    • 1 tsp palm sugar (or brown sugar)
    • 1 tsp fish sauce
    • Pinch of sea salt
    • 30g fine French beans, trimmed and thinly sliced
    • Vegetable oil, for shallow-frying

Advertisement