Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One radiator not working

• 12-02-2010 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

One of our rads, the furthest one from the boiler doesn't heat up. It gets warm around the inlet pipe but the rest of the rad and the return pipe stay cold. I've bled it but there's no air in it. The system is only 3 years old but could it be a build up of sludge even though all the other rads are very hot?

I could take it off and run a hose through it but that's a lot of trouble to go too if it's not filled with sludge.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I had the same problem before - it was sludge but I had tried everything before hand,

Put your pump to the next setting - it might be at I so put to II.
    Is your rad far away from the boiler ?

When I found it was sludge on my rad - it wasn't in the rad but at the two 90deg elbows just below the floor boards. cleaned them out and now perfect.

this summer now - i will flush the full system twice - as it does build up.

k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Rad is about 25 metres from boiler. As it's a bungalow, all the rads are on the same level. I'll try to boost the pump andcsee if that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I had the same problem when i moved into my apt. Turn off all the rads bar that one and turn the heating on. The pressure should clear whatever was blocking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi
    you might need to balance your system, have you changed the settings on any of your other rad's, it might have caused this problem.
    check if the pipes are hot before the radiator valve.
    Let us know how you get on.

CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

try turning all other rads off and when faulty rad heats up turn the other rads back on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

One of our rads, the furthest one from the boiler doesn't heat up. It gets warm around the inlet pipe but the rest of the rad and the return pipe stay cold. I've bled it but there's no air in it. The system is only 3 years old but could it be a build up of sludge even though all the other rads are very hot?

I could take it off and run a hose through it but that's a lot of trouble to go too if it's not filled with sludge.

probably need to balance the system alright, if the balancing valves are open all the way on the rads nearer the boiler then the water flows through them too easy and wont go out to the far away one. Close other rads down except the problem one as suggested by other posts and see that it heats up, then close balancing valves down and open just one turn on all rads except problem one. Also the immersion tank heating coil manual valve should only be open 1 turn or so as well

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

Should the pump not be on III.

Advertisement