Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Greatest 'One Club Players' XI

• 11-02-2010 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

In a time where money and success triumphs all, there is one word that is very rare in footballing terms: loyalty. Players regularly move from club to club, even the game’s greats (Maradona, Pele, Cruyff, Beckenbauer etc.) moved to various different teams in their illustrious careers. That’s why it’s so refreshing to see players who have stayed with the same club for their whole career, an honour that only a small group of players can claim. Here are an ultimate XI of players from the last decade, who have played for the same club for at least ten years (which rules out the likes of Barcelona’s Lionel Messi and Andres Iniesta) and carved themselves out a place in their respective team’s history.
    iker_casillas-100x100.jpgGK – Iker Casillas
    Real Madrid (1999-present)
    A product of Real’s youth system, Casillas made his debut in Madrid’s first team in the 1997-98 season and became the youngest ever keeper to play in a Champions League final in 2000, four days after he had turned 19. Still just 28, Casillas is one of the top keepers in the world, has won 101 international caps and has surpassed Andoni Zubizarreta’s record of 56 clean sheets for his country. Casillas has won La Liga four times, the Champions League twice with Madrid and a European championship in 2008 with Spain.
    RB – Gary Neville
    54af1_gary_neville82-100x100.jpgManchester United (1992-present)
    Admired by United fans but despised virtually everywhere else, Neville made his first team debut in 1994 and quickly became the first choice right-back for United and England. Admired for his leadership abilities and no-nonsense attitude, Neville has won eight Premier League titles, three FA Cups, one League Cup and two European cups at Old Trafford and is the most capped right back in England history. Injuries have dogged his career in recent years, with Neville missing the whole 2007-08 season.
    tony-adams_1119903c-100x100.jpgCB – Tony Adams
    Arsenal (1983-2002)
    Regarded as one of Arsenal’s greatest players ever, Adams was one quarter of Arsenal’s feared backline that included Lee Dixon, Nigel Winterburn and Steve Bould/Martin Keown. Battling an alcohol addiction over the course of his Arsenal career, Adams won a host of honours, including four League titles, three FA Cup’s and a UEFA Cup Winners Cup whilst at Highbury.
    terrydm2504_468x672-100x100.jpgCB – John Terry
    Chelsea (1998-present)
    He may not be the most popular person in England right now, especially with Fabio Capello, but Terry is “Mr Chelsea”. Installed as captain by Jose Mourinho after former skipper Marcel Desailly left the club, Terry’s never say die attitude and excellent leadership skills have led Chelsea to three Premier League titles, two FA Cups and two League cups.
    maldini-392-100x100.jpgLB – Paolo Maldini
    AC Milan (1984-2009)
    An inspirational leader, Maldini epitomised everything Milan stood for, spending two and a half decades at the club. Making 647 appearances for Milan, Maldini smashed every Serie A appearance record going and was still playing at the very top level aged 40. Maldini played in 126 games for Italy and won seven Serie A titles, five Champions League titles and a World Cup, amongst others. Milan retired Maldini’s #3 shirt, which will only be restored if one of his son’s makes the senior side.
    ryangiggs-100x100.jpgLM – Ryan Giggs
    Manchester United (1992-present)
    The most decorated player in Premier League history, Giggs has won 11 Premier League titles, 2 Champions League and a host of FA and League Cups, and is the only player to have played and scored in every season since the inception of the Premiership. Giggs has surpassed Bobby Charlton to become the all-time leader in appearances for United and despite losing the blistering pace that defined the winger in his prime, Giggs has been used in a playmaker role in recent years, even winning the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award in 2009.
    paul_scholes_585_615259a-100x100.jpgCM – Paul Scholes
    Manchester United (1994-present)
    Scholes has been a great servant for United in his time at the club and possesses excellent passing skills, great technique and the ability to score goals in and out of the box, as well the ability to make wild, over-the-top tackles. Like Giggs and Neville, Scholes has helped United win numerous titles in his time at Old Trafford.
    xavi_85906t-100x100.jpgCM – Xavi Hernandez
    Barcelona (1998-present)
    At a club where so many players and coaches come and go every season, Xavi has remained the one constant for Barcelona in the last decade. Considered as one of the best playmakers in world football, Xavi has been an integral part to Barcelona’s recent success: starring in the club’s treble-winning season last year and earning man of the match honours in last year’s Champions League victory over Man United.
    steven_gerrard_fight_back-100x100.jpgRM – Steven Gerrard
    Liverpool (1998-present)
    Like Terry at Chelsea, Gerrard has epitomised Liverpool in the last decade. Since replacing Sami Hyypia as Liverpool captain in 2003, Gerrard has led to Liverpool to Champions League glory in 2005, as well as winning two FA Cups, two League Cups and a UEFA Cup in his time at Anfield.
    Raul-100x100.jpg ST – Raul
    Real Madrid (1994-present)
    The Spanish striker has shattered every record going for Real Madrid in a time where everyone apart from Casillas and Guti have gone through the revolving doors at the Bernabau. Raul is the all-time leader in Champions League goals (66), appearances (128), leads Madrid in all-time goals scored (321) and appearances (726) and has scored the most goals for Spain (44). The striker has also pocketed a host of trophies, including six La Liga titles and three Champions League wins. With all that he has accomplished, it is hard to believe that Raul is only 32.
    totti-100x100.jpg ST – Francesco Totti
    Roma (1992-present)
    Roma’s number one goal scorer and all-time leader in appearances with 241 goals in 560 games, Totti is considered one of the greatest players of his generation, despite having mixed success in Europe with Roma and on the grand stage with Italy. Totti has only won a single Scudetto with Roma in 2001, as well as two Coppa Italia’s, and was part of Italy’s 2006 World Cup winning side.
    Subs: Jamie Carragher (Liverpool 1996-present), Alessandro Costacurta (AC Milan 1987-2007), Carles Puyol (Barcelona 1999-present), Guti (Real Madrid 1995-present), Matt Le Tissier (Southampton 1986-2002

A good team though I would argue Maldini spent his best years at CB and not LB.

Well off you'se go to discuss, bitch and nitpick.

FFC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Le Tiss FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Inzaghi, Buffon, That french forward who always looks like hes crying when he scores eh Tresuget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Inzaghi, Buffon, That french forward who always looks like hes crying when he scores eh Tresuget

neither of the first two are 'one club' players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

:confused:

All ineligible.

Read title again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

damn Pelé and his New York adventure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

All of them have played for at least 2 clubs

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

neither of the first two are 'one club' players.

None of them are. I don't think the thread premise was understood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Franco Baresi instead of Terry imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Knew Le Tiss would be the first name brought up.

John O' Shea should obviously be right back, he has to be on every team this board selects, its in the forum charter.

redout wrote: »
    :confused:

All ineligible.

Read title again.

I've embarrassed myself. I'm sorry.

• Advertisement

aaronh007 wrote: »

Or Adams really. Obvious one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

JPA wrote: »
    None of them are. I don't think the thread premise was understood.

Gerrard has only played for one club.

Forgot the great Soviet Lev Yahsin

Dynamo Moscow from 1949-1971

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lev_Yashin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭28064212

First thing I thought of was what a great central defence they'd have, with Maldini and Baresi. Instead I find Terry and Adams, WTF? Baresi didn't even make the bench, ridiculous.

At least, that's what I was going to post, til I read the OP again: "Here are an ultimate XI of players from the last decade, who have played for the same club for at least ten years"

So fair enough

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Oh right, last decade. I skimmed, I admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

3 Premier League titles for Chelsea me hole.

28064212 wrote: »
    First thing I thought of was what a great central defence they'd have, with Maldini and Baresi. Instead I find Terry and Adams, WTF? Baresi didn't even make the bench, ridiculous.

At least, that's what I was going to post, til I read the OP again: "Here are an ultimate XI of players from the last decade, who have played for the same club for at least ten years"

So fair enough

Didn't see the last decade part. That or either selective vision.

I retract my two picks

reluctantly:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Ugh.

Gary Neville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Thats a **** team Scholes and Xavi cant play together, would get hammered :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Just saw the last decade thing - makes it a bit silly I think. Doesn't cast the net very wide to get one-club players in the last decade who've played for over ten years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Thats a **** team Scholes and Xavi cant play together, would get hammered :p

The other team would need to actually get the ball to hammer them.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Del Piero should be in there too; been with Juve since '93 or something and was easily one of the best players in the world in his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Gary Kelly

DazMarz wrote: »
    Del Piero should be in there too; been with Juve since '93 or something and was easily one of the best players in the world in his prime.
    He didn't always play for Juventus though, which is the point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Subs: Jamie Carragher (Liverpool 1996-present)

Que?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I've embarrassed myself. I'm sorry.

You embarrassed yourslef twice because you did'nt give Carra a mention :)

EDIT. Or maybe I did'nt see the subs :-)

He didn't always play for Juventus though, which is the point

Who else did he play for? I thought he was always with Juve? Seems to have been anyway!

Who else did he play for? I thought he was always with Juve? Seems to have been anyway!
    According to wiki - Padova and San Vendemiano

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Del_Piero

• Advertisement

According to wiki - Padova and San Vendemiano

Sorry, you're right... He played for Padova from '91-'93... Damn...

Players should probably have to be retired for this to be fair. There's still a chance the likes of Terry or Gerrard could play for another club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

To be pedantic, John Terry played for Nottingham Forest on loan so he isnt a one club player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

John O Shea, if loans don't count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Stekelly wrote: »
    Players should probably have to be retired for this to be fair. There's still a chance the likes of Terry or Gerrard could play for another club.

but this way theres more english players in it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Iniesta?

edit just read it properly.

How long is Iniesta with Barca then?

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Iniesta?

He played for Albacete from 1994-1996

Been with Barça ever since

You know I actually feel a whole lot better now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Then why is Totti there?

He played for Lodigiani before Roma whoever they are.

Johner wrote: »
    Then why is Totti there?

He played for Lodigiani before Roma whoever they are.
    I don't think they're counting youth career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

He played for Albacete from 1994-1996

Been with Barça ever since

FFS he was 10!

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    That's what the 10-year minimum is for. While they could, they haven't yet, and have most of the attributes of one-club-men
    Dempsey wrote: »
    To be pedantic, John Terry played for Nottingham Forest on loan so he isnt a one club player
    To be fair to the author, there are very few players you could replace him with. This is a pretty comprehensive list, and there's not too many big names in there that would qualify under the criteria. Of those who have retired, Lars Ricken, Manuel Sanchís and Gary Kelly :) are the only ones to jump out at me

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

FFS he was 10!

It's not my list. But I'm agreeing with you. He should definitely be in that team

It's not my list. But I'm agreeing with you. He should definitely be in that team
    The reason he isn't is because he hasn't played 10 seasons at senior level

FFS he was 10!
    LOL :)

Iniesta's debut first-team appearance for Barcelona didn't come til 2002, so I would imagine that is what they are using as criteria

EDIT: Or what ScienceNerd said

I'd replace Terry with Jack Charlton just cause I don't like Terry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Danielle De Rossi should be an absolute lock for at least the bench. The team lacks an enforcer anyway and he's better than Guti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Here are an ultimate XI of players from the last decade, who have played for the same club for at least ten years (which rules out the likes of Barcelona’s Lionel Messi and Andres Iniesta) and carved themselves out a place in their respective team’s history.

Put in Roberto Carlos (11 years at Madrid) and move Maldini to CB. :pac:

*Gives up correcting people suggestions*

Dempsey wrote: »
    Put in Roberto Carlos (11 years at Madrid) and move Maldini to CB. :pac:

Its a one club man not a 7 club man

Here is a list of all one-club players according to wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_club_man

• Advertisement