Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance Recovery Question.

Options
  • 12-02-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I hop that this is the correct place for this. Myself and my ex have agreed a figure for maintenance which I have been paying since the breakup. That is fine however I have now got a letter from the Maintenance Recovery Section stating that I've been assessed and they state that my Maintenance payment should be increased and paid to them directly or paid to my ex and they will deduct this from her One Parent Family Payment.
    So far I understand that this is the welfare trying to reduce the amount that they are paying out in One Parent. My question is do I only pay this while the One Parent Family payment is being paid?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You continue paying maintenance whether she gets one parent or not. Say you cant increase it. They will pressure her to take you to court by threatening to take away her payment. I suggest you talk to yourex. All the govt bodies are fund raising for nama so they are looking in every corner.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Also remember you can claim single parents tax credit once your child stay with you at least one night a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

So far I understand that this is the welfare trying to reduce the amount that they are paying out in One Parent. My question is do I only pay this while the One Parent Family payment is being paid?

Thanks in advance.

If she stops receiving Loan parent they will send you a letter confirming this and your maintenance can go back to what you had originally agreed on. But beware sometimes they dont notify you for a few months afterwards same happened to my boyfriend and they didnt let him know for three months afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Is this new thing? Maintence was always connected to rent allowances rather then the one parent family payment.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/birth-family-relationships/separation-and-divorce/maintenance_orders_and_agreements

Also it is child maintenance or spouse maintenance?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/social-welfare-payments-to-families-and-children/one_parent_family_payment
    Maintenance

All income from maintenance is assessed as means. This includes maintenance for you and maintenance to you for any of your children. If you are getting maintenance from more than one person it will be added together and the total will be assessed as means. However, your rent or mortgage repayment up to a maximum of €95.23 per week can be offset against maintenance payments. Half the balance is then assessed as means and your social welfare payment will be reduced by that amount. You must provide proof of rent or mortgage payments. You can get more information on how maintenance is assessed as means.

Advertisement