Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer is good for your bones

Options
  • 11-02-2010 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

Researchers say that ale rich in the nutrient silicon can help prevent bone diseases like osteoporosis.
    The body absorbs half of the silicon in a pint, potentially making it a major source of bone strengthening goodness.
    But don't get too excited... not all beers contain high amounts of the healthy nutrient.
    Tests carried out on 100 beers revealed that light lagers made from grains like corn had the lowest levels of dietary silicon whereas hops came out tops.
    Charles Bamforth from the University of California said: "Beers containing high levels of malted barley and hops are richest in silicon.
    "While most of the silicon remains in the husk during brewing, significant quantities of silicon nonetheless are extracted into wort and much of this survives into beer."

Source

Its got me convinced Im switching my vodka for beer :D:D:D:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

It's also good for staving off sobriety. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

Beer is carbonated though and carbonated drinks inhibit the absorption of calcium... Strange
    I'm fairly sure of that anyway..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Keogg wrote: »
    Beer is carbonated though and carbonated drinks inhibit the absorption of calcium... Strange

Surely it's just the calcium from the drink in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Beer is bad for your bone :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Pity it's not good for lots of other parts of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Yeah but scientists have said it, granted they come up with ridiculous thing but I like this one and Im going to believe them :p:p:p and nobody will put a dampener on it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

rarnes1 wrote: »

Quite true :o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Steel Pump

Might be good for your bones but what about your muscles??

only thing good for muscle is pumpin steel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

something causes something...good job team science....here's more funding so you can find out some other bit of information that will be ignored forever after about 2 months. nerds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

rarnes1 wrote: »

Bad for your boners would have been better :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Beer actually makes you smarter...

Ok.. Bear with me for a minute here.

We all know that alcohol kills off brain cells yea?
    Well it's the weaker ones that are going to go first.

And, you know the way we build up muscles? You actually tear them and your body repairs them but beefs them up a bit to stop them tearing so easily.

Same thing with broken bones.. After it's been healed the part that was broken is stronger and thicker than it was before it broke.

Sooooooo..
    Beer makes you smarter... Pure Logic..

Think about it.. You even feel smarter when you've been drinking.
    You become completely prepared to have a discussion and often argue a point about a topic that you had absolutely no knowledge about whatsoever when you were sober.

Quickly boards.. To the off license one and all..
    Lets drink our way to a higher national IQ and the knowledge needed to create the carefree Utopian society that we deserve.

Oh.. It's after 10 OClock.... Well that's that plan knackered then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I wonder how long a 'Mephedrone Improves Heart Function' thread would last.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

another excuse for the bingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Pffft, bingers don't need excuses silly!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

BuzzKill.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Absolutely and plenty of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

anyones who's had gout will know beer is BAD for ur bones

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

woo getting drunk rocks, Im cool. Never understood the Irish fascination with drink. Considering what larger does to Irish women. Larger/Larger!

Advertisement