Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Recommendations for Blackrock, Dublin

• 12-02-2010 12:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

We are moving to a new place in Blackrock. Does anybody have recommendations on ISPs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Where abouts are you in blackrock exactly?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Blackrock would tend to be on the Priory Park exchange. Magnet has upgraded the Priory park exchange to ADSL2+ (up to 24Mb), no other provider has got uncontended ADSL2+ in that exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Thanks for the replies. Mount Merrion Avenue, Woodview (opposite Butler's Pantry).

Are Magnet any good? Let me rephrase this, are they better than Eircom?

qwertz wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Mount Merrion Avenue, Woodview (opposite Butler's Pantry).

I'll leave that for others to tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

UPC have just gone through blackrock in the last month laying cables. I was talking to the lads putting down the cables and to UPC customer support and they both said that they would be offering broadband in the area in about 2-3 months times. Might be worth keeping that in the back of your mind as they currently offer 30meg for €42 p/m and don't require a phone line and the resulting line rental fee so when that comes online in our area it would be probably be the most competitively priced option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming.

Just had a look at the Magnet T&Cs. Cancellation charge of €60 after the initial contract, is this a normal thing among the broadband providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Yawn10

qwertz wrote: »

Not really. I'm on the Priory Park exchange and am currently getting less than 2 megs download. The service is constantly all over the place (especially over the last few months) with no explanation ever given. Plus their customer service is a disaster - and you will end up spending a lot of time trying to deal with them.

I'm seeking out alternatives at the moment if anyone has any suggestions? I would even consider paying my way out of my Magnet contract at this point.

Yawn10 wrote: »
    Not really. I'm on the Priory Park exchange and am currently getting less than 2 megs download. The service is constantly all over the place (especially over the last few months) with no explanation ever given. Plus their customer service is a disaster - and you will end up spending a lot of time trying to deal with them.

I'm seeking out alternatives at the moment if anyone has any suggestions? I would even consider paying my way out of my Magnet contract at this point.

Bear in mind we have the fastest DSL service in that area. The line is probably slow due to distance issues. PM me and perhaps I can escalate your problem.

Advertisement