Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JOHN DEASY AT IT AGAIN.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

He's a twat.

(and that comes from a FG voter).

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

johngalway wrote: »
    He's a twat.

(and that comes from a FG voter).
    +1 to that but he is a dangerous twat with that kind of talk,its people like him who know nothing about shooting who pose the biggest threat to our sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Was sent this most intresting link http://www.finegael.org/views/

This is apprently well monitored by FG PR munchkins. Now after the George Lee debacle and FG backbenchers telling "Cardboard" Kenny to ship up and fly straight,the last thing they would need is 200k worth of peed off gunowners telling them where to get off ,with no votes for them unless "its my right to smoke in the Dail bar despite a smoking ban for the peasents out there" Deasy pipes down and gets back to his job of commenting on whats going on in the really real world.Or attempting to get somone daft enough to invest money in this great little nation of ours...:rolleyes::rolleyes: After all he has spoken in the Dail 23 times ,five of them on handguns.Thats 21.3% of the times he has gobbed off on handguns in his dail statements.So proably if he didnt spout off about handguns,he would be a lot less in the papers.
    Anyways,let them know whats what.Keep it CIVIL of course.We dont want poor mr Deasy to feel threatned and intimidated like he claimed when he recived loads of letters during the handgun ban debate last year now do we??? Poor littlle diddums,scared of the nasty handgun owners was he???:rolleyes:Or give him the chance to make media hay out of it either.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

to be honest after the george lee carry on i think fine gael have had enough controversy for the moment and fianna fail are gaining ground on them in the polls.

i think its just his hobby horse for the moment and it won't be long until he is told to shut-it and let charlie flanagan do his job, and also the public have more pressing things to worry about , economy , nama , crime , emigration , the list is long and private ownership of pistols is waaaaay down the list to most of them, 450 out of a population of 4 million :rolleyes: , hardly the wild west.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Ya - I banged off an email to Michael Noonan FG East Limerick in Nov 2008 and here is the reply...

NOTE: THIS IS FINE GAEL POLICY>

Dear (sensible pistol owner, Fine gael voter)

Fine Gael believes that any proposed changes to legislation should
    at all times be based on reliable research and best practice. Fine Gael believes that public safety must be the paramount guiding principle informing policy and legislation in respect of firearms.
    If the current legislative provisions in respect of firearms are
    creating a danger to public safety, then appropriate steps must be
    taken. Accordingly, if the Minister for Justice has evidence that the
    increased number of firearms licences in the country is posing a threat to
    public safety, then options such as restricting licences to sporting
    facilities that meet approved criteria should be considered.
    Fine Gael is extremely concerned that the Minister is focusing
    on legally held firearms to shift attention away from the far more
    serious problem caused by illegal firearms in the State. It is common
    knowledge that criminal gangs have easy access to dangerous firearms and there
    is evidence that they travel overseas to avail of top of the range
    training facilities. Fine Gael is urging the Minister for Justice to direct
    his attention in the first instance towards the serious matter of
    illegal firearms as part of a broader effort to tackle criminality in
    this country.
    Yours sincerely,
    MICHAEL NOONAN, T.D.

I asked Michael Noonan to inquire why is Deasy deviating against Fine Gael policy? What is his agenda?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

knockon wrote: »
    Ya - I banged off an email to Michael Noonan FG East Limerick in Nov 2008 and here is the reply...

at all times be based on reliable research and best practice. Fine Gael believes that public safety must be the paramount guiding principle informing policy and legislation in respect of firearms.
    this country.
    Yours sincerely,
    MICHAEL NOONAN, T.D.

I asked Michael Noonan to inquire why is Deasy deviating against Fine Gael policy? What is his agenda?

This is time travel. :D

It's a standard response they used during the run up to the 2009 Misc. Provisions Act.

Tell Michael Noonan that it's now 2010 and that he's slept through most of 2009 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

A good idea would be to maintain a list of so called politicians who target legitimate shooting sports and gun owners for their own gain.

When the next election comes it should be time to stop all the voting for the good old boys down the road or the guy that Daddy voted for, and deliberately vote against these people, even if it's for the Ruile Buile party.

It's the only language they understand. I personally will never vote FF again, my family won't, and many of my friends won't either ! When they call here I'll be telling them why, looks like FG can add themselves to the list if they don't watch out.

I still think the best ones for us are Labour, particulary Pat Rabbitte (and no I could not normally give a sh**e about party politics and the next crowd could always be worse etc.) However, I do know that changing the Muppets every once and a while means a better show.

If Boards were keeping a sticky of negative comments by elected officials, by party, with perhaps the links of statements attached I think that would be a good thing. It's too easy to forget who said what when you're filling out the ballot sheets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

freddieot wrote: »
    A good idea would be to maintain a list of so called politicians who target legitimate shooting sports and gun owners for their own gain.

When the next election comes it should be time to stop all the voting for the good old boys down the road or the guy that Daddy voted for, and deliberately vote against these people, even if it's for the Ruile Buile party.

It's the only language they understand. I personally will never vote FF again, my family won't, and many of my friends won't either ! When they call here I'll be telling them why, looks like FG can add themselves to the list if they don't watch out.

I still think the best ones for us are Labour, particulary Pat Rabbitte (and no I could not normally give a sh**e about party politics and the next crowd could always be worse etc.) However, I do know that changing the Muppets every once and a while means a better show.

If Boards were keeping a sticky of negative comments by elected officials, by party, with perhaps the links of statements attached I think that would be a good thing. It's too easy to forget who said what when you're filling out the ballot sheets.

Try the press clippings thread. All politicians speak in order to be printed so their collected witterings will be stored there in perpetuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Also Remember, Michael Noonan was one of the many ministers for justice who refused to overturn the 1972 temporary custody order. Cant see him being any different now.

All politicians who are not in government will play the anti government game for their own gain.
    thats what politics is all about,bitching and biting at each other and using our issues as a political football.
    what we really need is a difinitive answer from each party on their firearms policy and now is the time to start looking for that.
    we need all the parties to go on record and tell us exactly what they see as a fair and sensible approach to firearms licencing and not just one persons views.
    the NGBs should start by calling for meetings with all the parties and thrash out a solution thats works for the future.
    just remember that coming up to a general election is not the best time to do this because they will all promise you the sun moon and stars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

That article in original post was from 28th January. I think it was mentioned here at the time. 2 weeks is an eternity in politics / media, and basically was forgotten about - so why repost it?
    In the mind of John Deasy, the more he's talked about, the better (he clearly doesn't do a whole lot else to get noticed). Just ignore him like the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 quigley

Grizzly 45 has the right idea, in my opinion, in showing how Licence holders can indicate to FG the consequences of Mr Deasy's outbursts. If we do not respond in a manner that the politicians understand, then they will regard the present licencing regeime as a done deal. For my part, I have emailed FG to tell them that the five votes in my house are now lost to FG, unless they begin to see, and support, our legitimate position. Incidentially, all my family are involved in the shooting sports.

QUOTE=freddieot;64434652]A good idea would be to maintain a list of so called politicians who target legitimate shooting sports and gun owners for their own gain.

Good idea...The antis have only been doing this for the last decade!!!
    A perusal of the ICABS letter writing page gives a fine list of pro and anti fieldsports TDs and senators in the Dail.Catch up time people!

There is a good article on this in the Hindsight colum in antique arms &militaria mag on sale this month.
    in short; The Uk is facing an election this year,and the Tories are pushing again the pro fieldsports/countryside agenda.Even promising a free vote on overturning the foxhunting ban.Be this as it may the Tories have just a bad track record on gun law and fieldsports as Labour.Witness Hungerford,and the green paper on firearms reduction under Thatcher.the other push through of legislation under that civil service looking bloke between Thatcher and Blair,and finally Labour riling up the countryside with the foxhunting ban and the non handling of Dunblane,the VCR act and other disasters.Point is; none of them are worth their election promises.
    The solution really is that we should become single issue voters on this with a cross party agenda.
    As we see ourselves here we have got pro gun in all the parties .Labour and Charlie Flannagans remarkable road to Damascus conversion[I still have my doubts about him mind,considering his weird add on to the CJB about being prosecutable for not reporting a firearms theft.] Yet we have in the same party Deasy.We apprently have pro shooting Greens as well.
    So maybe this is the way forward for us here politically?we might as well be single issue voters,as I doubt any party will be able to sort out the ecnomic mess and depression that this country is in for the next decade anyway.But we can make sure that only pro gun canditates get our vote in the next elections,whatever their political views and hues.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

rrpc wrote: »
    This is time travel. :D

It's a standard response they used during the run up to the 2009 Misc. Provisions Act.

Tell Michael Noonan that it's now 2010 and that he's slept through most of 2009 :D

He wasnt much better in the 1980s either ,belive you me.He was my old geography teacher in the Cresent Comp Limerick:eek::eek::eek:.I remember having it out with him once when he came back as minister for justice to a school function just about the TCA 1972.Excuse was the IRA,NI problem etc,possibly justifable at the time as it was around the hunger strikes,etc,but still.IOW in good Irish political tradition whatever you do ..Do nothing!Good teacher though,did encourge in me a lot of self confidence.We need more of his kind in the classroom and not in the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

civdef ,

ignoring these misinformed people and sticking our heads in the sand is probably a major factor as to why we are where we are now ..

instead of been proactive we tried to hide away .. so that it viewed to outsiders that our sport was both closed and looked dangerous and thus a good target to get in to the media.

Instead of making our associations actually operate in the best interests of our sport they more or less looked after their own and pulled in different directions .

it does no harm in airing your views in a civil manner to FG and labor and the other shower.

while I’m not a pistol shooter I hate the way guys I know have been treated and forced to go to court and seen as there is f**k between the parties on how they are going to band aid the mess this country is in ,my sport will be a factor in how I vote ... it is also the same for my wife as she doesn’t like the treatment of people we know ..

so the number is much larger than 450 pistol shooters .. you have the backing of many more .. but sure if we all stay quiet and ignore them then our views are bound to be noticed !!!

civdef wrote: »
    That article in original post was from 28th January. I think it was mentioned here at the time. 2 weeks is an eternity in politics / media, and basically was forgotten about - so why repost it?
    In the mind of John Deasy, the more he's talked about, the better (he clearly doesn't do a whole lot else to get noticed). Just ignore him like the rest of the world.

If you ignore him he is then unaware that he has potentially cost his party votes. FG must understand the depth of anger that Firearms owners have at this time. Deasy like Ahearn are "public servants" and they are put where they are by people like us. The possibility of any TD losing votes is enough I hope to make them see Firearms Licensing and ownership in a more balanced approach.

knockon wrote: »

this country.
    Yours sincerely,
    MICHAEL NOONAN, T.D.

regarding that response,,just got the exact same reply from fine gael HQ in response to my submission to air your views
    it seems to be their common statment for now.

daveob007 wrote: »
    regarding that response,,just got the exact same reply from fine gael HQ in response to my submission to air your views
    it seems to be their common statment for now.

And thats from 2008 Dave!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I don't agree that this is head in the sand stuff. Deasy is only doing this for the publicity he gets from it - he does feck all else to get him any.
    Any publicity is good publicity - remember last time he managed to turn letters from shooters into a "campaign of intimidation by the gun lobby".
    Digging up "old" articles he got into the national press with his stirring is not helping anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

Taking that approach , then he can more or less say what he wants without response from anyone .. I know of no one who sent a letter that wasn’t civil (not saying some weren’t but the people who sent them did no one favors).

But I would rather say my point via the open FG web site then direct to him .. if he has threaten letters why not produce them and if sent on email why have the police not been involved as I’m fairly sure that imitation of a TD is illegal .

I’m sorry I’m just not apathetic enough to not at least send a email(yet)

and it may have been old news to you ,But I was only shown it a few days ago and I sent it to others who didn’t see it either at the time !.

Im not having a go and each to there own .. but cant see the advantage to us for not resonding to one of the ELECTED officals of this country !!

Darr

• Advertisement

Anti gun and fieldsports senator for the Greens Deirde De Burcha resigned from the Green party today..:D:D:D:D.Reading her transcripts of the Senad debate on handgun ownership makes you wonder wether she was trained by handgun control inc.
    Claims she is disappointed in Gormless leadership and that the Greens are losing their way.
    No great loss to Irish poltical life,and a boon to gunowners and fieldsports in Ireland.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Anti gun and fieldsports senator for the Greens Deirde De Burcha resigned from the Green party today..:D:D:D:D.Reading her transcripts of the Senad debate on handgun ownership makes you wonder wether she was trained by handgun control inc.
    Claims she is disappointed in Gormless leadership and that the Greens are losing their way.
    No great loss to Irish poltical life,and a boon to gunowners and fieldsports in Ireland.:)

the green party are in the bowl and its just a matter of time until the public pull the chain and flush them away forever , after all anyone who lies down with fianna fail get the crap kicked out of them the next time out , i was thrilled when she lost her deposit the last time out :D the look on her face was priceless !

The only thing that the greens have in common with us shooters is the awful waste of paper in applying for a cert.
    other than that good riddens to them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

The sooner the Greens are al gone the batte - don't fancy carrying my rifle around the country on a bike :D

Advertisement