Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we stay or should we go

Options
  • 12-02-2010 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hello everyone,
    Firtsly I apologise if this subject is being brought up alot, I have looked over a few pages and nothing pops out! :)

Basically the boyfriend and I are considering moving to Oz, not on a WHV but on more long term/skilled type Visa. I am currently finishing a Dip in Human resources and work in a similar area. His brother is currently over there, a citizen,and he lives in Perth. If we were moving over we would be looking to start there and move to Sydney if needed. He has worked in an IT company for the past 10 years, a very specilised type of role to do with Managed Services and Printers.He has no college degrees or diploma. Just to add i am 27 and he is 30.

Would it be possible for his brother to sponser him if needs be? Also does anyone live in Perth at the moment and know if jobs are hard to come by? (I know this is a very general question)

I have a good job here and so does he so I dont want to move somewhere and find out the ecomomy is pants and have to move back. Any advice on this would be great! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I'm currently based in Perth and the economy seems pretty good at the minute. Have a look at www.seek.com.au to get an idea of the job situation in your fields. As regards migrating you will need to look into the changes that have been made to the skilled miration program and see how they affect you. Depending on the demand for your qualification in Australia you will be very lucky to get a visa before the end of 2012 unless things change. Getting a working holiday visa would be a much better option if you are thinking of moving over before then. While on a working holiday visa you can try to find an employer to nominate you for sponsorship under the ENS program which can be processed in a few months. Have a look on www.britishexpats.com for more info on migration to Oz. Hope this helps!

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Generally the economy here is pretty good. There are plenty of jobs around, although i dont know the specifics of ye're professions. You should have a look at some of the job sites here.

http://www.seek.com.au
    http://www.mycareer.com.au

These are the two main sites for jobs in Australia.

The economy in WA is in much better shape than the other states in Australia. NSW isnt doing very well, Victoria is a little better but still not as good as WA, so you would are better off coming to Perth.
    Im not sure about his brother sponsoring him, are you talking about sponsoring as a worker? or sponsoring him as a family member?

Definatly come over with some money to keep ye going for a while, or line up a job beforehand. It can take a while for the whole applying/interviewing process to happen, they are very thorough with that stuff.

Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

LeahK wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    Firtsly I apologise if this subject is being brought up alot, I have looked over a few pages and nothing pops out! :)

Basically the boyfriend and I are considering moving to Oz, not on a WHV but on more long term/skilled type Visa. I am currently finishing a Dip in Human resources and work in a similar area. His brother is currently over there, a citizen,and he lives in Perth. If we were moving over we would be looking to start there and move to Sydney if needed. He has worked in an IT company for the past 10 years, a very specilised type of role to do with Managed Services and Printers.He has no college degrees or diploma. Just to add i am 27 and he is 30.

Would it be possible for his brother to sponser him if needs be? Also does anyone live in Perth at the moment and know if jobs are hard to come by? (I know this is a very general question)

I have a good job here and so does he so I dont want to move somewhere and find out the ecomomy is pants and have to move back. Any advice on this would be great! :)

Your first step is to visit the skills list and see are you applicable for skilled migration. I dont think his brother can sponsor him but it may give you a little extra pionts.

I think it may be your OH who has the better chance, check the IT CSL occupations to see if he fits in there

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/critical-skills-list.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭LeahK

Thanks all :) very helpful advice.. I'll keep it all in mind. Is there any companies that can help over here with the visa process or is it all done in Oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Like Zambia says best to check www.immi.gov.au

The only problem is that since Monday 8/02/2010 the rules have changed and current SOL (skilled Occupations List) is no longer really valid, it is being replaced mid year by a new SOL which has less occupations on it.

What actual occupations will be on the new list no one knows... so really its all up in the air until about May. If you apply now DIAC will accept your application and fee but if your occupation aint on the new list they will issue you with a refund.

I imagine IT will still be on the list but since IT is a very general term and there would be many specilised roles...it would be hard to say what will make it onto the list and which wont.

Also the CSL list is being phased out.

Good Luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Tradnuts

dont forget though, the working holiday visa is not valid if your BF is over 30. I think you need to have applied for it before he turns 31. this caught me out. Personally, i've spent a few weeks looking into it, and i reckon the working holiday visa is the way to go, then get there, and find a job to sponser you., but dont forget the Working holiday age limit.

Advertisement