Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite Cult heroes in football

• 12-02-2010 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭

thought this would be a good thread to start up, if its been done many times before then feel free to delete the thread.

everyclub has had cult heroes down the years, types of players that turn up for a season and would automatically win the hearts of the fans players with brilliant personalitys and maybe fierce tempers that ye just love to watch. the likes of jimmy bullard who might not be the best player but who's just a funny nutter that everyone likes.

this is well before my time but robin friday would have to be up there for pure crazyness and brilliance he only lasted 4 years in professional football but still played enough to be recognised by both reading and cardiff as been there cult hero of all time.

anyone got anymore??????

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Mourinho. Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

eh Jimmy Bullard is a very good footballer imo

Anderson at Manchester United. Under achieved especially in his second and now third season.

Kevin Hunt, he was a class player and all the fans loved him. Great captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Goat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

major bill wrote: »
    thought this would be a good thread to start up, if its been done many times before then feel free to delete the thread.

everyclub has had cult heroes down the years, types of players that turn up for a season and would automatically win the hearts of the fans players with brilliant personalitys and maybe fierce tempers that ye just love to watch. the likes of jimmy bullard who might not be the best player but who's just a funny nutter that everyone likes.

this is well before my time but robin friday would have to be up there for pure crazyness and brilliance he only lasted 4 years in professional football but still played enough to be recognised by both reading and cardiff as been there cult hero of all time.

anyone got anymore??????

there is a brilliant book about him i read it a few years back.by all accounts he could/should have been a top player but never made it beyond playing in the old 2nd division.some great stories in the book, pure headcase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Dennis Erwin, :D brilliant personality and fierce temper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The Goat

Or Georgi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

yabadabado wrote: »
    there is a brilliant book about him i read it a few years back.by all accounts he could/should have been a top player but never made it beyond playing in the old 2nd division.some great stories in the book, pure headcase.

ive ordered his book looking forward to reading it, ive heard some stories about him sounds like a headcase:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Tony yeboah at leeds legend....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Diego Forlan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Kings: Law and Cantona

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Serginho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Stevie Finnan :cool:
    Peter Crouch
    Sami Hyypia
    Sean Dundee... what a man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

The man,the legend . . . . Gary Breen. And Glen Whelean is a hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Frank Sauzee at Hibernian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Keith O'Neill.

oneill-wife1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Tino asprilla is a cult hero at newcastle, even though he was there a short time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Brian Deane at Leeds. Probably because he gave me a wave while I was in the middle of the Chelsea end after they were giving him loads of grief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Tony Fagan.
    Danny Ventre.

Raf could have easily have been one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Surely Gazza is the ultimate cult hero. Even opposition fans loved him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

This guy:

Henrik1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Biggest irish cult hero must be terry phelan!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I'm sticking with you,
    Bruno Cheyrou,
    Bruno Cheyrou.

Him and EEEEEEEEEEEEEEGORE Biscan

There are occasions when I think GED did his best to usurp Souness's record in terms of buying ****ehouse players.

Very few people recognise just how bad GED left Liverpool.

Biggest irish cult hero must be terry phelan!!

Zooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmm

Shaft Fast muta****a.

Him and EEEEEEEEEEEEEEGORE Biscan

There are occasions when I think GED did his best to usurp Souness's record in terms of buying ****ehouse players.

Very few people recognise just how bad GED left Liverpool.

People don't realise how awesome Igor was when we won the Champions League. He was amazing all through that Champions League :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Tommy Hitzlsperger.
    Olof Melberg.
    JP Angel.
    Kevin Hunt.
    Fergal Harkin.
    Brian Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Who could forget, Nayim from the half way line! Nayim from the half way line!

kryogen wrote: »
    Who could forget, Nayim from the half way line! Nayim from the half way line!

No it wasnt it was

Nnnnaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy oooooooooohhhhhhhh what a goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Duncan Ferguson

duncanferguson.jpgarticle-1231132-000686C000000258-888_468x286.jpgferguson.jpg

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    People don't realise how awesome Igor was when we won the Champions League. He was amazing all through that Champions League :cool:

There are times when I actually sit back and doubt that Liverpool actually actually won the Champions League that year. You only need to look at the list of players who played for Liverpool that season and it's blatantly obvious just how awesome Rafa is. Looking at the squad and you can see there isn't a hope in hell that SAF, Mourinho, Wenger, Hiddink, Ancelloti, and anyone else you can care to mention could have won a Champions League with those player. Rafa is a golden God. Anyone who doubts him hasn't a clue imo.

There are times when I actually sit back and doubt that Liverpool actually actually won the Champions League that year. You only need to look at the list of players who played for Liverpool that season and it's blatantly obvious just how awesome Rafa is. Looking at the squad and you can see there isn't a hope in hell that SAF, Mourinho, Wenger, Hiddink, Ancelloti, and anyone else you can care to mention could have won a Champions League with those player. Rafa is a golden God. Anyone who doubts him hasn't a clue imo.

But then given the chance to bring in his own players he fails miserably. I have a clue and I don't like him although I never have even before he got the job so I am biased.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    But then given the chance to bring in his own players he fails miserably. I have a clue and I don't like him although I never have even before he got the job so I am biased.

Check out his actual spending and how he really does in the transfer market as opposed to how the media spin it and you might be massively surprised.

In my opinion the only manager who has a better strike record in the transfer market is Wenger and part of that is the fact that Arsenal's board have consistently backed Wenger whereas for a large part of his tenure Rafa has been battling against the board to get his signings in.

Check out just how utterly ****e the squad he inherited was.

Check out how much his actual net spend is and how much he jhas done to repair the damage done by previous managers.

Feck it Rafa is probably a cult hero for those who actually genuinely support Liverpool and understand just how bad things were when he took over.

I actually genuinely support Liverpool but their are 2 sides to it. How bad could the team be that won the Champions League. Its obviously hard to compare them as you have to factor in age and all that business (IE. Hyypia in 05 is better than Skrtel now, but you have to make the change as Hyypia is to old) I am just not a fan of Benitez its as simple as that, think he plays the innocent victim an awful lot.

Looking at the squad and you can see there isn't a hope in hell that SAF, Mourinho, Wenger, Hiddink, Ancelloti, and anyone else you can care to mention could have won a Champions League with those player.

Especially Mourinho, thankfully he had millions to spend at Porto. The same goes for Hiddink at PSV.

• Advertisement

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Especially Mourinho, thankfully he had millions to spend at Porto. The same goes for Hiddink at PSV.

Ahh now lads lay off Gus, look at the job he done with a limited south korea and Australia, not to mention Russia

Jordonvito wrote: »
    Ahh now lads lay off Gus, look at the job he done with a limited south korea and Australia, not to mention Russia

That was sarcasm. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

who are ye callin a cult?!!!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

Cult Hero!
    At home in Antrim the gable walls have been re-painted with the words
    HEALY IS GOD
    eng13.jpg
    Enough said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

_1022021_babb1_300.jpg

• Advertisement

Duncan Ferguson

duncanferguson.jpgarticle-1231132-000686C000000258-888_468x286.jpgferguson.jpg

Drunken Ferguson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Bruce Grobbelaar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

PeteEd wrote: »
    Drunken Ferguson

AKA The Tampon - in for a week, out for a month.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    AKA The Tampon - in for a week, out for a month.

and never a head better for a bit of blood

m@cc@ wrote: »
    That was sarcasm. ;)

it is very early in the morning, and was mostly meant meant at the lad you quoted, il stop digging now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

.....of the last decade.....
    Dan Murray & Danny Murphy & Neal Horgan & Mick Devine & Colin T. O'Brien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

SALIFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

In my opinion the only manager who has a better strike record in the transfer market is Wenger and part of that is the fact that Arsenal's board have consistently backed Wenger

They come out publicly and say that Wenger has money to spend but are they actually backing him? He always had a small amount to spend, never as much as Benitez did initially (I know that's changed in the last couple of years because of the Americans) and now, since the move to the Emirates, he's made a profit of about £28m!

Always loved Kanu:

nwankwo%20kanu%2011.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Rod De Khors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

• Advertisement
Advertisement