Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New Alan Wake Trailer from X10

• 12-02-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

Looks like its finally coming May 21st. Trailer still shows hardly anything but people playing it at X10 said it was deadly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yeah, really suprised that the date is so close now.

There is alot of other X10 details out too. Perfect Dark release window, Fable 3 release window and details. New Ghost Recon beta, Halo Reach beta dated. Crackdown 2 screen shots and Lost Planet 2 co-op details. There will be feck all for E3 this year at this rate.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-4370-Our-Easy-to-Digest-X10-News-Round-Up.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Yeah, really suprised that the date is so close now.

There is alot of other X10 details out too. Perfect Dark release window, Fable 3 release window and details. New Ghost Recon beta, Halo Reach beta dated. Crackdown 2 screen shots and Lost Planet 2 co-op details. There will be feck all for E3 this year at this rate.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-4370-Our-Easy-to-Digest-X10-News-Round-Up.html

Worse, it will be all Natal ****e!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

RAIN wrote: »
    Worse, it will be all Natal ****e!

Too true, leave all that messing around to the Wii and let the 360 do what is does best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Yea mass effect 2 and Alan Wake are showing what the xbox can do. I have no interest in jumping around in front of the screen Ala Wii style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

In san francisco at the moment, played it last night. Cant talk bout specifics since its embargoed til the 18th... But its VERY good!

• Advertisement

Yea mass effect 2 and Alan Wake are showing what the xbox can do.

From speaking to devs this week, its literally at its absolute limit right now for the likes of wake, conviction & reach. They dont seem to think its possible to push the hardware any more

Cannot wait for this. I really want it to be good, after all the delays.

I remember buying a 360 at official launch, on the strength of this game, (amongst others)!

Nearly 5 years ago now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Any one see the Lost planet 2 / Gears of War video? what was that all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

calex71 wrote: »
    Any one see the Lost planet 2 / Gears of War video? what was that all about?

Marcus and Dom from Gears (along with RE5's Wesker) are unlockable skins in LP2.

On-topic, Alan Wake is looking very impressive, the atmosphere seems quite chilling!

tis the 18th, can talk about this now (tho i forgot til now lol)

anyway, from my hands on time with wake its gonna be an absolute belter. the game itself has been finished since may of last year, but the remedy guys have basically been polishing the life out of it since then, and it really shows. the atmosphere while playing is incredible, and the light/dark dynamic works brilliantly

the whole thing with having to shine some sort of light force onto your enemies before being able to damage them is fantastically well realised. as you progress the levels you find messages left for you in light sensitive paint which really helps things progress along and prevents an undue amount of "where the hell am i and where am i meant to be going" which wouldve happened otherwise, basically since everythings so dark

in terms of controls theyre fluid and intuitive, everything is where it should be (despite me ranting to matias myllyrinne for a few minutes about every game having an uninverted y axis by default, he agreed that its a bit of a pain but statistics show that a slightly higher percentage of people prefer it that way. to those people i say this: you are freaks).

level design is excellent, with varied terrain (surprising since the first level is basically just in a forest, but they shake it up exceptionally well)

as you go you'll have to find batteries for your torch, which you can will brighter at the expense of battery power, or alternative sources of light - of which there are quite a few, and some are quite clever

graphics are the best ive seen on either the 360 or the ps3 by a long shot. its not really a case that theyre simply pretty, but they run at a rock solid frame rate, and theyre just fantastically, and subtly, stylized

if this isnt a contender for game of the year ill be absolutely amazed

the remedy lads have really taken their time making sure that its just right, and i think theyre onto a winner. my fears of it turning into a generic survival horror kinda game were definitely allayed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Wow, thanks for the info Helix. Are the visuals really that good in it? How do they compare to uncharted 2?

thorbarry wrote: »
    Wow, thanks for the info Helix. Are the visuals really that good in it? How do they compare to uncharted 2?

theyre better than uncharted 2, in so far as theres more possible routes, and each one is as glorious as the next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Bumpety bump. Getting close to release now.

First official review is out, and it got 93% on a Spanish magazine called Hobby Consolas. Sounds like a good start, and will probably be a 85%-90% average score at worst. Hopefully it will be a 90%+ average though.

The game is apparently 10-16 hours long too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

A friend's review copy arrived today, and he was quite impressed by the first hour or so at least when I was speaking to him this morning. I've preordered Red Dead, but may have to pick this up as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mr E wrote: »
    The game is apparently 10-16 hours long too.

:eek: i'll rent it so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I've pre-ordered the collector's edition of this, it's really piqued my interest.

There's a series of live-action shorts called Bright Falls being shown weekly in the lead up to release. Not sure if it's only the US Xbox that has it, but you can see the first two episodes here

They tell the story leading up to the events of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

calex71 wrote: »
    :eek: i'll rent it so

10-16 hours is a decent enough lifespan for a game these days, and is imo the perfect length for a game. I would find it hard to find the time to put into a game any longer than that, unless it's the kind of game that can be played in short bursts

I'll be renting it anyway, but if I had the cash to spare it'd be a definite purchase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I have been looking forward to this since the Xbox was launched, it has better be worth the wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

NotorietyH wrote: »
    I've pre-ordered the collector's edition of this, it's really piqued my interest.

There's a series of live-action shorts called Bright Falls being shown weekly in the lead up to release. Not sure if it's only the US Xbox that has it, but you can see the first two episodes here

They tell the story leading up to the events of the game.

They will be in Ireland too on the 30th of April. Looking foward to this too. Think its a good idea to build up to the game.

The first two episodes of “Bright Falls” will be available for viewing in Ireland exclusively on Xbox LIVE on April 30 before debuting at BrightFalls.com on May 4. New episodes will then be released on May 8 and May 14, leading up to the shocking conclusion with the final two episodes on May 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Review embargo is over.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/alanwake

Disappointing review from Eurogamer, tbh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I'd probably play it with the lights on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Mr E wrote: »
    Review embargo is over.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/alanwake

Disappointing review from Eurogamer, tbh....
    Not surprising in the slightest... There's a reason it was held back for 5 years... Same reason Too Human was held back for ten, and look how that ended up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

It's averaging 84 on metacritic. So it's getting very good reviews. Some great, some just saying it's good. I've seen a few reviews compare it to Uncharted 1. In that there's some great mechanics, atmosphere etc. it's jsut doesnt' completely click, but the second game will no doubt be amazing.

I'm still looking forward to it a lot and still getting it day one anyway. I don't put much stock in Eurogamer's reviews. They seem to be very contrary on platform-specific exclusives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

This is a definite miss.

Got review code today. Played the first episode, very impressed so far and I was not expecting it to be.

Visuals and presentation are top notch, combat is tight and controls are well thought out. The story is great so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Going to trade in Splinter Cell Conviction for this one, looking forward to playing it

tman wrote: »
    10-16 hours is a decent enough lifespan for a game these days, and is imo the perfect length for a game

wake is more 8, 5-6 if you skip the cut scenes apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

In the local branch of a well known games retailer they had it in early(Friday 7th). The guy behind the counter was playing it while I was there. He said it was amazing. Looked excellent as well. Couldnt sell it to me though.:(Pre-ordered the special edition as it was the same price.

Finished it yesterday. Hmmmh dno how I feel about it yet, it was fantastic at the start but by the end the combat started to ware on me a lot. Theres no spoilers in here but just encase
    you fight the same 5 'taken' through the whole game and they do really annoying things like spawn behind you and throw things from a distance.

Took me 9hrs for the record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Finished it last night. As above, it starts off great, and I suppose it continues at that level or thereabouts. I'm not really complaining about this as it's very rare that a game can have the same effect it intially has on you after many hours of play.

I'd still give it 9/10 though.

Advertisement