Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sore, chapped hands.

• 11-02-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭

The skin on my hands is gone very dry, sore and chapped the past few months. Any advice? I am using any hand and body lotion I have but nothing really helps even when I reapply every few hours!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's a curse of the cold weather. Mine are the same. They look like chicken's feet :(.

I just use a hand cream with plenty of shea butter in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Faith wrote: »
    It's a curse of the cold weather. Mine are the same. They look like chicken's feet :(.

I just use a hand cream with plenty of shea butter in it.

It has never happen any other year! They look crap but worse it feel tight and sore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

I recommend aloe vera to help cool it down. I use it all the time for sunburn and blisters. Gets rid of the soreness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭2manyconditions

My mother usta use Neutrogena Hand cream for dry and cracked skin on her hands. She said it was good. I've not used it myself though.

Do you wear gloves outside to protect them from the elements. And drink enough water etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Put on lots of hand cream and wear cotton gloves in bed for about a week. If that doesnt work Id say you may need to see a doctor, my friends hands are like that, and she has to get a steroid cream for hers, she is sometimes in agony!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Wear gloves but not in the past few weeks after the ice and snow melted. I'll try the gloves in bed. Think I have some I got free at one stage. Need to drink more water anyway. Maybe omega 3/6 oil tablets or something similar might help. What do you think? I used Neutrogena once before. It's good but didn't like the smell but will put up with it until the weather improves.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Try Aqueous Cream, my hands have been in even worse condition the last few weeks in particular. Really cheap to get in Boots or wherever and it's lovely and thick. You can get cotton gloves in Boots too. I keep meaning to do that myself.

If you have dead skin or your skin is feeling rough, use a mix of almond oil and sugar to scrub it, the almond oil will moisturise the skin too! It's lovely and isn't tough on broken skin as it might sound.

I have dermatitis on my hands so they're in rag order lately and this works for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Vaseline Intensive Relief and Repair balm is fantastic for very dry cracked skin. Once you have it back to good condition, L'occitanes Shea Butter creme pour les mains is really good and non-greasy for maintaining your skin.

The Vaseline one is about 5 or 6 euros and the L'occitane one is much more expensive but one tube lasts me about 9 months with daily use. Retails about 22 euros I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Good oldfashioned neutrogena is the ONLY thing that works for me. Forget all your expensive creams with shea butter or coconut oil, this costs about €4, you only use a tiny amount and it works wonders.

Unlike most handcreams, it stays on your hands for ages even after washing so you don't have to keep reapplying it. For me that's the problem with most creams - they only last a while so they don't moisturise properly and your skin is left still dry and cracked after.

My hands were in an awful state around Christmas and nothing else worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Neutrogena is brilliant my mums hands crack and bleed and it is the only thing that heals them up. Mine got really dry and she got me a bottle and it really works expecially if you spend a lot of time outside.

• Advertisement
Advertisement