Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banoffee Pie

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

Excellent! Thanks a mil!

I picked up one from Nestle and it's 330 kcals per 100g, so we're looking good! The tin's in the pressure cooker, we'll see how it goes in about half an hour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

It worked out great, nice thick creamy toffee came out of the Nestle Milchmaedchen tin :)

Banoffee is cooling in the fridge, it'll be a nice surprise for tonite! Thanks folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Good stuff! Must do something with my unused tin now too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

another vote for boiling (simmering) in the tin. cooking it out of the tin just doesn't give the same thick, smooth creamy texture. i don't find the pre-cooked caramel carnation sells is the right texture either IMHO.

2h20m is spot on for the timing too. no issues with exploding tins either in the many years my wife and i have been doing it, you just have to make sure your water doesn't boil off. i also flip the tins over onto their lids halfway through just to get an even caramelisation throughout the tin although if you have a deep enough pot and a small wire rack to lift it off the bottom this shouldn't be an issue.

also, condensed milk will quite literally keep for years, even if you've already boiled it to caramel so no reason to have to spend time boiling it off if you're in a rush, just pre-boil it any time ahead of when you will need it.

also, another vote here for the squeeze of lemon juice to stop the banana from discolouring. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

The best way is similar to the Caranation way above, and it applies to all condensed milk (but I have yet to find another brand bar caranation :o )
    Faith wrote: »
    Boiling tins of condensed milk isn't recommended, but it is effective! Just make sure there's always plenty of water in the pan, and be very careful when opening.

Des - if you added golden syrup to your caramel, it would be even nicer!

Do it's amazing, we use condensed milk, butter, sugar, golden syrup, we get two pies from one tin of milk :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement