Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Press Photo 2010 - Winners

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Nice to see an Irish photographer get the 2nd place Sports Action section.

I have to agree about the overall winner. Not sure what to make of that photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

2 in 2 years for Irish sports photographers. It was won last year by Paul Mohan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

The glacier photo is absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Bloodbath in Madagascar - holy .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Some amazing photographs in there. And a scary insight into the world we live in.
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tiffmister

:eek:some amazing shots but i couldn't help but get chills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Superb shots, looking forward to sitting down and going through them all later.. Brilliant to see another Irish winner.. Ireland seems to be able to produce some excellent sports photographers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Winner is very strange, I must be missing something in it. The Horse racing one doesnt do a lot for me, seen and shot too many of these with a dead Horse at the end..

Some great shots in the stories

• Registered Users Posts: 41 damiendar

Best Sport photos in World Press , hmm surly there was better the winner is sharpe but does nothing at all for me maybe because its a game I hate .. people on boards and other places shoot better sports shots than the first 3 in the sport section ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

damiendar wrote: »
    Best Sport photos in World Press , hmm surly there was better the winner is sharpe but does nothing at all for me maybe because its a game I hate .. people on boards and other places shoot better sports shots than the first 3 in the sport section ...

The shot of Trott being run out is a good one. Cricket isn't an easy game to cover at all. Pace is slow enough but concentration needs to be high constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Some really great stuff on display there. Had to laugh at this set of shots though.

http://www.worldpressphoto.org/index.php?option=com_photogallery&task=view&id=1786&Itemid=257&type=&selectedIndex=5&bandwidth=high

What the hell is goin on there?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Not quite sure what to think of the overall winner, it doesn't do much for me, to be honest. I do love the nature winners, though.

Yeah, I agree.

Anybody have a different view?

Edit: This is what the jury said:

The conclusion of the jury

Jury chair Ayperi Karabuda Ecer said: "The photo shows the beginning of something, the beginning of a huge story. It adds perspectives to news. It touches you both visually and emotionally, and my heart went out to it immediately."

Fellow juror Guy Tillim commented: "The difficulty in photographing conflict situations is one of portraying the parallel lives involved, of people going on with their lives. This picture has made a very good attempt at marrying these two elements, in giving the conflict a context - and that is a holy grail of photography. The photographer does it with a very beautiful image of an Iranian landscape, which would be worth looking at in itself. But it also arouses our curiosity about the woman shouting - incorporating this moment, the importance of this historical event. It represents a very honest and successful attempt at taking forward our vocabulary of showing things."

Juror Kate Edwards said: "The photo has a powerful sense of atmosphere, tension, fear - but also of quietness and calm, and in this sense was a challenge as a choice. We were looking for an image that drew you in, took you deeper, made you think more - not just about showing what we already know, but something that asks more of us."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I don't get it. Not that I had always agreed with the judgments, but it was always pleasure to see the exhibition. I don't feel the need to see this year's exhibition in print.

And talking about the race horses picture - that is crap. I the photographer was paid to deliver picture as soon as possible and his (her?) picture was delivered to agencies first, why not, but this is not nice picture IMHO.

Advertisement