Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exceptional Circumstances

Options
  • 12-02-2010 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi

Could someone please tell me if there are exceptional circumstances for those who are doing their Junior Cert? eg death of a parent due to tragic circumstances?

Many Thanks

D
    x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

brendasi wrote: »
    Hi

Could someone please tell me if there are exceptional circumstances for those who are doing their Junior Cert? eg death of a parent due to tragic circumstances?

Many Thanks

D
    x

As far as I know, no. No exceptions, no nothing. Well thats for the Leaving for sure in anyways, I assume its the same for the JC. Did you try the Junior Cert forum?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes there are and it's the same in the case of the Leaving.

In the case where a candidate sits a scheduled exam following a sudden bereavement, a note will be put on the front of the paper stating something like 'candidate's parent died the morning of this exam'.

They don't get any extra marks, but in cases where an examiner could give the benefit of the doubt as to a candidate's answer, the benefit will be given.

In the case where a candidate has a funeral of a parent or close relative on the day of their exam, the centre can be opened early to allow the bereaved person to start their exam at (say) 8.00am or earlier so that they can attend the funeral. The usual rules will apply about not letting the candidate meet the other candidates so that nothing can be passed on about the exam.

There is an entire section in the SEC which deals with emergency arrangements, be they for candidates going into labour, hospital, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

spurious wrote: »
    Yes there are and it's the same in the case of the Leaving.

In the case where a candidate sits a scheduled exam following a sudden bereavement, a note will be put on the front of the paper stating something like 'candidate's parent died the morning of this exam'.

They don't get any extra marks, but in cases where an examiner could give the benefit of the doubt as to a candidate's answer, the benefit will be given.

In the case where a candidate has a funeral of a parent or close relative on the day of their exam, the centre can be opened early to allow the bereaved person to start their exam at (say) 8.00am or earlier so that they can attend the funeral. The usual rules will apply about not letting the candidate meet the other candidates so that nothing can be passed on about the exam.

There is an entire section in the SEC which deals with emergency arrangements, be they for candidates going into labour, hospital, whatever.

Sorry OP, my bad:o. Wasn't aware. Just going by what our teachers told us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There was a girl in the school I'm teaching in whose mother was in hospital dying during her junior cert exams. A centre was set up in the hospital so she could sit her exams (and then go back to the ward after each one - must have been awful). Her mother died 3 or 4 days into the exams, so she missed one or two, but she was able to transfer back to her normal centre in the school here for the remainder, and she was determined to sit them because it's what her mother would have wanted.

There are also emergency centres set up in schools for students who might say break an arm during the exams and need a scribe or there was one lad last year who got chicken pox during the exams so a centre was set up for him so he could finish them in isolation :)

The student won't be given any extra marks or be marked easier but they will be accommodated as far as is possible to allow them sit the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 brendasi

Sorry, haven't used this before and unsure how to post/reply.

I just wanted to thank those who were kind enough to reply.

Kind Regards

D

=========

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

A friend of Mine got cancer during 3rd year,and was excemt from the tests,Luckily he's all better now:D and currently enjoying 4th year :)

Advertisement