Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much Oil Reserves Does Ireland Have?

Options
  • 11-02-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching that Shell to Sea thing on TV3 but I missed the start. How much oil and gas do we have and what kind of deals have been struck with Shell and others? I googled it but most of the sources of info are dubious. Is it in the trillions? Are we to going to see any of that or are Shell going to "steal" it as the protesters claim? Theres literally no info to be had online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

....yep...theres a trillion billion million quadrillion barrels of gas out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

At least 90 days supply
    Arising from membership of both the European Union (EU) and the International Energy Agency (IEA), Ireland has obligations to maintain 90 day reserves of national strategic stocks.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Energy/Oil+Supply+Division/Ireland+s+Current+Stock+Levels.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

look under economy here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I heard awhile back that we practically have no reserves. We are effectively living hand to mouth when it comes to these resources. Given our size and what are probably half arsed policies from government, its no surprise.
    Cant back this up with stats. Just heard it on some debate on morning radio.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Oil bet it's not much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

antodeco wrote: »
    Oil bet it's not much

Dunno but Oil says its not much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,403 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

antodeco wrote: »
    Oil bet it's not much

That's gas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The Corrib field has 40 billion worth I think, or maybe 4. I'm not sure which.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭DogmaticLefty

The answer is 0. Shell own all the rights.

The answer is 0. Shell own all the rights.

Prove it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

At least 90 days supply

Yes and all of it held in Gerry Ryans hair.

Should he die suddenly then, as I understand it, we don't have a plan B. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

There is at least 6 billion euros of oil off the coast of Kerry. There is more than likely a fair few gas fields out there and we were recently granted an generous extension to our international sea boundary. There is most likely a huge reserve of oil far off the coast.

There is also meant to be some type of commodity near the north rock.

Irleand probably certainly has gold zinc silver and lead... and who knows what rare earth minerals we have that might be worth a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

pirelli wrote: »

Irleand probably certainly has gold zinc silver and lead... and who knows what rare earth minerals we have that might be worth a fortune.

Now we know for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

DamoDLK wrote: »
    Prove it?
    Watched the news over the past 2 year...ever? The Irish government gave Shell the contract to basically collect and use Irish offshore oil for some amount of millions. Essentially, what we did was go for the short-term boost in revenue rather than harvesting the oil and making money on it. Then again, maybe the government reckoned the cost of getting the infrastructure set up for it didn't warrant the gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

IRcolm wrote: »
    Now we know for sure...

I hear we almost defiantly might have large deposits of unobtanium hidden in the cliffs of the wicklow coast as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is there any source for that information? As in a link?

EDIT: @ the people saying its all been handed over to Shell.

pirelli wrote: »

IRcolm wrote: »
    Now we know for sure...

Possibily there are rare earth minerals and certainly we have many other commodities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Plenty of snake oil in reserve beneath Dail Eireann apparently.

Wazdakka wrote: »
    I hear we almost defiantly might have large deposits of unobtanium hidden in the cliffs of the wicklow coast as well.

We definitely don't. How is it cool to screw up your spelling in a vain attempt to undermine my typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Thargor wrote: »
    what kind of deals have been struck with Shell and others?

a deal involving magic beans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fat liar

The protests cost the taxpayers 11 million! That could fill some ball of potholes!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

Shell doesnt have to pay us any royalties on our gas thanks to a great deal done on our behalf by Ray Burke the dirty Fianna Fail convict.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

ok the deal was pretty crap but at that time, we didnt have any money to go searching for oil off the coast. I guess the government figured that the employment & security of supply that any find would provide was payment enough, not to mention the taxes that will be paid on profits made after capital costs have been covered.

I think the reasons for this plant far out way any reason against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

fat liar wrote: »
    I think the reasons for this plant far out way any reason against.

you're a fat liar

Ha ha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,432 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why do you think I was stationed out in Clare for so many years?

>_>

<_<

80 million barrels. Low priority. Abort! Abort!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Well with the Saps in the Dail, we'll never utilise our natural resources properly. We are an island nation with just one national marine research vessel, that's how forward planning our governments have been over the years. Have a look at the link below it might give a clear answer to the OP.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ireland-on-the-verge-of-an-oil-and-gas-bonanza-679889.html

jumpguy wrote: »
    Watched the news over the past 2 year...ever? The Irish government gave Shell the contract to basically collect and use Irish offshore oil for some amount of millions. Essentially, what we did was go for the short-term boost in revenue rather than harvesting the oil and making money on it. Then again, maybe the government reckoned the cost of getting the infrastructure set up for it didn't warrant the gain.

I asked the other chap to prove it (deliberately) He said "they own all the rights"

I'm quite aware of the situation, I do raise an eyebrow over your contract point, which I believe is flippant (purely from a legal point of view)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mickdw wrote: »
    ok the deal was pretty crap but at that time, we didnt have any money to go searching for oil off the coast. I guess the government figured that the employment & security of supply that any find would provide was payment enough, not to mention the taxes that will be paid on profits made after capital costs have been covered.

After hours talking sense fail!

Schoolboy error mick, only witty retorts and anti FF messages may be posted here.

Advertisement