Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym's Naas / Newbridge

Options
  • 12-02-2010 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Looking to join a gym around June in Naas or Newbridge as my membership will be up in May for my current gym.
    Gym would need swimming pool also.
    Any idea.
    I know Jackie Skelly in Newbridge is approx 600 for the year, so looking to see what other options are available first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Used to be a member of the osprey in Naas and have to say it was top notch, a lot nicer than Jackie Skellies in my opinion, currently a member of K-Leisure in Naas (Caragh Rd) and amn't too impressed by it, staff aren't as friendly, place isn't as lively, gym area itself seems kind of gloomy but maybe thats just me. Both have pools btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

The Osprey is pretty nice, has a pool (haven't used it though). I'm pretty sure the rate was 400 euro for 12 months last I checked. Would recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I was not mad on the gym in the osprey, thought it was quite dark and dingy. Also tried the place in Caragh, good pool, but they were very disorganised.

Now member of Naas Health & Fittness in Monread. Excellent gym, great classes, but very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Cheers for the feedback guys. The osprey sounds interesting alright and a good price at approx 400 for the year. I presume they let you use it once before signing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jonnycwh

The Killashee also have a massive gym and pool and lots of parking. But i would say Naas Health and Fitness is the place to be for fitness fanatics. Killashee is more of a laid back kind of club.
    The Osprey is very nice but the gym facilities are limited. It has a fantastic steam room though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

syngindub wrote: »
    Cheers for the feedback guys. The osprey sounds interesting alright and a good price at approx 400 for the year. I presume they let you use it once before signing up.

I'm not sure, you'd think they would anyway. It's probably worth checking out a few places that were mentioned here, I did hear great things about Naas Health & Fitness but it was too expensive for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

is there any gyms in Newbridge other than Jackie Skellies?? Was going to join there but its quite expensive, want to see what other options i have

Yes, there is a gym in Newbridge sport centre which is on station road, recently got done up an it seems nice enough but no pool there. Then you have the Gables which has a pool which has just been done up and a gym which I have no idea what its like, and if you're willing to splash out the Keadeen is meant to have a lovey gym and pool but I heard it is terribly expensive, have never been though.

where is the Gables?

where is the Gables?

Around the back of Whitewater if you go down the Athgarvan road its on your left hand side, about 5-10 min walk from the town.

• Advertisement

Around the back of Whitewater if you go down the Athgarvan road its on your left hand side, about 5-10 min walk from the town.
    cheers, will check that place out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

anewme wrote: »
    I was not mad on the gym in the osprey, thought it was quite dark and dingy.
    Are you sure you're thinking of the right gym?? I could never imagine describing the osprey as dark or dingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Got a leaflet through the door for the Keadeen today. No joining fee, 2 months free on yearly subscriptions. 3 months free spa membership. Doesn't say how much it is for the year/month though.
    I'm with the Newbridge sports centre, good facilities, nice staff. 98 euro for two months, gets cheaper/month if you join for longer. Although, as already pointed out, no pool.

Are you sure you're thinking of the right gym?? I could never imagine describing the osprey as dark or dingy.

I thought the pool area was very claustrophobic and warm. Then the person showing me round, brought me into this dark small room (weights area)

There were a load of really big guys who were obviously into their weights. The room was small and dark - I know I would not use it. Then there was the ladies weights room, with not many weights in it.

its mad the way peoples preceptions can differ - I would have never thought of it that way, but thinking about it I can see what you mean.

I was a member but left because I was not using it enough and my OH gets so many guest passes it made sense.

However, they've had a special offer on in Jan on joining for a year and the place has gone downhill so quickly. I was there today for the first time since Christmas. Toilets not flushed in any of the cubicles, the upstairs toilet had a soaking wet floor, the coffee area was filthy with cups & plates left lying around. Kids were in the hydro pool (signs specifically saying this wasn't allowed) towels all over the place, groups having very loud conversations in the spa area (signs ask for silence, which may be a bit much to ask, but shouting conversations up and down the length of the area is a bit much too). One machine left absolutely covered in sweat. :mad: disgusting. I'll never ever go back on a saturday. Might be ok during the week but if today is anything to go by.

Really, you may as well be at the public pool/changing rooms. I revoke my recommendation of the osprey based on todays visit alone!

its mad the way peoples preceptions can differ - I would have never thought of it that way, but thinking about it I can see what you mean.

I was a member but left because I was not using it enough and my OH gets so many guest passes it made sense.

However, they've had a special offer on in Jan on joining for a year and the place has gone downhill so quickly. I was there today for the first time since Christmas. Toilets not flushed in any of the cubicles, the upstairs toilet had a soaking wet floor, the coffee area was filthy with cups & plates left lying around. Kids were in the hydro pool (signs specifically saying this wasn't allowed) towels all over the place, groups having very loud conversations in the spa area (signs ask for silence, which may be a bit much to ask, but shouting conversations up and down the length of the area is a bit much too). One machine left absolutely covered in sweat. :mad: disgusting. I'll never ever go back on a saturday. Might be ok during the week but if today is anything to go by.

Really, you may as well be at the public pool/changing rooms. I revoke my recommendation of the osprey based on todays visit alone!

When I was being shown around, it was last September/October and that is the exact impression I got about the sweaty machines, etc. There was such a smell of sweat in the weights area, which was tiny and dark and crowded that it put me off the place.

It is the kind of place that would not benefit from having too many members, it is simply not big enough.

I joined when I moved to Kildare, about 3 years ago.I had changed from the gym in citywest and the osprey was much much better at the time. You were paying a bit extra, but you got what you paid for, it was usually not busy at all, the staff seemed to know most people by name etc. Now though, you may be paying slightly less but it seems to be a not so nice place anymore.

On the otherhand - they are doing a fund raiser for PAWS so thats a good thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CC23

I was in the Osprey having a look there today and thought it was really nice. The price was even nicer, €445 for a year. The girl was saying they're expanding the gym and investing in some new equipment, so that's good. Just doing a quick google search on it there to get some more info - mixed reports here tho! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

where is the Gables?

I could be wrong here, but I am heard that the Gables has oldish gym equipment. the pool is supposed to be good, but frequented by travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

[One machine left absolutely covered in sweat. :mad: disgusting. I'll never ever go back on a saturday. Might be ok during the week but if today is anything to go by.

![/QUOTE]

I notice in very few gyms in ireland do people wipe down the equipment after use. having a hand towel should be mandatory as well. there are rules but most of them are not enforced.

i find it gas the way the women are afraid to be in the sauna with men.

• Advertisement

Nah, I checked - €445 for the Osprey and €495 for K Leisure. Pay as you go is handy alright but not if you go regularly. 3 times a week is €24 a week :eek: Going in to join today! Here's to a healthy new me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PhilTorres

Member of the Naas Health and Fitness in Monread myself. Gym is god,Staff are friendly and has pool jacuzzi steam room and sauna. Prices are still bit high but coming down slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SallinsMan

Don't mind your gym....Why not join a hurling club. Sallins Hurling are recruiting new hurlers (both seasoned and rookies new to the game are welcome) for the coming season. We train twice a week in the great outdoors and play a match most weeks. The added bonus is getting to know a good bunch of lads!!

Give me a shout if anyone’s interested at sallinshurling@gmail.com

SallinsMan wrote: »
    Don't mind your gym....Why not join a hurling club. Sallins Hurling are recruiting new hurlers .....
    join a hurling club..are ye having a laugh brother :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sarahchristinem

Hi,

Anyone interested in joining Life gym? They have a special offer on at the min, 2 adults join and third adult free - 990 euro for 14 months.

So would work out at 330 per person for 14 months!!

PM me if interested!

Wow, that's a great offer! Paid €445 for a year myself but still delighted with the place. Always doing new things and offering great services! They're even starting swiming lessons for kids in September and I'm putting my youngest Ciara into it.

Maybe if you contact the club they'd hook you up with someone else looking for it. Worth a shot - the staff on reception are really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

http://www.killasheehouse.com/leisure/membership

i find killashee to be pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jillym

I would agree with the above poster also. I have been a member of so many gyms in the Naas/Clane even so far as Maynooth areas and K Leisure in Naas is by far THE best gym I have been in. Spotless, really lovely staff, classes are so professional and ALWAYS run. I got so sick of gyms where there was clearly a lack of interest by the instructors in the classes they taught that people would then not turn up. Not K Leisure. Its motivation all the way. I highly recommend the place. You wont be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gloveworm

Another positive for K Leisure, I've been a member for 3 months now and find it to be excellent and great value for money. I mainly attend the classes, mostly Body Pump and Body Attack, and I really enjoy them. The instructors (Helena, Paddy & Eimantas) are a real credit to the place; friendly, positive, respectful (rare in gym instructors, in my experience) and encouraging. You have to book in for classes and are penalised for cancelling them within the 6 hours before they start, which really helps me, attendance-wise.

I haven't really used the pool myself yet but my husband is a regular swimmer and is very happy with it. Everywhere is kept very clean and the general atmosphere is good. The gym area could do with more clear floor space for mat work, it's somewhat overcrowded with machines (I'm not a fan of stretching machines) but it's standard enough from what I've seen of Irish gyms.

• Advertisement

Further to my posts above - I've been back at the osprey gym since as it's so local. It's really bad now. Especially in the spa area. We paid for a hydrofloat session and spent the whole time listening to a group of people shouting. There's money well wasted. :rolleyes: Another time a group of women were chasing each other around, managed to smack another woman who was not in their group with the door of the steam room. Another group spent an hour smacking each other with wet hats screaming at the top of their voices. And yet another time a group of men having a good ould shouting match in the relaxation room. There is nobody in the spa are to make sure it's, well a spa area, as opposed to a social club for people who can't read signs.

You'd see more respect for other users in a community hall.

Advertisement