Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork this wknd

Options
  • 12-02-2010 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭

Staying at the Maldron this wknd. Just wondering is it walkable to the city centre, it says on the website it's a 5 min walk to Washington St but that's usually bullsh*t.

Also, is there anything good on this wknd along the lines of music gigs, comedy etc... or could you recommend any good pubs/clubs. I'm into alternative music if that helps?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

Staying at the Maldron this wknd. Just wondering is it walkable to the city centre, it says on the website it's a 5 min walk to Washington St but that's usually bullsh*t.

Also, is there anything good on this wknd along the lines of music gigs, comedy etc... or could you recommend any good pubs/clubs. I'm into alternative music if that helps?

Cheers.

don't know if there is anything good on during the weekend but the hotel is actually right in saying its only 5mins walk to st patrick street

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

johncm wrote: »
    don't know if there is anything good on during the weekend but the hotel is actually right in saying its only 5mins walk to st patrick street

Cheers, i just checked it on googlemaps and it's definately close so no need for taxis :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It IS bullsh1t by them to suggest the Maldron is five minutes' walk from Washington Street, but never fear: the pubs there are sh1te. :)

The best places for alt/indie are An Bróg and The Oval. There's also The Quad (next to The Oval) but that's a bit dead. Good music though. And Sin É is closer to the Maldron than any of the above, it's just a bit outside the centre of town though. Crane Lane is a late bar that plays good stuff like The Smiths, Pixies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

+1 on what Dudess said. Only discovered the Oval this week and it's a great spot.

If you're gonna be in tonight and like alternative music then check out Crane Lane. And So I Watch You From Afar are playing, should be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Dont agree that all the pubs are **** on Washington Street, thats just your opinion! Washingtons Street area has the most bars and a lot more popular than Oliver Plunkett Street!

It all depends what the OP wants!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Dont agree that all the pubs are **** on Washington Street, thats just your opinion! Washingtons Street area has the most bars and a lot more popular than Oliver Plunkett Street!

Or how old they are.

I recommend going into the Old Oak for the Ireland rugby match on Sat evening - town should be good craic after that. 6Nation match days in Cork are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Dudess wrote: »
    It IS bullsh1t by them to suggest the Maldron is five minutes' walk from Washington Street, but never fear: the pubs there are sh1te. :)

The best places for alt/indie are An Bróg and The Oval. There's also The Quad (next to The Oval) but that's a bit dead. Good music though. And Sin É is closer to the Maldron than any of the above, it's just a bit outside the centre of town though. Crane Lane is a late bar that plays good stuff like The Smiths, Pixies etc.

Here here! A lot of the pubs on Washington street are the most popular in the County so that statement was a bit rash. Its all about personal choice.

I for one love the Brog, the oval and all the other 'alternative ' bars but at the same time I love all the pubs on Washington street. Depends what mood im in! :)

murphym7 wrote: »

I recommend going into the Old Oak for the Ireland rugby match on Sat evening - town should be good craic after that. 6Nation match days in Cork are pretty good.

Oh no, town will be full of rugger buggers and bandwagon fans, don't know which is worse. Still it is an international so not too bad, not like the Munster "fans" (Heineken cup only muppets many of them)

Here here! A lot of the pubs on Washington street are the most popular in the County so that statement was a bit rash. Its all about personal choice.
    Exactly. Judging by what the OP says they're looking for, their opinion would be that the pubs on Washington Street are sh1t - whether the pubs there are more popular than the ones on Oliver Plunkett Street or not (don't see how that's relevant).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

:)

Have to agree with Smiley surfer here! The OP did suggest an alternative bar would be the best option but it is all about personal choice.

Dudess made some great points though, and though maybe rash, from the opinion of a fellow Brog lover, I'd also be inclined to say that I think the pubs on wash street are a bit crap. Bar the wash, preachers and costigans.

OP Go on a pub crawl and find out for yourself! There's a different atmosphere in every pub! Washington Street for the Rugby atmosphere or Oliver Plunkett for the alt. music!

• Advertisement

So if one was not into alternative music you could say that the Brogue, Crane Lane etc are shiite :rolleyes: Strange logic for a mod to have, infract / ban etc as you please :)

I don't think that's what Dudess meant though Roverjames. I'd be inclined to think along the same lines as her.

I think it's a stereotype. For example, the OP expressed an interest in alt music. Straight away I thought right the OP would like the Brog, Oval, Quad etc and would not like Reardans, Havana Browns, Mulligans etc.

I also would be hugely won over by a pub if they played music I was into. Calling the music crap was an opinion.

Ha ha ha I bet the OP doesn't want to come to Cork now..... :o

Most defo a stereptype :)
    Washington Street, but never fear: the pubs there are sh1te

Think she is being fairly clear there though to be honest, as you say, a bit rash though.

RoverJames wrote: »
    So if one was not into alternative music you could say that the Brogue, Crane Lane etc are shiite :rolleyes:
    You could say whatever your opinion is, once you don't insist your opinion is fact. I never once said my opinion is fact, I said the pubs in the Washington Street area are sh1t because it's a safe bet the OP would agree with me.
    Strange logic for a mod to have, infract / ban etc as you please :)
    Oh that one again - with added passive-aggressive smiley.

- I don't mod the Cork City forum - I am a regular poster here
    - How on earth modding could be brought into this is beyond me
    - I don't see any evidence whatsoever that my opinions influence my moderating

Gosh guys we're def going off topic and giving the OP a terrible impression!! :D

I would be inclined to agree with Dudess on this one. If you're a fan of rock music/ metal and want away from the rugger buggers, do take her advice and hit the Brog, the Oval, the Quad, Ziggy etc.

If you want to watch the match I suggest Soho or Costigans!

If you want to be in the middle of rugger bugger mayhem go to Reardens or a few others on Wash. Street. You can even go from there straight into the club upstairs if that's what you fancy.

Hope you've a good weekend OP. :)

- How on earth modding could be brought into this is beyond me
    - I don't see any evidence whatsoever that my opinions influence my moderating

I would expect a mod not to go posting abrupt, provocative comments such as all the pubs in Washington Street are ****e, most people who go out in Cork City would frequent them. I wouldn't wander into the indie forum and suggest that folk into alternative music are beanie wearing smells who don't wash from one end of the month to the other.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I would expect a mod not to go posting abrupt, provocative comments such as all the pubs in Washington Street are ****e
    Expect or don't expect whatever you want - bottom line is, I'm not a mod of Cork City. And I love how, in the last post, you effectively accused me of moderating based on my opinions, without any evidence, you just... threw it in there! :D
    most people who go out in Cork City would frequent them. I wouldn't wander into the indie forum and suggest that folk into alternative music are beanie wearing smells who don't wash from one end of the month to the other.
    Well you're hardly comparing like with like are you? I didn't say anything about the people who go to the pubs on Washington Street (among them me if I get dragged there by friends who are into them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

"And So I Watch You From Afar" are playing tonight in Crane Lane for free. If you're into alternative music, this is your man.
    Monster monster.

Brog, the Oval, the Quad, Ziggy etc: are all these pubs on Oliver Plunkett St?

A friend recommended I go to Soho for the match tomorrow, he said it's one of those super-pubs but it was a good place to watch games. I also heard Matt Cooper mention it on the radio and he should know, being a Corkonian and a man of impeccable taste. The gf is heading away shopping during the match :)

I'm not a fan of ASIWYFA, bit too much noise and not enough tuneage for my liking, might go along to see Kyon/Cities in the Quad, only for the reason that they are from my native county.

By the way, what do ye think of a visit to Cork Gaol? is it any good? might go there before the rugby tomorrow.

Anyways thanks for all the replies and helpful info.

Brog, the Oval, the Quad, Ziggy etc: are all these pubs on Oliver Plunkett St?

A friend recommended I go to Soho for the match tomorrow, he said it's one of those super-pubs but it was a good place to watch games. I also heard Matt Cooper mention it on the radio and he should know, being a Corkonian and a man of impeccable taste. The gf is heading away shopping during the match :)

I'm not a fan of ASIWYFA, bit too much noise and not enough tuneage for my liking, might go along to see Kyon/Cities in the Quad, only for the reason that they are from my native county.

By the way, what do ye think of a visit to Cork Gaol? is it any good? might go there before the rugby tomorrow.

Anyways thanks for all the replies and helpful info.

You could start in Soho which is on the Grand Parade for the match. I'll be watching it there too after work. Not too loud, nice enough crowd and a good atmosphere with a good decent pint to boot! :)

Cross the road and at the start of Oliver Plunkett you'll see the Brog. €3 pints until 9 every day. Nice place to start drinking, great music, atmosphere and a nice crowd. Only con is it smells a bit, lol, but it's my fave bar.

Come out of the Brog and head to Grand Parade again, cross the road and go down the side street directly in front of you (to the right of Hillbillies - savage after drink food ftw) and you'll see the Quad. A bit quieter but good music and a decent pint. They'll also show the match.

The Oval and Ziggys are pretty much at the end of that street. Ziggys isn't so popular as sometimes attracts dodgy clientelle but rocking music and great fun staff!

I'd say hit them all to get a good taste of the alt. bars in Cork.

The Gaol is a bit boring. Then again I've been so many times. You can pay for a bus tour around Cork which is cheap, interesting and only about 45 minutes and it lets you off at the Gaol. You get a head set or can wait for the guided tour. Interesting stuff but its a a bit expensive for the time you spend in there(which isn't a long time). :)

• Advertisement

Ooh also watch out for the picture in SoHo if you go there!! It's awesome, I'm still blown away by it. It's meant to appear to be an old painting type thing but you see it moving out of the corner of your eye. When you look at it again you think you're going mad but then it really does move again!

Ha ha got a bit excited there. :D

The Crane Lane is another really nice bar btw. If you get time try and check it out in the evening. Nice smoking area, nice bar, great venue for free gigs. The place'll be buzzing too so might be a nice place to end up!

NoDice wrote: »
    Ooh also watch out for the picture in SoHo if you go there!! It's awesome, I'm still blown away by it. It's meant to appear to be an old painting type thing but you see it moving out of the corner of your eye. When you look at it again you think you're going mad but then it really does move again!

Ha ha got a bit excited there. :D

The Crane Lane is another really nice bar btw. If you get time try and check it out in the evening. Nice smoking area, nice bar, great venue for free gigs. The place'll be buzzing too so might be a nice place to end up!

I remember I was actually in Soho before, there was a pour your own pint thing going on...must look out for that painting.

Crane Lane..where might that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

what time do ye think the gig will start in the crane lane, never heard and so i watch you from afar before but listed to there myspace and youtubed them and really like them so Il probly head in

I remember I was actually in Soho before, there was a pour your own pint thing going on...must look out for that painting.

Yup that's SoHo. :)

Crane Lane I'm a bit crap at directing to. I would be inclined to say it's at the end of Oliver Plunkett if you're walking from the Brog and it's on your right down one of the side streets once you pass the post office...

I usually just find it and wonder how I got there.. :o

Anyone else care to help with drections?? :)

what time do ye think the gig will start in the crane lane, never heard and so i watch you from afar before but listed to there myspace and youtubed them and really like them so Il probly head in

Found a link for both of you. Directions on googlemaps for you pappyodaniel and a start time for that gig for you hudsonriver.

http://entertainment.ie/venue_information/Crane-Lane-Theatre/35301.htm

NoDice wrote: »
    Found a link for both of you. Directions on googlemaps for you pappyodaniel and a start time for that gig for you hudsonriver.

http://entertainment.ie/venue_information/Crane-Lane-Theatre/35301.htm

Thanks, would have completely missed it if it wasnt for you, very early for a gig but its because theres another thing on afterwards

No bothers, I genuinely just follow the crowd to get there. :) I also haven't went for a gig there. The last time I was there, there was a pretty good gig on but we just stayed out in the smoking area the whole night chatting! :)

Really hope you enjoy your night dude. Let us know how you get on.

this thread ftw

found two new deadly bands in the lane

and had some night after in the quad, might have caught a bit o c!%&*?ty

thanks again

Ha ha glad you'd a good night hudsonriver! What two bands were playing in the lane?

• Advertisement

And So I watch you from Afar

Hope is Noise

Advertisement