Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is full time really full time???

Options
  • 11-02-2010 10:26pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of applying as a mature student and have narrowed it down to 3 courses;
    Bachelor of Arts in Psychology & Sociology
    Bachelor of Arts (joint honours)
    Bachelor of Science in Psychology

As i have a young son I was wondering what the hours would be like for these courses, and has anyone any help or info on them.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

go on to the UL website and get the e-mail adresses for the course heads of the courses you like and send them an e-mail, anytime i have done this they were very helpfull, goodluck!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dally

Great decision, best of luck :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

I'm doing Arts joint honours and we have about 15 hours a week. It's a great course if you are not exactly sure what you want to do. Best of lick with whatever you do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

thanks everyone for your advice. I'm really nervous about applying but am going to be brave and go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ok I'm going to assume that the son is of school going age? Which should leave you the best part of 9am-3pm free each day give or take an hour?

If so its more than possible with those course. In contrast to maths and science courses which are quite lab/college intensive the humanities (arts) generally tend to lay a lot of weight on reading. Which you can do anywhere. Now there'll be x amount of lectures and tutorials and as ever I'll be recommending you pay close attention and work for your tutorials -they provide the bulk of the exam if not all of it. B.A. modules usually have a lot of tutorial times set aside so there's a chance you could get them all done in one day (maybe get a relative to mind the child for one day a week) which would be a major help. Definitely a runner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

thanks for the advice cson. that puts things into perspective, I have no excuses now to apply, I guess my only problems now are choosing between courses. Thought I just had the ones in UL to think about but now someone recommended the Liberal Arts course in Mary I .. decisions.. decisions...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Hey Im Doing Joint Hounours and the hours are quite small compared to other courses.The Days are normally short enough but the timetable layout can be annoying eg have lecture at 9 then next one is at 2...but other than that its a fairly handy course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭DesQ2

Hi Angeldaisy,

My girlf applied for Psychology in UL last yr, she didn't get an interview and was sent a letter saying the course was already filled after paying a 25e administration fee, I'm not telling you what direction to take but just making you aware of any pitfalls just in case, my girlf is now doing libreal arts as an evening course in mary i, which will lead on to a full time course in liberal arts (yr 3 which is work experience can be skipped using this method) and you can lead on to do a masters in Psychology at a later date.

In regard to any worries you may have about going back, me and my girlf both went back as mature students and its the best decesion we've made, i have no regrets and love every min of it, i was very worried i wouldn't be able for the work but i've found the mature students actually do better than the majority of the the young 'uns cause their as lazy as sin,

excuse any spelling errors i'm 2 lazy to go back over them, if you have any questions feel free to ask

Regards,

DESQ2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

DesQ2 wrote: »
    i've found the mature students actually do better than the majority of the the young 'uns cause their as lazy as sin,

Now now, Des, you can't tar us all with the one brush... Some of the matures aren't that great either
    DesQ2 wrote: »
    excuse any spelling errors i'm 2 lazy to go back over them,
    Oh the irony!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭DesQ2

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Now now, Des, you can't tar us all with the one brush... Some of the matures aren't that great either

Oh the irony!

At least i'll admit i'm lazy!! lousy young 'un's with their whole lives ahead of them!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement