Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to add a filter for youtube videos?

Options
  • 12-02-2010 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, the issue is, people are constantly getting it wrong how to post youtube videos on a thread. Is it possible that we can filter the url just down to the code when posted between the youtube tags?

So this: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twuScTcDP_Q[/youtube]

Filters to this: [youtube]twuScTcDP_Q[/youtube]

It'd save a lot of frustration if it were possible to implement.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Not a bad idea but it is shocking how spoonfed some people need to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Xavi6 wrote: »

I'm getting pretty tired of threads being derailed into youtube tag how-to threads all the time. If it's possible for the admins to add such a filter, then it'd save so much hassle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

There is a feature where all you have to do is leave the link in your post and the video turns up isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Xavi6 wrote: »

I don't think it's that intuitive though at the moment, so I can understand why it happens a lot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

CHD wrote: »
    There is a feature where all you have to do is leave the link in your post and the video turns up isn't there?

Yep. There exists code that will parse the youtube link without the need of typing the manually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Ponster wrote: »
    Yep. There exists code that will parse the youtube link without the need of typing the manually.

Except we can't install that without breaking all the existing YouTube tags and we don't have enough spare time to go back and fix all the differently mangled variants that have been used over the years.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What about a Firefox plugin, like Hobbes (?) used to make.
    Although if someone was able to gout of his way to install and use that he could just as easily learn to tag properly.

Update the swear filter? :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A good idea, but with a major vBulletin upgrade in the pipeline I doubt they will be eager to add any more customization at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

koolkid wrote: »
    with a major vBulletin upgrade in the pipeline
    Em, news to me? :)

Getting a better YouTube tag is on the to-do list; it's largely a problem of the legacy tags at this point as Conor mentions. Not impossible, just not top of that list right now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Surly somewhere down the line an upgrade to vBulletin 4 is on the cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ross wrote: »
    it's largely a problem of the legacy tags at this point as Conor mentions.

If the code that processes the contents of the YOUTUBE tag could check if "v=" is in the code and strip out everything before it, then the current tags would still work. I don't know anything about how BBCodes are processed in vBulletin though.

eoin wrote: »
    If the code that processes the contents of the YOUTUBE tag could check if "v=" is in the code and strip out everything before it, then the current tags would still work. I don't know anything about how BBCodes are processed in vBulletin though.

The tags system works on a simple "find and replace" basis, so we can't insert any code into it I'm afraid.

Surly somewhere down the line an upgrade to vBulletin 4 is on the cards?
    Right now, it doesn't look like it brings enough to the table for us to invest the time to upgrade.

Thank Ross, I thought I seen a thread a while back about limiting modifications in planning ahead for this.
    Cant seem to find it. Obviousally I took it up wrong.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Conor wrote: »
    Except we can't install that without breaking all the existing YouTube tags and we don't have enough spare time to go back and fix all the differently mangled variants that have been used over the years.
    Ross wrote: »
    Getting a better YouTube tag is on the to-do list; it's largely a problem of the legacy tags at this point as Conor mentions. Not impossible, just not top of that list right now.

Was there more than one variant used since introducing YouTube tags? I thought we always had to paste everything after the v in order for them to work.

Don't suppose it's possible to get the YouTube tags working for more than one variant?

Thank Ross, I thought I seen a thread a while back about limiting modifications in planning ahead for this.
    Cant seem to find it. Obviousally I took it up wrong.:o
    I vaguely recall the thread you're talking about actually; I think this was probably before we actually got a chance to look at the vB4 codebase, or possibly while we were still under NDA (since we were part of the vB4 alpha release) - so I was likely being cagey about future development :)

There are a lot of changes we'd like to make, but we've gotten to the point where what would be fairly trivial hacks for a small vBulletin install have serious concerns for reliability, performance or simply affect the userbase in ways we can't fully appreciate without exhaustive research and testing.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Was there more than one variant used since introducing YouTube tags? I thought we always had to paste everything after the v in order for them to work.

Don't suppose it's possible to get the YouTube tags working for more than one variant?

We only ever had the one tag; Conor's talking about all the tags where people have pasted in the URL thinking that will work, or sticking in the embed code, etc :) (if it's worth doing something it's worth doing right!)

It's possible to have it work for more than one variant, but again, even figuring out the best way of going about it without confusing the hell out of everyone (the tens of thousands of people who post every month) needs to be thought out before we start coding.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

How about making an addition to the censor where

Gordon wrote: »
    How about making an addition to the censor where

Nope, the swear filter isn't a "Find X, replace with Y" function. It's a "Find X, replace with stars" function.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

overload it or sth :pac:

• Advertisement

overload it or sth :pac:

Of course I will. In my copious free time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

'I make serious grr replies to flippant posts grr'

Advertisement