Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tear Stains - Bichon/Poodle

Options
  • 12-02-2010 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi

I have a wonderful Bichon/Poodle who has very brown stains in his eyes.

I refuse to use Angle Eyes (which is apparently an anti-biotic) and have tried everything including baby wipes, cleansers, kitchen roll, milk of magnesia daily.

I wonder if anyone could recommend a method which works?

Many Thanks

D
    x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

We got stuff in the pet shop called "Diamond Eyes" you put it under their eyes with some cotton wool makes the stains go hard and fall off, used it regularly at the start now barely at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 brendasi

My VET has warned me about this DIAMOND EYES. It is a long term anti-biotic which is not good for any long term dog lover.

D
    x
    We got stuff in the pet shop called "Diamond Eyes" you put it under their eyes with some cotton wool makes the stains go hard and fall off, used it regularly at the start now barely at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 greensleep

apple cider vinegar. One teaspoon a day in their food. Start off with just a small drop and gradually build up to teaspoon. It takes a while to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

greensleep wrote: »
    apple cider vinegar. One teaspoon a day in their food. Start off with just a small drop and gradually build up to teaspoon. It takes a while to work.

Really for tears?
    Apple cider vinegar is laxative no?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Have you tried contacting your vet or vet nurse to seek their advice? As well as telling you which methods are the best, they'll also be able to tell you which treatments have antibiotics so you'll know which ones to avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

I would recommend Eye Envy. Works great but has no antibiotics, bleaches, or nasty stuff in general :)http://www.mollys.ie/eye-envyn-tear-stain-removal-system.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 greensleep

star-pants wrote: »
    Really for tears?
    Apple cider vinegar is laxative no?
    A vet said that the tear stains were caused by the acidity in the dogs system, hence the apple cider vinegar which will bring down the acidity but it does take a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

How old is your pooch op? Our pup had this for a good while not sure if it was the change in diet (he's on Burns now) or just age but he rarely has a problem with his eyes now just a bit of sleep now and then which is normal.

Before that I was using ear, eye and tush wipes got them in Maxi Zoo they were ok but found a damp piece of kitchen roll was just as good to wipe the eye neither worked well for the actual staining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 brendasi

brendasi wrote: »
    My VET has warned me about this DIAMOND EYES. It is a long term anti-biotic which is not good for any long term dog lover.

x

My apologies I meant Angel Eyes is the nasty, long term anti-biotic.

I have tried Diamond Eyes daily with no luck.

Thanks to the poster about Cider Vinegar, I shall try it.

Diane
    x

Advertisement