Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Doherty - Fiddler

Options
  • 11-02-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

For any of you interested in Donegal's Traditional Music Heritage, theres been a great documentary on the travelling musician John Doherty just uploaded on youtube. Theres some lovely footage of south-west donegal from around the late 60's early 70's. Here's the first of five parts:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

gosh, the road from Glenties to Finntown, then the road to Maghera caves, lovely, thanks.

He made the tin fiddles? Will watch it all later.

cor, all those sheep lined up along the bridge in Ardara, wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Tripzy

Beanstalk, that was just lovely to see.
    Will you be posting the other 4 parts here soon, pleeeeaaassseeee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Tripzy wrote: »
    Beanstalk, that was just lovely to see.
    Will you be posting the other 4 parts here soon, pleeeeaaassseeee?

Just double click on the link to go directly to the YouTube page. You will see the links to the rest of the videos on the right.

Or use this link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

I have that on video for years (now I have converted it to DVD), my grandparents, mother and uncle are in the part where the big night is held in the house in Kilcar (up the Glen in Kilcar to be exact) very interesting show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Very moving piece of social history. Makes you wonder what it's all about in the end *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I think the part where he talks about 'a new world' is particularly significant. Unfortunately the travelling musician is a part of history, though there a lot of people locally that still play his tunes.

is the fishing scene at the old fish carry at the narrows, LoughrosBeg bay on the road to Maghera caves?

Advertisement