Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bagel Factory - Wouldn't let me have deal they advertised

Options
  • 12-02-2010 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi - just wanted to see what anyone thought of an expeience I had yeaterday. Went into the Bagel Factory on Grafton Steet and asked for the deal on offer - Any Breakfast Bagel with Coffee for a certain price. When I asked for one of the bagels from the breakfast menu I was told I couldn't have it as that was not on the deal.

I then read out the deal to her, and she then said the picture is of a bagle with egg - and the deal only applies if there is egg in it. I asked her to come read the sign which she did, there was no mention of egg - to which she then said that her bosses told her that they needed to "get rid of the egg" - hence not offering the deal as advertised.

In these tough times, I was a (very) regular visitor to the Bagel Factory - but alas not more, and have little sympathy if thats the wway they wish to trest (previously) loyal customers.

Am I being over petty here - I always get frustrated when people avertise one thing and then thats not really what they meant....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

nope - vote with your feet - if only more people did the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

+1, "Any" should mean exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Report them to the Advertising Standards Authority. That kills me too, they shouldn't be allowed away with it. Thieving b*stards. I actually got a horrible (really really horrific) bagel from there before. It was so bad that i actually wrote a letter of complaint to the head office. (i didn't do it there because i just picked it up and came back to the office and then opened it)

Noone even bothered replying. I hope they go out of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I find the opposite, they do quite tasty bagels but they're an awful bunch of idiots.

I had a similar incident to the OP, got a breakfast bagel but without the egg in Baggot Street. When it came to paying for it they priced all the ingredients individually and it came to a ridiculous price. I tried explaining to the girl at the counter that it was the exact same thing as the breakfast bagel you have advertised behind you but without the egg, she still wouldn't give it to me at that price. A manager type person came over and I explained the same thing to her highlighting that in fact it should probably be cheaper as I'm getting less ingredients, but it was like talking to a wall. Fine said I, I don't want it and left it on their counter and haven't been back since.

What I really should have done was order the full breakfast bagel, paid the lower price and scrapped the egg off onto their counter and then leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Similar situation in a Centra a while ago, asked for Hot Roast beef on some type fo bread special. Came with Horse Radish spread and Rocket and Red Onion I think.
    The guy asks do I want butter I say no, he then asks what I want on it.
    I said "the "Hot Roast Beef special".
    Do you want cheese? I said I want whats on the special.
    Would you like Salsa? I said I want whats on the special, the hose radish sauce. "We Don't have it" Turns out they didn't have rocket or red onion either.

I hold him to change to a ham and cheese as he couldn't give me what I ordered, starts looking at me as if I had 2 heads and told me I would have to pay for the Roast Beef sandwich to which I told him he hadn't actually got what I ordered and why he hadn't told me that before he started making it up.

Ended up leaving with nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

Had similar experience with X-Tra Vision in Ashbourne over Christmas.
    They had Inglorios Bastards for sale and you got the original free with
    it.I gave in my copy and the guy said 20 quid without giving me the
    original.When I asked for it he said he'd none,and waited on the money.
    I said it was only 15 quid in Tesco so which he just gave me a look as it
    to say f**k off and get it there.Which I did.

Great movie by the way..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Jip wrote: »
    I find the opposite, they do quite tasty bagels but they're an awful bunch of idiots.

I had a similar incident to the OP, got a breakfast bagel but without the egg in Baggot Street. When it came to paying for it they priced all the ingredients individually and it came to a ridiculous price. I tried explaining to the girl at the counter that it was the exact same thing as the breakfast bagel you have advertised behind you but without the egg, she still wouldn't give it to me at that price. A manager type person came over and I explained the same thing to her highlighting that in fact it should probably be cheaper as I'm getting less ingredients, but it was like talking to a wall. Fine said I, I don't want it and left it on their counter and haven't been back since.

What I really should have done was order the full breakfast bagel, paid the lower price and scrapped the egg off onto their counter and then leave.

Have had similar experience. Staff are brainless. I like the turkey club melt though. Nyom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Pfftt. Could be worse: You could've bitten into a bagel only to be met with a stubbed out cigarette butt. Happened to me the last time I went in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pazza

Had contacted both Bagel Factory (by mail) and national consumer agency, and unsurprisingly heard from neither.

The shop had the advertisement changed the next day (I did complain in shop at the time) - and have to agree with a previous post, I was partial to their bagels, esp the turkey club, but alas, if thats the way they wish to do business, it just won't be from me (my wife is very disappointed that I have also "banned" her from there ;) - although I suspect she may head for a sneaky one when I am not about....). I am very sympathetic to the current plight of lots of our businesses (come on taniste - do a deal with MO'L and get these 300 jobs) but can't believe that business is happy to drive formerly loyal customers away....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Best one I had was a furniture store in Limerick. We needed a sofa ASAP so were sold by the 'guaranteed delivery in 7 days' poster.

Inside was a selection of about 20 sofas that had this sticker on.

We ordered one, paid for it, I asked about delivery when he stated

'It'll be about 4 weeks.'
    'It says guaranteed delivery in 7 days on the sticker.'
    'Yes. It'll be about 4 weeks.'
    'I'll take a refund then'
    He proceeded to refund without any question. Odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I notice their store on Liffey Street refused point blank to do me a takeaway salad on two occasions recently. These are easier to make, use the same ingredients as bagels, take less time to put together and I didn't want to sit down taking up a valuable spot in their tiny shop.

Maybe they'd just run out of the takeaway containers etc, but either way it's stupid management. Never ever visiting that franchise again.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

ch750536 wrote: »
    Best one I had was a furniture store in Limerick. We needed a sofa ASAP so were sold by the 'guaranteed delivery in 7 days' poster.

Inside was a selection of about 20 sofas that had this sticker on.

We ordered one, paid for it, I asked about delivery when he stated

'It'll be about 4 weeks.'
    'It says guaranteed delivery in 7 days on the sticker.'
    'Yes. It'll be about 4 weeks.'
    'I'll take a refund then'
    He proceeded to refund without any question. Odd.

Probably knew that if you pushed it he didn't have a legal leg to stand on since it was both false advertising and 'bait and switch' tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Their bagels are a ripp off anyway,, 4.95 for a bagel thats gone in 2 bites...
    Prefer to go into Superquinn and get a decent role make up then their sh!te

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

mondeo wrote: »
    Their bagels are a ripp off anyway,, 4.95 for a bagel thats gone in 2 bites...
    Prefer to go into Superquinn and get a decent role make up then their sh!te

totally agree, paying about 5 euro for a sandwich with a hole in the middle! I thought bagels would go with the celtic tiger and the jumbo breakfast roll:)

Advertisement