Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cahill is at it again.

• 12-02-2010 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

For the last week we had to endure Dezzie positively slavering about the Irish Bobsleigh team and the 'crisis ' in the Winter olympics.

First item on the bulletin day after day!!! who gives a bollox!!!

Then we have him on the Trevor Brennan about bringing a group of 'de fellas' to

Paris and "hoping they all get there safely hmmmphh essssc hhhe"

What are they?? a group of children.

Then he breaks back into the MI schedule to bleat about some goon rowing across the Atlantic.

WTF!!! Will we have to listen to this rubbish for the next few days.

If Cahill wants to be a colour reporter, well go ahead, but i want NEWS in these Sports bulletins not plugs for every gimp who rings in with some off the wall venture.

RTE should rein that guy in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ldee

yeah oddly enough as a guy who's known for sport he doesn't really give an good insight or analysis.
    wouldn't class him as a sports journalist or anything. he's just an rte presenter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

What is with all the bizzare noises/sounds that emanate when he is on air?

Has he a constant sniffle? what is that damn noise?

Not professional, simply irritating.

Clean out your dog damned nose and throat passages prior to Airtime Des !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I always have this image of him grinning and dribbling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

He's as much a sports correspondent as Derek Mooney is a Naturalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Whenever he gets excited about something(usually about some lowlife idiot cycling to Azerbaijan or how a few idiots stuck in New York in the snow hired cars to drive to Florida to get to Croker for Sunday - he just loves that shyte)
    he sucks in the air thru the snout and sucks back on the spit.

Thank god in a way Ireland didn't qualify for SA as you'd be listening to Dessie interviewing 'Tony,Anto, Deco and Murrier' who sold their cars ,jacked in their jobs ,took a low cost flight to Windhoek and hitch hiked across the Kalahari to get to Irelands opening game."

I can do without that to be honest.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Its all that feckin' dye he sticks in his hair I reckon :D
    mike65 wrote: »
    I always have this image of him grinning and dribbling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

Never mind. George Lee will be takin over sports when he gets back as he's not allowed do political or economic stuff. George'll sort it out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Ah now in fairness the Winter Olympics could be considered a worthwhile piece, the rest sounds like nonsense alright. Cahill's delivery does give off this general air of cluelessness, punctuated by some rather dramatic nasal whines. Annoys me almost a much as Joanne Cantwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Whats that bit 'Off the Ball' do slagging off Cahill and Pat Kenny - happy sports news or fluffy sports news or something...its spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Sweet Christ Mr Bantam et al, he was giving it serious socks this morning with Pat Kenny and Brent 'Popey' Pope about his (Popey's) stylish jacket -how it was a pity he wasn't goin out to Paris with 'De Fellas' and how he'd definitely pull this Valentine's etc.etc. (Insert spit, snort, snot + hair dye as appropriate)
    The worst of it all is a quick glance at Radio One's very good JNLR numbers would suggest that the adult radio punters of Ireland really like this stuff.
    Ah well, no one ever lost a dollar underestimating the bad taste of the public 'n all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

the worst part was when the French journalist was saying how cold it would be and Des says 'sure I'm doing a GAA match in Donegal, hrmmmpphh, snort etc..'

Sweet Christ Mr Bantam et al, he was giving it serious socks this morning with Pat Kenny and Brent 'Popey' Pope about his (Popey's) stylish jacket -how it was a pity he wasn't goin out to Paris with 'De Fellas' and how he'd definitely pull this Valentine's etc.etc. (Insert spit, snort, snot + hair dye as appropriate)
    The worst of it all is a quick glance at Radio One's very good JNLR numbers would suggest that the adult radio punters of Ireland really like this stuff.
    Ah well, no one ever lost a dollar underestimating the bad taste of the public 'n all that.

Plenty of dollars lost due to the Irish public's bad taste in political parties though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Posts deleted.

Can we have no abuse on presenters appearance, it has little to do with their radio persona.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Never mind. George Lee will be takin over sports when he gets back as he's not allowed do political or economic stuff. George'll sort it out....

In fairness, George warned Brian Cody that their continued dominance of intercounty hurling would soon be over…

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Whenever he gets excited about something(usually about some lowlife idiot cycling to Azerbaijan or how a few idiots stuck in New York in the snow hired cars to drive to Florida to get to Croker for Sunday - he just loves that shyte)
    he sucks in the air thru the snout and sucks back on the spit.

Thank god in a way Ireland didn't qualify for SA as you'd be listening to Dessie interviewing 'Tony,Anto, Deco and Murrier' who sold their cars ,jacked in their jobs ,took a low cost flight to Windhoek and hitch hiked across the Kalahari to get to Irelands opening game."

I can do without that to be honest.:cool:

Nothing like exaggerating like hell to try and make a point. Lie down and take a rest for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Derryleigh wrote: »
    Nothing like exaggerating like hell to try and make a point. Lie down and take a rest for a while.

Hmmm.. Spoken like a true member of the Montrose 'family'.

Can't see the wood from the trees,shure the listener knows nothing, and is not entitled to criticise.Shure the listener is only paying through the nose to ensure these guys and gals have everything laid on and can work on the side,based on their RTE profile ,and trouser some nice dosh:cool:

Is that the way it works out?

yeah, that's the way the family circle the wagons.

And you're the worst in the world when you pipe up and say "What the fcuk is going on out there"

Two high profile staffers found out the hard way that commerce outside the Montrose 'cocoon' is a little rough and tumble and quickly scuttled back to the womb, where, cossetted and protected by the 'system' and the general air of arrogance and invincibility the talk down to the masses and trouser wedges which have most pundits and observers open-jawed with disbelief.

You don't fool this poster pilgrim;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

incredibly annoying and smug man

Can't see the wood from the trees,shure the listener knows nothing, and is not entitled to criticise.Shure the listener is only paying through the nose to ensure these guys and gals have everything laid on and can work on the side,based on their RTE profile ,and trouser some nice dosh:cool:

And you're the worst in the world when you pipe up and say "What the fcuk is going on out there"

Two high profile staffers found out the hard way that commerce outside the Montrose 'cocoon' is a little rough and tumble and quickly scuttled back to the womb, where, cossetted and protected by the 'system' and the general air of arrogance and invincibility the talk down to the masses and trouser wedges which have most pundits and observers open-jawed with disbelief.

Hold on. I didnt say you are not entitled to your opinion. Of course you are. And you do make valid points now and again.

I dont think there is a person on the planet who can say that everyone loves them, so I dont think people working in RTE or Today FM think so either. All I was pointing out was the fact that you used a mad exaggerated scenario relating to the world cup in South Africa, about men jacking in their jobs etc.,..

It just came across as incredibly childish as do most of your posts which have dreadful English and silly words. Pilgrim? What is that all about?

Hold on. I didnt say you are not entitled to your opinion. Of course you are. And you do make valid points now and again.

I dont think there is a person on the planet who can say that everyone loves them, so I dont think people working in RTE or Today FM think so either. All I was pointing out was the fact that you used a mad exaggerated scenario relating to the world cup in South Africa, about men jacking in their jobs etc.,..

It just came across as incredibly childish as do most of your posts which have dreadful English and silly words. Pilgrim? What is that all about?

Listen, let's leave it at that shall we?

If I am using too many unusual words and nuances,I apologise.

I'll try to dumb things down,maybe even resort to txtspk.

Sorry 'bout that .

• Advertisement

Listen, let's leave it at that shall we?

If I am using too many unusual words and nuances,I apologise.

I'll try to dumb things down,maybe even resort to txtspk.

Sorry 'bout that .

Agreed. I am just old school when it comes to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Did anyone see Liam Fays article in the Sunday Times about RTE this Sunday? It was a similar theme to this post. It was very funny.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article7026114.ece

Cahill is still at it.:confused:

Interviewing the Irish U23 cross country team this morning, after they 'went gold' in Portugal, first thing he asks is what time they went to bed at, followed by about 20 secs of snuffling and harrrumphing fnaaaar fnaaaar wink wink.

Very little about their performance,all he was interested in was the 'afters'.

Eleven o'clock bulletin he was still at it.....

How did that lad get a slot in RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I agree about Cahill.. He's far too overfamiliar, and tries to force his parochial humour into every conversation... RTE, you cannot do humour, do it straight or dont do it at all...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Interviewing the Irish U23 cross country team this morning, after they 'went gold' in Portugal, first thing he asks is what time they went to bed at, followed by about 20 secs of snuffling and harrrumphing fnaaaar fnaaaar wink wink.

Very little about their performance,all he was interested in was the 'afters'.

Eleven o'clock bulletin he was still at it.....

How did that lad get a slot in RTE?

Wasn't really surprised to be honest...Cahill peddles a brand of blokeish buffoonery while making sure not to offend any of the decentskins in the various sporting bodies.

It's too much of a risk to his lucrative compere / MC business on the side.

That is why he will never condem anything ...from downright thuggery in Rugby/GAA to obscene fat cat salaries in FAI.

I would have more respect if he came out and said what many people think i.e that Paul O'Connell acted like a thug when he elbowed the French Guy in the face...but no he will snort and harrump and say he was probably "provoked"!

Nonsense ! Bullsh1t....man up and grow a pair Dessie ...

Wasn't really surprised to be honest...Cahill peddles a brand of blokeish buffoonery while making sure not to offend any of the decentskins in the various sporting bodies.

It's too much of a risk to his lucrative compere / MC business on the side.

That is why he will never condem anything ...from downright thuggery in Rugby/GAA to obscene fat cat salaries in FAI.

I would have more respect if he came out and said what many people think i.e that Paul O'Connell acted like a thug when he elbowed the French Guy in the face...but no he will snort and harrump and say he was probably "provoked"!

Nonsense ! Bullsh1t....man up and grow a pair Dessie ...

That is so so true. I remember when he did his sports show following drivetime and a caller referred to the big wigs in the IRFU as 'buffoons' or similar.

Dessie lost the plot and went completely OTT...it was cringeworthy to be honest. It was like someone had slagged off his friends or family. The caller was taken aback as well, before he was unceremoniously dumped. :mad:

Haven't liked Cahill since he did that. Totally unnecessary and OTT.

Wouldn't George make a great Fine Gael canditate in the next election - the country need someone with grit and determination.....

telekon wrote: »
    That is so so true. I remember when he did his sports show following drivetime and a caller referred to the big wigs in the IRFU as 'buffoons' or similar.

Dessie lost the plot and went completely OTT...it was cringeworthy to be honest. It was like someone had slagged off his friends or family. The caller was taken aback as well, before he was unceremoniously dumped. :mad:

Haven't liked Cahill since he did that. Totally unnecessary and OTT.

Happens all the time with cahill I'm sure you will have noticed.

That is why Newstalk have wiped the floor with RTE in the area of Radio sports discussion programmes.

You can forget abut any edgy, near the knuckle,challenge the sacred cows sharp stuff from the likes of Cahill...too many vested interests.

Great though to see the greedy goons in the IRFU / FAI got burned on the ticket bundling scam / prices they tried to stiff John Public with for in the recent Internationals.

Hopefull the same will apply to the Six nations matches - interesting to see if any lessons will be learned .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

People not useing the thanks button enough in this thread:)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

People not useing the thanks button enough in this thread:)

rounders123,....thanks:)

delaad wrote: »
    rounders123,....thanks:)

No problem:)

Just a pity theres more jibes focused on Kenny rather than Cahill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

No problem:)

Just a pity theres more jibes focused on Kenny rather than Cahill.

+1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

How long will he and PK spend giggling about Venus Williams' dress before getting around to the sports news ?

Jaysus!!!

Cahill was at it again today, relating how 'de fellas' in my pub put money behind the counter to save up for Cheltenham.

Who the fcuk does this in 2011.

Where does he live?

In 1956 in a council estate ?

Is he making this crap up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Jaysus!!!

Cahill was at it again today, relating how 'de fellas' in my pub put money behind the counter to save up for Cheltenham.

Who the fcuk does this in 2011.

Where does he live?

In 1956 in a council estate ?

Is he making this crap up?

I heard this as well: it was an interesting exercise in how to lower one's blood pressure when one encounters someone who's clearly not on the same planet as you. This kind of faux-nostalgia was just about acceptable during the boom, but when people are losing their homes, it's pretty tasteless.

Heard that too. At first I thought they were saving for an annual trip to Cheltenham which might have its merits if organised properly.

But when it transpired that that they were only chipping in to get some betting money together, I thought to myself, what a bunch of sad morons.

Grown men giving Gerry the barman a fiver a week all year in case the missus takes it off them.

Wouldn't happen in my local boozer I tell ya. Either Gerry would do a runner with the cash the week before Celtenham, or the pub owner would call in the liquidators and píss off to the races himself.

By the way - I hope these two aren't brothers !
    Thank god in a way Ireland didn't qualify for SA as you'd be listening to Dessie interviewing 'Tony, Anto, Deco and Murrier' who sold their cars ,jacked in their jobs ,took a low cost flight to Windhoek and hitch hiked across the Kalahari to get to Irelands opening game."

Anyone remember the story Pat Kenny told about Des and the RTE table quiz?

Pat was quizmaster and it was the sports round. The question was "whats the maximum finish you can achieve in darts? The answer was 170.

Now one could be forgiven for saying 180 (maximum score). However Des's answer was...."147, no wait, 174!!"

.............174, everyone, 174!! :D

Des Cahill - RTE's Expert on everything Sport. :rolleyes:

Lapin wrote: »
    Heard that too. At first I thought they were saving for an annual trip to Cheltenham which might have its merits if organised properly.

But when it transpired that that they were only chipping in to get some betting money together, I thought to myself, what a bunch of sad morons.

Grown men giving Gerry the barman a fiver a week all year in case the missus takes it off them.

Wouldn't happen in my local boozer I tell ya. Either Gerry would do a runner with the cash the week before Celtenham, or the pub owner would call in the liquidators and píss off to the races himself.

By the way - I hope these two aren't brothers !

Sad fcukers indeed, but Cahill seems to love these losers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

Sad fcukers indeed, but Cahill seems to love these losers.

Why are they losers?

• Advertisement

Why are they losers?

:rolleyes:

Any gimp who had to put money behind a bar in 2010/11 to fund his Cheltenham week is a fcuking bull's eye loser .

They don't even do that shít in Darndale.

For fcuk's sake man, this is not the 1960s

Jeeeesh..

Any gimp who had to put money behind a bar in 2010/11 to fund his Cheltenham week is a fcuking bull's eye loser .

Jeeeesh..

How do you know? do you follow racing. Alot of people take the week off work to go to the pub, back horses and have a good time. Is that a crime?

How do you know? do you follow racing. Alot of people take the week off work to go to the pub, back horses and have a good time. Is that a crime?

:confused:

WTF:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

Jeeeesh..
    What? They are probably from a lower socio economic bacggkround and so can't just splurge for the week will nilly. Therefore they took the responsible step of putting a little aside and thereby having a guaranteed kitty to play with for the week, if they are lucky they can turn a profit. :rolleyes:
    indeed.

Jeeeesh..

I follow racing myself and Cheltenham is one of the highlights of my sporting year. If I don't go there, I take a half day off work for 2 days during the festival and watch it down the pub.

However there is no way I would take part in one of those savings schemes they have in Des Cahill's boozer. Here are just 3 reasons why.....

1, I worked in the pub game long enough myself to know that such things inevitably lead to arguments, or at the very least tension, when one or two of the regulars fall behind. For the same reason I would never join a lotto syndicate.

2, As I alluded to in an earlier post, I wouldn't trust anyone in my local pub to hold my money on my behalf for a year. Have these guys never heard of the Credit Union, or a simple Post Office savings book?

3, If I was chipping into one of these kittys, the last thing I would want is Des friggin Cahill telling half the nation about it on live radio.

What? They are probably from a lower socio economic bacggkround and so can't just splurge for the week will nilly. Therefore they took the responsible step of putting a little aside and thereby having a guaranteed kitty to play with for the week, if they are lucky they can turn a profit. :rolleyes:
    indeed.

Lower socio-economic group!!! Why, I wonder?;)

They can afford to spend the week in the pub and the bookies.

Pull the other one laddie.:rolleyes:

Lapin wrote: »
    I follow racing myself and Cheltenham is one of the highlights of my sporting year. If I don't go there, I take a half day off work for 2 days during the festival and watch it down the pub.

However there is no way I would take part in one of those savings schemes they have in Des Cahill's boozer. Here are just 3 reasons why.....

1, I worked in the pub game long enough myself to know that such things inevitably lead to arguments, or at the very least tension, when one or two of the regulars fall behind. For the same reason I would never join a lotto syndicate.

2, As I alluded to in an earlier post, I wouldn't trust anyone in my local pub to hold my money on my behalf for a year. Have these guys never heard of the Credit Union, or a simple Post Office savings book?

3, If I was chipping into one of these kittys, the last thing I would want is Des friggin Cahill telling half the nation about it on live radio.

Spot on son.

That kind of crap is the stuff that went on in the 50s, I'm told, when 'the man' was the only one 'working' and needed to hide the full story from 'the missus' .

I'm not surprised Cahill thinks that outdated shíte is great crack as he seems to revert to type and 'go ferral' whenever he mixes with these neanderthals.

I can imagine him bellying up to the bar with 'de fellas' after another RTE junket and regaling 'de fellas' with tales of derring do and places visited all at John Q Taxpayers expense.

I have stopped watching the Sunday game since he took over shoooorrrt snooort :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Wow... This thread has veered off topic. We're talking about radio, remember?

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement