Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC moving house fees

• 11-02-2010 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a basic NTL tv package. I want to upgrade to 5mb broadband and phone. I called UPC to check on the full price of the deal including setup fees. I told them I will be moving house in 3 or 4 months, and asked how much it would cost to move. Also if broadband was not available in the area i move to, what are the relevant cancellation charges.

I spoke with 5 different people in sales.

3 said no moving charges and UPC will seek no cancellation fee if they can't provide broadband. 2 said no moving charges and a E100 cancellation fee.
    I checked out their terms and conditions. It says moving fee and cancellation fee , possibly up to 12 months of contract is applicable.

Anyone had experience with this issue? I have a rubbish Meteor Togo service at the moment and am going nuts, average speeds of 40kb/s in Dublin City centre. Thats 40kb/s!

Thanks in advance! Trusting this message will upload eventually. . .. .
    Conor

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

con1982 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have a basic NTL tv package. I want to upgrade to 5mb broadband and phone. I called UPC to check on the full price of the deal including setup fees. I told them I will be moving house in 3 or 4 months, and asked how much it would cost to move. Also if broadband was not available in the area i move to, what are the relevant cancellation charges.

I spoke with 5 different people in sales.

3 said no moving charges and UPC will seek no cancellation fee if they can't provide broadband. 2 said no moving charges and a E100 cancellation fee.
    I checked out their terms and conditions. It says moving fee and cancellation fee , possibly up to 12 months of contract is applicable.

Anyone had experience with this issue? I have a rubbish Meteor Togo service at the moment and am going nuts, average speeds of 40kb/s in Dublin City centre. Thats 40kb/s!

Thanks in advance! Trusting this message will upload eventually. . .. .
    Conor

Where there is such obvious uncertainty I would request a written response before signing up for any additional services. Their terms and conditions are a mess and certainly the NTL ones are very much out of date given some of the references in them.

In reality peoples' experiences here do not matter in these cases get it in writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I'm in the middle of an issue with this right now. I emailed their moving home Dept in October last year. Stated i was moving 13th December but I hadn't got a forwarding address yet as i was moving home to the folks for Xmas. I had broadband since March 2009 and TV since December 2006.

After getting no response i contacted them in December. I was told that i would have to contact them 30 days in advance, stated i did and i was told to forward that email to the resolution team. I did so and told them i was hoping to just move the service but hadn't got an address yet. A few days later i was charged 99.99 for cancellation. I then rang them and the guy realised the mistake. I was told this would be credited and that he'd give me 1 month free as i wouldn't have an address. Sound i thought, all my troubles are over!

So i move in to a new place two weeks ago (99.99 still hadn't been credited and had been charged 60 odd quid for January). I contacted them saying i needed that credited and i wanted to now setup at the new address. Low and behold they cant offer the broadband there and because i could get TV the "no cancellation fee if i move" wasn't holding true as i could get TV ( I was going to stop TV as we wont be using it). I pointed out to them that the 12 month contract on TV was well gone but I was told that id have to cancel that. Im now not sure where i stand. The 99.99 has been credited but what use is it to me sitting as credit with them!! Im told they'll post out a cheque but i wont hold my breath! Has anyone any advice??

Maybe hold out to see what happens to me if you're worried? My "Cancellation date" is set for about 3 weeks time. As i take it i will be due the 99.99 back but will have to pay the TV up til that cancellation date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Thanks for the reply Bambaata.

I emailed UPC as someone suggested and got an extremely vague reply. Pretty much avoiding the question. I'm gonna stay clear until the move.

BTW, Spoke with a sixth NTL sales guy. He was selling really hard and when I asked about terms and conditions he said they arrive with the wireless router and digital box. He said he couldn't send them to me because he had no email........

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

con1982 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Bambaata.

I emailed UPC as someone suggested and got an extremely vague reply. Pretty much avoiding the question. I'm gonna stay clear until the move.

BTW, Spoke with a sixth NTL sales guy. He was selling really hard and when I asked about terms and conditions he said they arrive with the wireless router and digital box. He said he couldn't send them to me because he had no email........

I suppose thats why UPC put up their charges to fund the extension of email facilities within the company. How ultra modern they are getting!

You should have asked him to post them out to you but come to think of it he probably hasnt got a printer.

If a used car salesman adopted those tactics:rolleyes:

They are here:

http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Thanks for the link dub45.

I actually had a printout of these terms and conditions last time I spoke with UPC sales. They contradicted what the sales guy was saying. I told him I had them in front of me and he said the T&C on the net were out of date . . . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aquaz

This is usual with UPC. Move and avoid them AT ALL COSTS. You will never get a straight answer from them, their staff are rude and unprofessional. Once their service breaks down or there is an irregularity, which guaranteed there will be, they are a complete and utter nightmare.

Advertisement