Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite Cult heroes in football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Robbie Fowler
    The man they called GOD

A true Liverpool cult hero that shook the Kop
    From scoring the fastest hatrick in Premier League history against Arsenal to moments like the one below that lightened up matches. Banging in goals against Man United then walking of the pitch with two fingers up on one hand and four up on the other hand to symbolise European Cup victories, Supporting the Liverpool dockers, rising Graham Le Saux, bleach blond hair, PFA young player of the year twice in a row, winning UEFA fair play award, 183 goals for Liverpool etc etc....
    fowler.jpg

Partial to the odd bit of skill aswell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

There are times when I actually sit back and doubt that Liverpool actually actually won the Champions League that year. You only need to look at the list of players who played for Liverpool that season and it's blatantly obvious just how awesome Rafa is. Looking at the squad and you can see there isn't a hope in hell that SAF, Mourinho, Wenger, Hiddink, Ancelloti, and anyone else you can care to mention could have won a Champions League with those player. Rafa is a golden God. Anyone who doubts him hasn't a clue imo.

Gerrard won the champions league for Liverpool not Benitez! :D

Have to agree with Robbie God Fowler, what a Legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

0,,1004~557751,00.jpg

The Chief himself

Shot while back in Africa, he rejected moves to Milan and Man U to stay with Leeds. A beer named after him and a band name inspired by him. Ambassador for Fifa and for the FA

A Giant among men in football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Gerrard won the champions league for Liverpool not Benitez! :D

actually no, if you want to point a particular player, it was Didi Hamman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sparky Hughes
    Tony Cousins
    Terry Plamer
    Choccy McClair
    Stevie Coppell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ricky Carvalho :pac:

A brillant footballing centre back that can go off on a run in to the oppositions half and add's something extra to the attack, excellent reader of the game and an overall brillant, brillant defender, and on top of that hes a dirty baxtard, pefectly suits the EPL.

Most have strong shoulders as he has carried Terry a lot in the last few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Des wrote: »

Ha definitely one of the more bizarre videos I've seen on the soccer forum. I've just finished a course to go and teach English overseas, I'm gonna have to try and get my own version of this done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Stuart 'Psycho' Pearce - a Forest legend and probably the most loved England player of all time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

event wrote: »

Nah it was Gerrard all the way! man of the match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

carlop wrote: »
    Ha definitely one of the more bizarre videos I've seen on the soccer forum. I've just finished a course to go and teach English overseas, I'm gonna have to try and get my own version of this done!

god please do, you can lead the gary breen revival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The-Rigger wrote: »
    _1022021_babb1_300.jpg

We have a winner.

Not really for his contributions to football, more to do with his recent poker exploits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

article-1198126-05A78E58000005DC-436_468x398.jpg

This man is, was and always will be my favourite to put on the royal blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

event wrote: »

Didnt hear Andy Gray screaming about him when Gerrard kept liverpool in the competition in the group stages or being the catylist for pegging back 3 second half goals in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The 2 Steves - Turner and Brinkman

From more recent times Gary Bull and Andy Clarke

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Legend != Cult hero, imo.

Perry Groves is a good un. More recently I'd say Pascal Cygan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Gary Twigg.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭goddevil

This Man
    PaoloDiCanio_468x521.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

p_vialli_1.jpg

This guy was my hero growing up. Absolute legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Johner wrote: »
    p_vialli_1.jpg

This guy was my hero growing up. Absolute legend.

Tripod? Makelele?

EDIT: Dunno why that image didn't appear initially but, to clear up any abiguity, all I could see was "Hosted by tripod".

zoladm2506_468x4482.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Legend != Cult hero, imo.
    Agree with this, for me the term cult hero would apply to a player loved in spite of his footballing talent (or usually lack of).

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

jasonorr wrote: »
    Tripod? Makelele?

EDIT: Dunno why that image didn't appear initially but, to clear up any abiguity, all I could see was "Hosted by tripod".

Ah I was trying to work out what was going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Voltwad wrote: »
    article-1198126-05A78E58000005DC-436_468x398.jpg

This man is, was and always will be my favourite to put on the royal blue.

More a cu*t hero to me, to be honest. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Surely Gary McAllister at Liverpool. He was only there for a few years and signed for free, but what he brought to that team cannot be measured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

He was arguably Chelsea's worst signing (in terms of total money spent vs. the return on the investment), but I loved him a lot, and I know a lot of other Chelsea fans who did as well. He never found his feet at Chelsea, and has returned to his original club, Dynamo Kiev.

Andriy Shevchenko...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Vinnie Jones at Wimbledon. Legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

One of the most talented players to ever grace the League of Ireland -

014031.jpg0001640310D.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Graham tomlinson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

If I were a Shels fan then Sheridan would be there, he was ridiculously talented. For me its Martin Lawlor though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Nelson Vivas. Didnt do an awful lot, lost us the league in 99 but still a hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Luis Garcia...was never a big fan myself and seems to be a typical liverpool player

Thats the problem with Liverpool of late; too many cult heroes not enough legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Luis Garcia...was never a big fan myself and seems to be a typical liverpool player

Thats the problem with Liverpool of late; too many cult heroes not enough legends.

Yup.

A couple more LFC players to add to the cult hero list:

Igor Biscan
    Titi Camara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    One of the most talented players to ever grace the League of Ireland -

014031.jpg0001640310D.jpg

Yeah, definitely. 5 minutes earlier the shels fans in the north stand were after going mental with the pats keeper because he was taking so long to take his kick out. So he gave us the fingers! Obviously everyone went mental, but it made shero's goal that bit better :D

His goal against sligo in the semis was quality too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Eric Meijer
    Igor Biscan
    Gary Mac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You cant have a thread about footballing cult hero's and not mention this man...

matthew_le_tissier_1156995071.png

He was a phenomenon for his club. He almost single handedly kept them in the Premiership year after year and he was one of the most naturally gifted players to ever play the game, whilst also opting to stay at an unfashionable club that he loved on wages that most championship level players would baulk at.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Zizou Kilbane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Paul Osam

Without doubt the 2nd greatest irish central midfielder ever to play ball. He had "the touch" and a nasty streak to ensure he got the ball to use "the touch".

Sad thing is hes as good as any player i have ever seen but had some issues(drink) which ensured he never played at a higher level. played most of his career with Pats except for one durty season.

PL fans may think im demented but seriously he was gifted, just falls into the people you know who had issues :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Gus Caesar = Arsenal

Ivan Campo = Everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Paul Osam

He was quality who should have been picked up across the water but thankfully wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liam Coyle

0001417610D.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Mark Rutherford

177129.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

i honestly couldnt be arsed reading through the thread. but i would nominate the following:
    cissé
    biscan
    hyypia
    camara
    dundee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Mark Rutherford

177129.jpg

He always looked better in red ;):p

2503613824_906d0867a5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He always looked better in red ;):p

2503613824_906d0867a5.jpg

I know yeah, but that was the only proper picture I could find of him playing for Shelbourne and it didn't really show his face.
    So I bit the bullet and put up the Rovers pic.

He was like the legend for Shels back in the day, remember seeing him sitting in the stand when I was about 8 or 9.
    Amazed now at how starstruck I was by him back then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

im off for Chinese new year now and wont be online for a week but before i go i have one thing to say... FORSHAME!

almost 100 posts into a thread entitled Favourite Cult Heroes in football and Paul McGrath is yet to be mentioned, tut tut.

zmcgrath.jpg

Villa fans call him god and still chant his name at every game and he just so happened to be (my opinion atleast) the best ever Irish defender, add his personality into the mix and you have a bonafide Cult hero.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Rob Jones
    rob_jone.jpg

Stig Inge Bjornebye
    79651780.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215AB089EE596C6588F0ADC32B56D143C83301A524017BC3AD2A04439DAB0BFE50

Jan Molby
    jan_molby.jpg

and of course, my favorite player from my youth for Liverpool... the one and only John Barnes (you've got to move yourself, you've got to take your time...)
    barnes_1009818c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Graham Kavanagh, Gilberto was never the same after Kavanagh saw to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

big dunc...:D

unrivalled amongst legends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Jazzy wrote: »
    Rob Jones
    rob_jone.jpg

Stig Inge Bjornebye
    79651780.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215AB089EE596C6588F0ADC32B56D143C83301A524017BC3AD2A04439DAB0BFE50

Jan Molby
    jan_molby.jpg

and of course, my favorite player from my youth for Liverpool... the one and only John Barnes (you've got to move yourself, you've got to take your time...)
    barnes_1009818c.jpg

that pic of barnes was a goodison derby, houghton crossed in a ball for a winner if my memory is right,it was sunny as fook on the park end (away end back then), so legit excuse..

• Advertisement
Advertisement