Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Greatest 'One Club Players' XI

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Here is a list of all one-club players according to wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_club_man

lol ledley king :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

dreamers75 wrote: »
    lol ledley king :D

If he wasn't injury prone he could be englands captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    I'd replace Terry with Jack Charlton just cause I don't like Terry.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Its a one club man not a 7 club man

Joke, it was JOKE :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The criteria being used in this thread is completly illogical. Not gonna explain myself either (cant be arsed), ........just to add that you cant have a 'greatest ever one club player' list without mentioning billy wright of wolves.

Started as groundsman aged 9 or 10 (cant remember)
    >500+ games
    >england captain
    retires
    >becomes director at wolves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Phil Babb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Wes Brown :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

daithijjj wrote: »
    The criteria being used in this thread is completly illogical. Not gonna explain myself either (cant be arsed), ........just to add that you cant have a 'greatest ever one club player' list without mentioning billy wright of wolves.

>500+ games
    >england captain
    retires

Then I shall add the great Bob Paisley. Joined in 1939 and played til 1954

Manager from 1974-1983 and was part of the backroom staff in between player/manager careers

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I skimmed over Raul in the opening post and read through the rest of the thread, I thought you were all idiots for a moment.

• Advertisement

Then I shall add the great Bob Paisley. Joined in 1939 and played til 1954

Manager from 1974-1983 and was part of the backroom staff in between player/manager careers

Bob paisley wasnt a 'man', he was a 'phenomena'. So you cant include him, its unfair on any of the others :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Well Raul isn't going to be a one club man soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭28064212

>500+ games
    >england captain
    retires
    You forgot his period as Arsenal manager :)

j/k, but why is it completely illogical? If you don't restrict it to a period in time, John Charles and Santiago Bernabeu are as deserving as Billy Wright. The creator of the list chose to restrict it to players who have played in this century

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

pfft he doesnt ride burds behind his wifes back or fail drug tests or stamp on players faces or sell crisps :D, no chance of him ever being england captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

mayordenis wrote: »
    I skimmed over Raul in the opening post and read through the rest of the thread, I thought you were all idiots for a moment.

Not too far off there considering the to attention to detail :pac:

28064212 wrote: »
    You forgot his period as Arsenal manager :)

j/k, but why is it completely illogical? If you don't restrict it to a period in time, John Charles and Santiago Bernabeu are as deserving as Billy Wright. The creator of the list chose to restrict it to players who have played in this century

Well the crux of the argument i would make, if i had the inclination, would be that you cant have a list of 'one club players' that have not retired yet. Its like if i made a list of the best one club players since the day messi signed for barca, its ridiculous tbh.

And i know john charles is a legend at juve but he played for several teams.:)

• Advertisement

Not too far off there considering the to attention to detail :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Robbie Keane......oh wait.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Well the crux of the argument i would make, if i had the inclination, would be that you cant have a list of 'one club players' that have not retired yet. Its like if i made a list of the best one club players since the day messi signed for barca, its ridiculous tbh.
    Ah, ok, I thought you were arguing against the fact that it was restricted to players who have played in the last decade. The fact that they include players who haven't retired yet is probably more down to the fact that it would be a much, much smaller list. I think the 10 year minimum is sufficient in light of the other criteria
    And i know john charles is a legend at juve but he played for several teams.:)
    I was talking about this one :). Probably should have specified, actually forgot about his more famous namesake

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Johner wrote: »
    Iniesta?

edit just read it properly.

How long is Iniesta with Barca then?
    He played for Albacete from 1994-1996

Been with Barça ever since

Surely only senior clubs should matter???

EDIT: Played for the last 10 years at the club...has anybody read the OP properly??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Lets face it, its a stupid list :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Funnny thread. Just been one error after another. Like Pompey really.

Yea as hypothetical teams go it's quite ironic (I don't use that word lightly) as the team could never exist because they would not leave their repective teams, so this super team is destined for wankery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Carlos Puyol should be at CB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

If I wasn't injury prone **** I could be England captain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

nice team redout. might need to get the right manager in to stop stevie havin a fit about going right :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Terry's inclusion is an utter joke, especially sticking Maldini in at LB.

Even Carragher pisses all over him from a massive height.

Terry has played alongside some of the top defenders in the world - Gallas, Carvalho, Desailly etc. and benefited massively from this.

Carragher has played alongside Henchoz, Traore, Biscan.

There are times when I think Terry is absolutely blessed to be at Chelsea - sometimes I reckon in a more correct reality he would be a massive cult hero at someplace like West Bromich Albion.

Mockadious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

And Carragher played for a lot of the time beside Hyypia, one of the best teachers of the game (You watch when he retires and becomes a manager) a brilliant player and thought Carragher an awful lot. Henchoz was gone when Carragher moved into the Centre really and he very rarely played with Traore and if ever with Biscan. Its the same way you could say Terry played Centre back with the likes of Essien (Not a natural defender) Robert Huth and Micheal Mancienne.

Liverpool fan here btw just pointing out the 2 sides to the story as you only gave 1 really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Franco Baresi instead of Terry imo

+ 1

You could play 3 of the 4 AC back line from the 80's/90's.

Baresi would be immense with Adams IMO. Baresi FTW.

Here are an ultimate XI of players from the last decade, who have played for the same club for at least ten years

Woops, carry on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Terry has played alongside some of the top defenders in the world - Gallas, Carvalho, Desailly etc. and benefited massively from this.

There are times when I think Terry is absolutely blessed to be at Chelsea - sometimes I reckon in a more correct reality he would be a massive cult hero at someplace like West Bromich Albion.

Mockadious.

Oh come on! Gary Neville,Tony Adams and Paolo Maldini all played with some of the best defenders in the world as well, just because you don't like John Terry it doesn't make him ****. He is a world class defender whether you like it or not.

Fair enough if you don't think he should be there but Terry has been brilliant for Chelsea since he made his debut in 1998.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Mockadious.
    Half of all people are of less than average intelligence

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I know they don't fit into the original article's bizarrely arbitrary criteria, but Giuseppe Bergomi and Joao Pinto are good uns I haven't seen mentioned.

Apparently Berti Vogts was a handy RB too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

JPA wrote: »
    Le Tiss FTW!

Le Tiss would never get off his fat ass and move closer to this teams training ground :D

Is Roy Keane not in this team as he seems to get in every team on boards these days!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Didnt Gary Kelly play all his career with Leeds apart from brief stint at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Messi. Will never leave Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ah here, Anelka not even in the subs??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mockadious.

Are you trying to say that Henchoz was a poor defender?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Neil3030 wrote: »

Can only hope that's sarcasm...

Since when was he ever a one club player?

Played for 9 clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

TonyD79 wrote: »

Is Roy Keane not in this team as he seems to get in every team on boards these days!!

Sorry if you are joking, but Forrest?

Neil3030 wrote: »

Now you ARE joking.

Kess73 wrote: »

Yeah Henchoz was quite good.

Kess73 wrote: »

Im gonna give MM the benefit of the doubt and say i think he was drunk at the time of posting. Henchoz was an excellent player. Carra is loyal as a puppy dog but a talented footballer he is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This thread has revealed to me the amazing amount of people who seem to not read the opening post of the thread.

Advertisement