Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Authority Expenses

Options
  • 11-02-2010 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭

Congratulations to Clare County Council, who became the first Local Authority to publish their councillors, County Managers, etc. expenses and meetings attended. Available here: http://www.clarecoco.ie/publications/publications.html

I think it was a good idea to include the detail on meetings attended.

So, will the others follow suit?

What do you make of the expenses in terms of value for money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

our town paper had a report (originally in the sunday times) about a local councillor claiming for 2 conferences which were on the same day, this guy would be the heir apparent to our current ageing fg td, wont be getting my vote.
    http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalnews/EXCLUSIVE--Councillor-refunds-double.6002565.jp
    Cllr. Slowey who admitted to claiming expenses for both conferences said: "I don't think that it was ethical to do that. I did it but once
    I realised that there was a mistake and I shouldn't have done it then I immediately refunded the expenses for travelling to Border Regional Authority (milage, subsistance and conference fee). I thought that was the best thing that I could have done, otherwise you could be accused of double claiming. I regret the mistake. I put my hands up."

now why dont i beleive that, or has the current crop of scandals mae me uber cynical

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

16 of them attended the same conference in Antrim on 23 & 24 of January. THe minimum received was €750 and the majority of them received near €1,000. Are we to believe that they all drove up or are the hotels in Dunadry, Co. Antrim 7 star.

Joe Arkin - €1743 for computer equipment & €965 for desktop PC. Are we kitting out computer labs for them

Councillor Cathal Crowe - €126 for a paper guillotine & €996 for an autofolder.

MartinYale959Folder.jpg
    €963 for professional Web design (maybe for his leaflet distribution business)

During 2007 & 2008 Councillor Crowe handed out leaflets for Willie O' Dea to approx 2000 homes and received €13,000 for this

http://www.politics.ie/munster/106959-cllr-cathal-crowe-bills-us-e13000-2.html#post2134286

Michael Begley can attend a 3 day conferencein Dublin for €396 but a 1 day conference for Joe Cooney costs him €769. . The longest possible route from Co Clare to Dublin is 193 miles - 386 return.

Then they wonder why we don't trust them. I'm sure there's more holes to be picked in them, I just glanced through them

Advertisement