Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many hours per week do you give to SFIV?

Options
  • 11-02-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

How much time a week is given to SFIV for you?

I read an article in work today that referenced most top players give 10 - 12 hours a day. (Combined offline and online play.)

I'd be extremely curious as to how many hours the rest of you sink into the game, and does hours spent in practice lend it's self to rankings.

Myself, when the game came out I had the happy opportunity to give it about an hour a day easily every day, and at times a glut of 6 hours a day for about a month.

These days, if I got 2 hours a week I'm doing well.

What about the rest of ye?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

It varies immensly with me, on a normal day I might spend an hour or so in training mode, but I could just as easily not play for ages. Then again if I have someone to play against I'll happily play for hours on end.
    If I had to give a rough estimate per week I'd say about 3 1/2 hours, not including xgc time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I almost exclusively just play at our casuals and tournies now.

I will force myself into training mode to work on some things before Cannes though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It varies between 0 and about 4 a day, depending on what life is throwing at me.

I tend to spend very little time in training though as I prefer to work stuff into my fights organically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

This week? Nothin'. Brütal Legend. Last week? Nothin'. Banjo-Kazooie. Week before? Nothin'. Castlevania. And so forth. Comes and goes.

But ten to twelve hours a day? Was the definitely not per week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Shloer

Some days I do 10-12 easily but usually 4 or 5 I'd say. Lately have been much less due to my internet which I think has levelled out at last so I'll be grinding the rest of my 4 K to G1 over the next while. :)

Ry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Almost nothing. I reckon average a week I'd do 4 or 5 hours not counting casuals. I hate playing online.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

I try to play for 1-2 hours a few times a week......on average about 5-6hrs, after not playing at all the week previously, I was hoping to spend the whole day on G1 today in a push for SG....but got called into work, when I eventually got on, I received about 10 invites, including getting called out by another Vega user(15-0!!:cool:). I believe I'll be very lucky to get to SG at this rate.....another 12,000GP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

15-0 in your favour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

None, a certain **** game that hardly anybody likes takes up my week.

Though i put an hour into playing training today working on the basic Ryu links. Gonna try balance out the 2 again & build my game up all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

oddly enough I've been noticing that my time playing SFIV has been dropping off lately. Finally getting around to wrapping Fallout 3, then I'm going to work through Mass Effect 1 and 2.

In a normal week it would probably be about an hour a day, and 10 minutes or so in training. If I have a patch of constant losses in a row I'll usually spend the next few days solely in training working on my execution.

there's only a small window in my day that it's worth my time playing the game. My brain is usually melted when I get home from work so I usually won't touch the game for at least an hour or so after walking in the door. After 11pm I just can't concentrate enough to play solidly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

15-0 in your favour?
    I probably wouldn't have mentioned it if he won!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Its rare a day goes by where I don't get a little SF4 in , an hour to 3 hours a day on average.

It goes up and down. I do have periods of no SF at all but that it doesn't stay that way for long.

I don't spend enough time learning stuff though as in new match up stuff, new methods/characters reading up on stuff watching vids. I really wanna start doing this more, I wanna get better.

Atm I just play online on stick and this keeps me experienced but hurts my game a lot as well. I notice when playing on pad now I'm afraid to do srks due to being so slow at them on stick.

My problem is, reading about SF4, watching vids of sf4, just makes me wanna play it. So I end up playing online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I made a big push there recently to get into G1 and at that time was playing about 2 hours a night every night. Now that I'm there I'm content.

At the moment I'm playing a few hours a week but I've made the decision to quit my xbox live to concentrate on my research. That means no more SF4 online, only casuals and tournnaments from now on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Dunjohn wrote: »
    But ten to twelve hours a day? Was the definitely not per week?

A day.
    Maj: When you enter multiple games in a major tournament, how do you keep them all straight?

CaliPower: That depends on your practice regimen. You have to keep up with every game, all the new findings etc. Raw talent is not enough to do this. I practiced about 8-12 hours a day in my youth.

(Interview was with Alex Valle, is an intresting read.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

10-12 hours a week won't keep you in top form in most competitive games I can think of, especially ones that require tons of specific and fast muscle memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Well, if you're doing it professionally, I suppose I can understand that. I hope to Odin that this doesn't apply to people who have to work a job, food, social life and sleep in there too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Just like any hobby!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Speedhaak

Usually 1-3 hours a day, pending work and training. Now that I've switch to 'Rog it'll probably become more as I need to learn the ins and outs of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

A-Trak wrote: »
    I read an article in work today that referenced most top players give 10 - 12 hours a day.

............:eek:

About three or four hours a week for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Depends very much on how crazy college is in a given week. Usually I'll be able to squeeze in an hour a day on average, but that's usually in 2 or 3 hour spurts across a whole week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

None at the moment. I'm lucky if I get home from college these days before 10 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    None at the moment. I'm lucky if I get home from college these days before 10 :(
    And therin lies my problem too XD

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Least your in the same country as the copy of your game...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

None.

Fight the power! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Ever since march, sf4 has been spinning in my xbox, havent played any other games. Even games I got as presents for christmas. College work has been buliding up on me now though so ive been rarely playing. It'l prob be less now untill after second semester exams. Bioshock 2'l prob take up some more spare time so for the first time sf4 will take the back seat for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

from releast till july i was playing 8 hours a day and making progress no where near that much now

Advertisement