Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IDE Ribbon Cable information ...

• 11-02-2010 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I've customised an old PC for one of my kids but have a slight problem ...

The first IDE Ribbon cable goes to the 2 HDs at the bottom of the PC.

The second IDE Ribbon cable goes to a CD Drive & a DVD Drive at the top of the PC.

She obviously doesn't need the CD, so I have added a 3rd HD with the other HDs at the bottom of the PC, but the Ribbon cable isn't long enough to stretch back down to the new HD ... nor are any of the many spares I have in the loft, so my question is ...

Can I buy a small Male-to-Male IDE Ribbon extension lead or can I buy some kind of splitter, so I can use a completely different cable (if that makes sense ! I'm thinking this might confuse the controller as to which is master & which is slave !) ?

Any ideas ?!? Thanks in advance ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

vodkasoda wrote: »
    I've customised an old PC for one of my kids but have a slight problem ...

The first IDE Ribbon cable goes to the 2 HDs at the bottom of the PC.

The second IDE Ribbon cable goes to a CD Drive & a DVD Drive at the top of the PC.

She obviously doesn't need the CD, so I have added a 3rd HD with the other HDs at the bottom of the PC, but the Ribbon cable isn't long enough to stretch back down to the new HD ... nor are any of the many spares I have in the loft, so my question is ...

Can I buy a small Male-to-Male IDE Ribbon extension lead or can I buy some kind of splitter, so I can use a completely different cable (if that makes sense ! I'm thinking this might confuse the controller as to which is master & which is slave !) ?

Any ideas ?!? Thanks in advance ...

They do exist and generally don't cause any issues as it extends on from which ever end you extend bringing the hard disk priority with it provided the jumpers are set to CS - cable select, what may be worth a shot would be reversing the cable bringing the short end closer to the hard disc drive and giving some slack to reach the DVD again gotta make sure the jumpers are set to cable select or you may not see the devices on that IDE bus

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭vodkasoda

Viper_JB wrote: »
    They do exist and generally don't cause any issues as it extends on from which ever end you extend bringing the hard disk priority with it provided the jumpers are set to CS - cable select, what may be worth a shot would be reversing the cable bringing the short end closer to the hard disc drive and giving some slack to reach the DVD again gotta make sure the jumpers are set to cable select or you may not see the devices on that IDE bus

Hmmm, now there's an idea, I'll give it a try, thanks ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

You can buy brackets pretty cheaply to mount the 3rd HDD where you removed the cd from.

Very easy to do.

Advertisement