Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part Year Tax Free Threshold?

Options
  • 12-02-2010 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

*grumbles about boards not giving him his account back*

I was trying to fill out my tax return today, since I'm leaving Oz in a couple of days, and had been banking on being entitled to the full $6000 tax free threshold, which pretty much meets my full earnings for my time over here. Midway through the forms I found the bit about having to calculate my tax free threshold in relation to the months of 09/10 spent in Australia, which would mean incurring tax on about half of those earnings.

My Visa, however, is valid until June, so I theoretically could remain here working, or return here if things go that way. Realistically, will I see any problems if I just file a normal tax return using Etax at the end of the year, rather than filing an early one now, with the "give me less money" post-it (Part Year Tax etc info) attached.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? Have I totally misunderstood something? Can I have my normal boards account back yet? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Impassive wrote: »
    *grumbles about boards not giving him his account back*

I was trying to fill out my tax return today, since I'm leaving Oz in a couple of days, and had been banking on being entitled to the full $6000 tax free threshold, which pretty much meets my full earnings for my time over here. Midway through the forms I found the bit about having to calculate my tax free threshold in relation to the months of 09/10 spent in Australia, which would mean incurring tax on about half of those earnings.

My Visa, however, is valid until June, so I theoretically could remain here working, or return here if things go that way. Realistically, will I see any problems if I just file a normal tax return using Etax at the end of the year, rather than filing an early one now, with the "give me less money" post-it (Part Year Tax etc info) attached.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? Have I totally misunderstood something? Can I have my normal boards account back yet? :(

No problems at all using etax at end of the year, but if you fill out your return now then you would encounter problems if you returned.

If you were a 'resident for tax purposes' the you will be entitled to the 6k threshold. Yopu shouldn't be paying tax if you earned under 6k if you are a RfTP .. don't for get the low income tax offset too, so if you earn less than 15k, then you are essentially tax free
    link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Impassive

Well, no, I won't actually be returning. I was just saying that I had a valid visa, so potentially could, and trying to pre-empt someone giving out to me for trying to avoid paying tax :).

And hmm... I was a resident for tax purposes, but I would cease to be as of tomorrow... http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/20072.htm, which according to this would reduce my tax free threshold by $2500 or thereabouts.

But that other thing complicates matters further... I hadn't seen mention of that, but I stopped struggling through Taxpack when I saw that stuff about the part year threshold. In any case, I can't do anything just yet, since I'm waiting for my last few payslips from Coles *grumble grumble* so I guess I'll just wait until etax time, rather than trying to send the forms across from home and probably waiting 6-8 weeks for moneys to appear anyway.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement