Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Melbourne

Options
  • 12-02-2010 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Just wondering if i get the time, which would be the best Gaelic club to join in Melbourne, and when does their season start. How competitive is GAA over there? Play a bit of GAA at the moment, dont want anything too serious, just keep fit and meet new people

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

You just missed a big seven a side, All Australia Tournament at the weekend. There are a least three teams that I know of here in Melbourne. Wolfetones, Sinn Fein and Padraig Pearse. The Wolfetones are taught to be the best at the moment, beaten in the final on Sunday by a team from Sydney. As for the best to play with, that would be up to yourself to decide but I’d say they’d all be fairly similar. I think all they started training in the last month or two. The seven a side tournament was quite competitive at the weekend and they seem to take it quite serious. I know both Sinn Fein and Padraig Pearse train twice a week, Tuesdays and Thursdays. If you want details about training for either Sinn Fein or Padraig Pearse let me know and I’ll find out for you as I have friends playing with both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Try popping into The Quiet Man bar on Race Course Road, I think there's a few GAA heads that hang around there. I think Father Flanagans closer to the city is another place.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

Thanks s.c, Myself and a mate are heading over in the next few weeks. Will give you a shout if we have any other queries

Fontanalis will keep them pubs in mind when over there cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

All your details are here on this link http://www.gaa.ie/page/australasia.html
    It includes the webpages of the various clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

GAA is a great way to get yourself a job...especially in Sydney. Most of the construction bosses run teams and they are pretty competitive about it. I know boys who got a job within 3 days of being in Australia simply because they are good footballers and hurlers... the bosses promise you a job if play football for them. Also promise of the use of Utes and sponsorship are also on the cards.

Jobs are often got by word of mouth where someone has played football with someone else... thats how it works

In the construction jobs the boys from the western and northern counties always do better than the city blokes... probably down to strong rural football/Hurling ties.

• Advertisement
Advertisement