Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best network for mobile internet?

• 12-02-2010 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

Which of the networks provide most GB per your buck and have least restrictions (like sending traffic via their fitlering proxies etc)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

im on 3 billpay now but less that happy with service

meteor 10GB for 15eur looks good, do they interfere with the internet access (like vodaphone do by using a proxy?) and whats the network coverage like for 3G?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I wish O2 would offer more MB for a decent price, for me, I think it is expensive for what you get.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Interesting, thanks for the info about meteor

what happens when you go above the caps? do some crazy pricing kick in?? do all of these provide a way of monitoring usage??

so many questions :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Don't they offer 1GB per month for €9.99 aswell? I switched to Vodafone last night and I'm going to sign up for it. Link Here

From their site:

If you use mobile internet frequently

Get great value with our Mobile Internet add on - 1Gb per month for just €9.99. With this add on:
    • Price per MB after you have used your bundle is €5
    • Unused MBs cannot be carried forward to the next month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Correct , except that its does carry over to the next month!

Boxfresh wrote: »
    Don't they offer 1GB per month for €9.99 aswell? I switched to Vodafone last night and I'm going to sign up for it. Link Here

From their site:

If you use mobile internet frequently

Get great value with our Mobile Internet add on - 1Gb per month for just €9.99. With this add on:
    • Price per MB after you have used your bundle is €5
    • Unused MBs cannot be carried forward to the next month

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Can confirm that with the 1Gb promo, all unused mb's simply rollover to the next month up to a maximum of 2GB.

HOWEVER..... here's the catch.... just remember that its valid only for Ireland. If you use if anywhere else, it works out to something close to 12.85/mb per login.
    Eg: If you login twice during the day to download 600k of email each time, you will end up paying €25.70. Unless you're Obama, no email is worth that type of cash.
    Trust me, I learnt this lesson from painful (to my wallet) experience :(

If you travel, it is better to use Vodafone Live. I haven't looked at it in depth (haven't travelled this year as yet), but it appears to cost 99c per day up to 50Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I've been paying €25* a month for 3 PAYG :confused: (and it's rubbish).

Although Vodafone is rubbisher.

Can't pick-up a signal for O2 at all.

Try to check your area for coverage (physically - not by the providers map) before buying a modem.

*Just checked my account and it's €25 for 10gb for a month.

• Advertisement

No, 1gb would be grand for me, but I can't find, and have never seen the option to choose 1gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

No, 1gb would be grand for me, but I can't find, and have never seen the option to choose 1gb.

The handset add (1GB) on is not available for modem customers, you need to change your sim to a handset via My3 (https://my3.three.ie, not planet3, Planet 3 is on their phones), then that add on will be visable

My mistake, I searched for "mobile broadband" and didn't realise I had ended up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Is everyone talking about mobile broadband or mobile phone internet? *confused*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Im looking to switch providers from o2 due to their ludicrously low 250mb mobile internet for €7.50

3 seem to be doing a great deal at the moment

€29 150 + 150 450 + 450 150 30c 10c
    add €10 for the 1gig

thats €5 more than I currently pay o2 for TRIPLE everything - triple minutes, triple text and quadruple mobile internet.

my only woory is coverage and speed of network - any advice?

Other option is meteor surf for €55/month for 500mins+500txt + unlimited data (would never come close to this quoata but could offset cost of plan by buying and selling the hero that comes with!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

00sully, there is a 1GB add on available for €12.40 from 02 if that's any good to you
    www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Business/Price+Plans/Add+ons/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭estreetb

i just bought the nokia 5800 on PAYG from voadfone

the customer care rep said that vodafone should be introducing a

9.99euro/1gb and a 16.99euro/16gb option for payg customers in march

the reason is they are bringing out the iphone in march

the 16b allowance seems a great deal as it means you can do all your surfing from ph and therefore dont need to be using a seperate 3g broadband modem on pc/laptop

if this offer falls through i might switch to 3pay or 3 best of both,

only drawback i see with 3 is that they dont offer free international webtexts. vodafone offer international free texts which is important to me.

some questions
    can the 3pay 1gb add on be used as a top up on its own
    or do you have to have to purchase it on top of a regular 3pay top up?

Capt Morgan, sorry for being short with you the other day

just want to add that meteor now offers 79cent 50mb a day PAYG
    do you know how long the contract must be for the 10GB limit for €14.99 on meteor

this works out as meteor=50mb for 31days at .79cent = 24.49euro for 1550mb
    voda/o2=50mb for 31days at .99cent = 30.69euro for 1550mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

thanks boxfresh didn't realise that - although I think that 12.40 doesn't include VAT so its actually €15 for the 1gig. 3 is still cheaper and offering more by a long way.

my only question is, how does the 3 network hold up?? o2 was down for me this morning and their *111# code is flaky at best.

short /rolling contract
    meteors 30 day rolling contract looks very good

3 do a best of both 15euro and 25euro package but im not sure if you need to sign up to it for 6months. it could be for 1 month though

PAYG

at the moment vodafone 360 looks the best deal where you get 100mb for 12.99 although this requires sign up

3 do a 1gb for 9.99

3o2 do a 1gb for 15euro i think

then o2,voda,metoper 99ct a day offers

dont want contract. got burned before and never again

using payg mobile broadband atm but want to switch over to use internet on ph

thats why i was asking on vodafone forum about using ph as modem with payg mobile broadband.

i think that is what i will do.

have no idea about mins etc.

very few calls but mostly texting especially

international texts option required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

estreetb wrote: »
    short /rolling contract
    meteors 30 day rolling contract looks very good

3 do a best of both 15euro and 25euro package but im not sure if you need to sign up to it for 6months. it could be for 1 month though

PAYG

at the moment vodafone 360 looks the best deal where you get 100mb for 12.99 although this requires sign up

3 do a 1gb for 9.99

3o2 do a 1gb for 15euro i think

then o2,voda,metoper 99ct a day offers

Just to clarify, the vodafone 360 is 100mb a day for 39c!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

I'm just butting in without reading everything else properly...

Being in Galway, I'd never go with 3. Rubbish connection outside the city. I have a regular contact that lives in a field and there's just no point trying to contact her mobile when she's at home.

I've always always always been Vodafone PAYG, and I don't really want to change, but I love getting my email and having weather and Facebook and stupid things like that, so I want to get something more reliable than Vodafone Live.

I was in the shop the other day, and I got a book that offers:
    €34.86 monthly + 2GB data, BUT 30c p/call + 11c p/text. For 18 months.

So the best the book has is Vodafone Simply:
    €20 p/month 100 + 100 minutes and texts, 500 + 500 (to Vodafone), and an add on of €9.99 p/month for 500Mb.

Which is better. But not the best.

THEN... the Vodafone website offers 1Gb p/month for €9.99.

HAW HAW... So I'm going in with my printout vs. my book tomorrow. I don't use my phone for calls super often, but I'm still not happy paying ridiculous amounts per minute, or tying myself to a contract, so this seems to suit me best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

O2 have an unlimited data (fair use policy if you breach 3gb per month) but its contract only. I would make one comment about threes "best of both", a friend has it and says the connection can be patchy depending on location.
    For example you may get EDGE connections alot more than HSDPA. There are some good deals for pay as you go on meteor and three, but I'm not sure the connection wuold be as consistent as Voda or O2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

marymc wrote: »
    I'm just butting in without reading everything else properly...

Being in Galway, I'd never go with 3. Rubbish connection outside the city. I have a regular contact that lives in a field and there's just no point trying to contact her mobile when she's at home.

I've always always always been Vodafone PAYG, and I don't really want to change, but I love getting my email and having weather and Facebook and stupid things like that, so I want to get something more reliable than Vodafone Live.

I was in the shop the other day, and I got a book that offers:

So the best the book has is Vodafone Simply:

Which is better. But not the best.

THEN... the Vodafone website offers 1Gb p/month for €9.99.

HAW HAW... So I'm going in with my printout vs. my book tomorrow. I don't use my phone for calls super often, but I'm still not happy paying ridiculous amounts per minute, or tying myself to a contract, so this seems to suit me best.

that vodafone add on is for pay monthly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

snaps wrote: »
    that vodafone add on is for pay monthly

Yeah I know. So if you get the Simply €20 p/month plan + Add-On you're only paying €30 a month, no long term contract, and still free calls and texts. :)

Advertisement