Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Want The CD!

Options
  • 11-02-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭

Well, with iTunes now verging on 10billion downloads:eek:, is it no wonder record shops are going by the wayside? Walk into hmv, its primarily dvds that are on sale, probably even more space for computer games too.

Does anyone feel saddened by any of this? Or do ye prefer to download albums to be imported onto whatever mp3 player you may have? Myself, I always prefer the hard copy. Theres something about reading the liner notes, the pictures(mature right there), popping the cd out of the case and hearing the whir of the disc as it first loads up, then the second stop before the inevitable first notes. Just not the same with a download, even though some stuff I have are downloads(paid for though).

http://www.apple.com/itunes/10-billion-song-countdown/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I kinda like the thrill of buying a CD, but really, it's something I can do without.

I seldom pay for music though*. Current record label structure needs to die.

(*I support bands in other ways, if they bother touring here, I'll happily spend as much as I can on merch, having already paid for the ticket to go to them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

48d892c6497e00d0034572393e24a50a.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I would never buy an album unless I'm already a big fan of the artists themselves. So I'd never buy a debut album for instance, and instead just download them and see if they'd deserve my money in the future. That may be harsh on new artists trying to break into the industry, but in this day and age when so much music is so freely available I don't want to risk wasting 10-15 quid on something I'll end up hating.

Off the top of my head, the only bands I'd actually go out and buy their CDs are Muse, The Killers, Mumford and Sons, Radiohead, REM, Sufjan Stevens, Fleet Foxes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs etc. All top-notch bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I use itunes a lot. Mainly for smaller independent bands who need the support in the early years. Having said that I don't particularly agree with the pricing structure available on itunes..

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Fad wrote: »
    I kinda like the thrill of buying a CD, but really, it's something I can do without.

I seldom pay for music though*. Current record label structure needs to die.

(*I support bands in other ways, if they bother touring here, I'll happily spend as much as I can on merch, having already paid for the ticket to go to them)

pirate_bay_stolen_music_sounds_better_mouse_pad_mousepad-p144933711471805662trak_400.jpg :rolleyes:

There was a similar thread to this a while back, but just to re-iterate, I always buy my music. I love getting the box and the art and such and building a big collection :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't know about them CDs and them there iTunes because I'm not a music head but I do know that I always prefer a physical copy of a game.

Mostly because digital distribution costs more despite offering less.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    pirate_bay_stolen_music_sounds_better_mouse_pad_mousepad-p144933711471805662trak_400.jpg :rolleyes:

There was a similar thread to this a while back, but just to re-iterate, I always buy my music. I love getting the box and the art and such and building a big collection :)

Nothing to do with sounding better......CDs are rapidly becoming obsolete, stereo in my bedroom has been unplugged for about 6 months now, I just dont play CDs, if I buy one, I rip it and then it gets stuck on a shelf.

I concede, some bands do have seriously good artwork (Converge have some brilliant stuff) and occasionally, I'll buy the CD.

There are a few bands I will always buy CDs of (MCR, BMTH, Metallica, stuff that I'm buying for completion of a collection more than anything else, I dont like the fact that MCR and Metallica are on major labels, I really dont like the idea of buying CDs off bands on major labels.....but gotta do what ya gotta do :()

It's nothing to do with not wanting to risk money checking out a new band, I used to buy random CDs all the time, and often if you buy a CD and it isnt THAT good, you end up liking it a lot more than if you downloaded it, because of the fact you actually made some sort of sacrifice to buy the CD (Worship and Tribute is an example of this, an incredible number of people consider it to be one of the greatest post-hardcore albums ever, I downloaded it, I didnt like it, and I love post hardcore, and I like other Glassjaw music......so sometimes I might be better off paying for it :confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I <3 CD's

There's nothing more satisfying than a large pile of great albums. I just had to restore my computer and lost about 30 GB of music, some stolen, some paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I love looking through CDs for ages trying to find the one you want, then putting it back down and buying a completely different one!

Also I think people dont appreciate music as much they use to, click of a mouse and the new album they want is on their computer.I remember reading Kerrang! or Q or some such and seeing an album that is coming out in the next few months, then having the agonizing wait for it to come out.
    Now you dont even have to wait for it to ''come out'' cause it'll be leaked anyway!...But people like Lily Allen arent helping matters by complaining about it and saying stuff like shes not making anymore albums because shes not making money out of it:rolleyes:,You dont see someone like Fleet Foxes giving up cause they're not making money.

Also I think people dont appreciate music as much they use to, click of a mouse and the new album they want is on their computer.I remember reading Kerrang! or Q or some such and seeing an album that is coming out in the next few months, then having the agonizing wait for it to come out.

I'm agonisingly waiting for an album at the moment for many months, comes out next Friday and no leak in site ;_;, wouldn't say the fact that I'll (probably) end up downloading it has any real effect on this.
    Except that was it not for blatant stealing I'd have no idea who this band are.

• Advertisement

Yeah Like I'm not saying its a totally bad thing, I would literally be listening to a quarter of what I do now if it wasnt for the internetz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I love buying CDs. Downloading music just doesn't appeal to me that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I've done a fair amount of downloading over the years but I often buy the CD even when I have it on download cos I like supporting the artist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Free is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

It's the best kind of cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I haven't bought a CD in over 2 years.
    Downloading/scabbing off friends is just so handy and heaps cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'd download stuff online for free, if it's a new band that I'm not really sure if I'll like the entire album, and don't know whether it'll be worth spending what little money I have on it.
    If I've liked an artist for ages and they bring out a new album.
    Or generally during the HMV sales when CD's are less than €5, I'll buy a load that I've downloaded.

Although that being said, a lot of the time when I buy CD's I just put them straight on my ipod, and never touch the CD again, especially now that I have a decent ipod dock, I don't have as much use for CD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

If you want the CD just get it! Don't start a thread about it.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

M&S* wrote: »
    If you want the CD just get it! Don't start a thread about it.

Yeah, I mean who wants to discuss things on a discussion forum?! MADNESS! IO, could you lock all the threads in the forum please?

PS: That would be the best mod power abuse of all time ever :P

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

To be honest, I download a lot, but it's really just stuff I wouldn't buy anyway. Any band that I really like, I'll buy their album, but new artists/music I'm only mildly into, that's either downloaded or not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I went through an illegal downloading phase there for a while (free broadband in college) but I've kinda stopped it. I attained such a backlog of albums to get through I wasn't fully appreciating each album.

I much prefer buying CDs anyway. Sometimes it does annoy me a bit though that if I were to add up the price of each album I have ever bought the total would be in excess of a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I buy a lot of CDs, but I download a good bit as well... I don't have any real pattern with either. Sometimes I buy a CD on a whim because it looks kinda cool, or I've heard it's good.
    Then I download bands like that when I've no money. Then if I really like the album, I buy it.

I really like having the CDs, and having the art work and everything, and then just having the actual CD too.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean who wants to discuss things on a discussion forum?! MADNESS! IO, could you lock all the threads in the forum please?

PS: That would be the best mod power abuse of all time ever :P
    Ah I didn't mean it in a angry way, but seriously he should get the CD!

Did you read the OP's post at all?

Its a metaphorical CD ffs!

Its a metaphorical CD ffs!

kafxjt.jpg

OP is a big fan I assume?

Thats a horrible piece of art!:eek:

Fad wrote: »
    Did you read the OP's post at all?
    Yes but I forget what it was now! :( Sorry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I pirate debut albums and if i think it's good i go out and buy it.

If an album is impossible to find, I pirate it until I can find it and buy it.

And sometimes if an album is cheap I buy it for the lulz. i also randomly pirate and if I don't like the album I won't buy it, if I do I will.

So yes, I prefer to buy a physical copy of the album. I get so much enjoyment (I don't know why) of buying and holding the CD. Also, I like adding to my collection. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Jako8 wrote: »
    I pirate debut albums and if i think it's good i go out and buy it.

If an album is impossible to find, I pirate it until I can find it and buy it.

And sometimes if an album is cheap I buy it for the lulz. i also randomly pirate and if I don't like the album I won't buy it, if I do I will.

So yes, I prefer to buy a physical copy of the album. I get so much enjoyment (I don't know why) of buying and holding the CD. Also, I like adding to my collection. :)

It's posts like this that make me sure that we're the same person...

Advertisement