Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banoffee Pie

Options
  • 11-02-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi, I'm making banoffee pie for the first time. If I boil the tin of condensed milk on Friday night would it be ok to set aside until Saturday and use then?
    I was going to make the base Fri night and have the milk boiled and then make the pie on Saturday as I'm afraid the bananas will go soggy and go off if i make it Fri night. Or would I be better to do the base, bananas, toffee on top and then when i'm serving pop the cream on??

Thanks for your help!!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Your fine boiling the condensed milk tin on Friday night and leaving unopened until Saturday. You can also make your base in advance but cling it. Then just but the whole thing together on Saturday.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

just make the pie without the bananas on friday night. on saturday after you have whipped the cream, add the bananas to either the cream or put them on the top of the pie

i do this all the time and its fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Don't bother boiling it at all, just use the Banoffee pie filling recipe on the Carnation website. It's quicker, easier, and safer.

You can simply bake your case, cool it, then fill with most of the filling. Layer your sliced bananas over it, then pour over the remaining filling to cover - this will prevent air getting to the bananas and turning them brown. Refrigerate it. Next day, just whip your cream, pipe/spread it on, and you're good to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Are you boiling the condensed milk in the tin, unopened? Is that safe? :eek:

When I make Banoffee Pie I just do the brown sugar and butter in a pot, then pour the condensed milk into that and bring to a boil.

As irishbird said, you could make the whole pie on the Friday and leave in the fridge, then just add the toppings after dinner.

I love banoffee pie.:)

Should this be in the Cake and Pie forum I wonder.

• Advertisement

Don't bother boiling it at all, just use the Banoffee pie filling recipe on the Carnation website. It's quicker, easier, and safer.

Once the OP's particular condensed milk doesn't need the long boiling effort that the ones I'm familiar with require. Your link does look handy though it may refer to that particular condensed milk only?
    Des wrote: »
    Are you boiling the condensed milk in the tin, unopened? Is that safe? :eek:

Yep, depending on the product of course though. I'm assuming from Cled's opening post that the condensed milk s/he bought has a longish boiling process attached.

As always refer to the cooking guidelines for the specific product. If you are boiling it over a period of hours, don't let it boil dry!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Boiling tins of condensed milk isn't recommended, but it is effective! Just make sure there's always plenty of water in the pan, and be very careful when opening.

Des - if you added golden syrup to your caramel, it would be even nicer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Before you whip your cream, add some unwhipped cream to the caramel and some vanilla essence, this will loosen the caramel as it can be stiff after being cooked in the tin.

When you put your bananas onto the caramel, brush them lightly with some lemon juice (dont drip the banana in the lemon juice as they will go slimey) this will stop them going brown.

Faith wrote: »
    Des - if you added golden syrup to your caramel, it would be even nicer!

Oh, must try that, thanks.

Faith wrote: »
    Boiling tins of condensed milk isn't recommended

How come?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

How come?

I think because if the can isn't completely submerged it can explode!

Malari wrote: »
    I think because if the can isn't completely submerged it can explode!

Oh it certainly will. Doesn't seem a good enough reason not to do it though. Loads of things can go very wrong in the kitchen if you don't keep an eye on them.

Oh it certainly will. Doesn't seem a good enough reason not to do it though. Loads of things can go very wrong in the kitchen if you don't keep an eye on them.

Oh I see, yeah I agree. I guess enough people have put the can on the boil and wandered off for 2 hours without checking on the water level to warrant putting a warning on the can.

I do remember once not letting it cool enough before opening the can and I was alone, standing on the kitchen counter, in stitches laughing, scraping caramel off the ceiling when my flatmate walked in. :eek::D

Come to think of it, if it's banana and caramel (not toffee) why isn't it called Banaramel Pie!? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Once the OP's particular condensed milk doesn't need the long boiling effort that the ones I'm familiar with require. Your link does look handy though it may refer to that particular condensed milk only?

For boiling/steaming in the can, longer cooking times affect final texture, from a runny filling to a thick paste. How long it takes to get to your desired stage will depend on the sugar content (both sucrose and lactose) and water content of the brand of condensed milk, which may differ. The problem is, you can't tell what the consistency is like as the can is completely sealed, so you won't know until it cools and you can open it.

That is why I prefer to cook it as above, as I can get it to how I want it, and besides, I know I'd forget about it and don't particularly enjoy the idea of cleaning toffee off the walls :) Any brand of condensed milk can be used with that recipe, Carnation actually sell cans of caramel filling already made.
    Come to think of it, if it's banana and caramel (not toffee) why isn't it called Banaramel Pie!?

It could be because, seeing as Banoffee was invented in England, they compared the texture of the cooked condensed milk to the soft texture of the toffee confections they knew, even though soft and chewy "toffees" should rightfully be called "caramels." Or maybe they just thought it sounded better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Have been boiling the Carnation tins for years...you need to keep an eye and ensure the water doesn't boil out but other than that, I haven't had problems- usually boil it for 2hrs 20 mins and then turn off the pot and leave it to go cold...good thick 'paste' consistency every time..

Cicero wrote: »
    usually boil it for 2hrs 20 mins

:eek:

That seals the deal for me then, I can make a perfectly good banoffee pie in about a half hour, using carnation milk, butter and brown sugar.

Boiling a tin, and keeping an eye on it for two and a half hours, wow.

Des wrote: »
    :eek:

That seals the deal for me then, I can make a perfectly good banoffee pie in about a half hour, using carnation milk, butter and brown sugar.

Boiling a tin, and keeping an eye on it for two and a half hours, wow.

..yea, I'm v. interested to try it the other way (yours) outlined on the Carnation website...will report back here if I do it in the next few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I do the butter sugar condensed milk thing, never boiled the tin but Carnation have brought out a tin of ready made Caramel saw it in the supermarket the other day wasn't sure if it was suitable for banoffie must check because it would save a lot of hassle. I have making that toffee part it I loose patience and it tends to be a tad too runny. Still heart attack yummy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I have tried the butter/sugar/condensed milk method but always get little crystals forming, not necessarily a disaster but would like to know how to avoid....

For now I'll stick to buying the ready made (same price as the milk incidentally) - I like the idea of melting and mixing in a little cream & vanilla extract....

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

muckety wrote: »
    I have tried the butter/sugar/condensed milk method but always get little crystals forming, not necessarily a disaster but would like to know how to avoid....

For now I'll stick to buying the ready made (same price as the milk incidentally) - I like the idea of melting and mixing in a little cream & vanilla extract....

you are burning the sugar.

You need to heat on a very gentle heat, not boiling and stirring all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I've never got the same consistency making it 'out of the tin' as boiling inside.
    I mean - it's really easy, all you do is boil it!
    And you can do a few tins at a time and keep them for future banoffis.
    We've all boiled puds over the years - same principle, don't let it boil dry!

olaola wrote: »
    I've never got the same consistency making it 'out of the tin' as boiling inside.
    I mean - it's really easy, all you do is boil it!
    And you can do a few tins at a time and keep them for future banoffis.
    We've all boiled puds over the years - same principle, don't let it boil dry!

yea...I should have said simmer for 2 hours, not boil......once pot is boiled, reduce heat to lowest setting and keep lid on so you don't have to top up as much- it's simmering from then in....i do think that the difference in taste is down to boiling the tins as opposed to the other ways listed above..I have always got amazed reactions from people who say' have never tasted banoffiee like this before' ...tiny coating of lemon juice on the banana keeps them looking fresh-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

You can also boil the can in a pressure cooker. It's much safer as the pressure in the pot balances out the pressure inside the can. It would take about 50 minutes to have it the right consistency for a banoffee pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Cled

You can simply bake your case, cool it, then fill with most of the filling. Layer your sliced bananas over it, then pour over the remaining filling to cover - this will prevent air getting to the bananas and turning them brown. Refrigerate it. Next day, just whip your cream, pipe/spread it on, and you're good to go.
    Thanks Magic Monkey, I used your link suggestion and it was lovely. Thank you! Very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

Hm I'm trying this out for the first time, and in a foreign country, so getting the ingredients isn't quite so easy. I do think that there's a difference, since I'm now at two attempts and no toffee. :(

I tried boiling the tin, for 3 hours, and what came out was the same milky consistency, just a bit darker. The base soaked it up, and even after cooling down in the fridge it was still runny :(

Then I tried making it out-of-the-tin, melted the butter, melted the sugar, and then added a tin of condensed milk. Not sure if this will ever turn right, but it's been simmering for about 15-20 mins and it's not thickening.

I'm using Barenmarke Kondensmilch 10%, and I think all the domestic Irish condensed milks are sweetened, and all the German ones aren't. It has 153 kcal per 100g. Seems low, therefore I think it hasn't been sweetened.

Any way of fixing this? Or making toffee some other way?

crótach wrote: »
    Hm I'm trying this out for the first time, and in a foreign country, so getting the ingredients isn't quite so easy. I do think that there's a difference, since I'm now at two attempts and no toffee. :(

I tried boiling the tin, for 3 hours, and what came out was the same milky consistency, just a bit darker. The base soaked it up, and even after cooling down in the fridge it was still runny :(

Then I tried making it out-of-the-tin, melted the butter, melted the sugar, and then added a tin of condensed milk. Not sure if this will ever turn right, but it's been simmering for about 15-20 mins and it's not thickening.

I'm using Barenmarke Kondensmilch 10%, and I think all the domestic Irish condensed milks are sweetened, and all the German ones aren't. It has 153 kcal per 100g. Seems low, therefore I think it hasn't been sweetened.

Sounds like evaporated milk to me. The word seems to be used interchangably in German. Try getting sweetened condensed milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

I've tried several different brands, so far nothing worked. I think Nestle's condensed milk is sweetened, I just need to find a shop that sells it.

Any way to know for sure if it doesn't say it on the label? What sort of calorie count does sweetened condensed milk have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Carnation are now selling Caramel in a tin, tis handy http://www.carnation.co.uk/products/caramel
    crótach wrote: »

I dont know what the problem is bar the product being different to the carnation condensed milk but i googled Dulce de leche recipes and this might work for you http://chezpim.com/uncategorized/how-to-make-hom
    Confiture de Lait – Dulce de Leche
    2 litres of whole milk (1/2 gallon)
    500g sugar
    1 teaspoon of sea salt
    2 vanilla pods (optional*)
    Add milk, sugar, and salt into a pot large enough that there are a few inches between the level of the milk and the top of the pot. Cut the vanilla pods lengthwise, scrape the seeds from the pods and add everything into the pot. Turn the heat to medium high, whisk or stir the mixture constantly until it comes to a full boil. Turn the heat down to barely simmer, and continue to cook, uncovered, for 3 hours. When in doubt, turn the heat lower. If the heat is to high your milk will boil over and develop a rough skin on top, which won’t dissolve no matter how much you whisk later. Whereas when the heat is too low you’ll just have to cook it longer, no harm done.
    Check the consistency of your confiture at about 2.5 hours. The consistency you are looking for is a loose caramel. (The confiture will thickens a bit after it cools.) This batch took just over three hours to reach the consistency I like. When it gets there, remove the vanilla pods, whisk the confiture until smooth. Pour into small jars and let cool. When the confiture cools down completely, put the lid on the jars and keep in the fridge.
    Don’t ask me how long it keeps. I have no idea. I’m sure it’ll all be gone before it goes bad anyhow.
    *The classic Delce de Leche doesn’t have vanilla in it, but the classic Confiture de Lait does. I adore the beautiful flecks of vanilla in my confiture and love the aroma it adds to it. Whether you add it to yours is entirely up to you.

• Advertisement

I just so happen to have a tin in the cupboard! It's 325 kcals per 100g. The only ingredients are whole milk and sugar.

Advertisement