Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Milltown Kildare,Eircom can only provide 1MB and want E52 for it!

• 12-02-2010 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Moving house the weekend and i got the line connected yesterday and got on them today to see what they can offer on my line and as the title says the only option on my line is 1MB for E52.
    They blame it on the line as i am bordering Newbridge and Rathangan and on the edge of Ranthangans service.
    Anybody live out my way and can advise of something else?seems steep for a no option package.
    Mobile service is dodgy in places too so not sure if a dongle modem would work good either plus i wanted to go wireless through the house.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

use vodafone @ home

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

zod wrote: »
    use vodafone @ home

Thanks will see what they can do.

If Eircom said you can get 1Mb then that is all you will get, it doesn't really matter what company you go to for DSL.

Do you know your line stats?

For my line:
    Eircom said I could get 10Mb
    Vodafone said I can get 10.24Mb
    Magnet said I could get 9Mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FINGAL FAN

You're probably a fair way from you're Exchange and as a previous poster has said if Eircom say its 1mg its 1 mg as all other Companys rent Eircoms circuit .

If Eircom said you can get 1Mb then that is all you will get, it doesn't really matter what company you go to for DSL.

Do you know your line stats?

For my line:
    Eircom said I could get 10Mb
    Vodafone said I can get 10.24Mb
    Magnet said I could get 9Mb

Yes i was told this morning they did a speed check or the likes and thats all the line can provide as it`s on the edge of the exchange.

Just wondering is better to try get a wireless setup from the likes of Digiweb or if thats going to be as bad with the signal,suppose it depends on their setup in the area but i`ve been told by another they use it out there as their landline is terrible too,and i thought the 90`s was over :).

Tbh it`s the price for the package Eircom want,and it only gives 30 mins free per month on the landline to mobiles or similar,just wondering how bad would 1MB be to live with,is it really slow?
    I use on average 40-50 GB of bandwith pm on downloads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭nilhg

Gregsor wrote: »
    Yes i was told this morning they did a speed check or the likes and thats all the line can provide as it`s on the edge of the exchange.

Just wondering is better to try get a wireless setup from the likes of Digiweb or if thats going to be as bad with the signal,suppose it depends on their setup in the area but i`ve been told by another they use it out there as their landline is terrible too,and i thought the 90`s was over :).

Tbh it`s the price for the package Eircom want,and it only gives 30 mins free per month on the landline to mobiles or similar,just wondering how bad would 1MB be to live with,is it really slow?
    I use on average 40-50 GB of bandwith pm on downloads.

Ya should have thought of the BB when you were buying the house.;)

I'm not exactly sure where you are, if your postal address is Milltown you could conceivably be on the Rathangan, Robertstown or Newbridge exchanges. If you're the Robertstown side maybe you might pick up Digiweb from Naas though I'd be surprised if you can.

Other than that you're probably looking at Ripplecom or Leinster Broadband they've masts on the Hill of Allen and Grange Hill.

nilhg wrote: »
    Ya should have thought of the BB when you were buying the house.;)

I'm not exactly sure where you are, if your postal address is Milltown you could conceivably be on the Rathangan, Robertstown or Newbridge exchanges. If you're the Robertstown side maybe you might pick up Digiweb from Naas though I'd be surprised if you can.

Other than that you're probably looking at Ripplecom or Leinster Broadband they've masts on the Hill of Allen and Grange Hill.

I was in touch with ripplecom.net and they require E140 upfront and then you need your own wireless modem and E40 pm thenafter but it`s always on and unlimited u/l And d/l`s,didn`t check what speeds they offer either,bit steep upfront but over the 12 contract it`s not too bad.

The link for Leinsterbroadband`s site seems to have expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tradman

Got Eircom NGB in my place - I live near the Hanged Mans. Eircom said I could get 24 meg ultimate no probs. When it eventually got connected it tops out at 4 MB. The engineer who came out said it was because Milltown is too far from Newbridge exchange. Down at Fr. Moores well they are getting only 1MB speed so it does seem to vary.

Vodafone told me they couldn't offer me anymore than a 3 meg package as i would be lucky if i could reach that,i was averaging @ 1.5.
    I can't even get on the exchange here in Oz as it's too busy already at the local one,i'm on mobile package and it costs alot and is pretty bad,yes it could always be worse!
    Talking to a technician the other day and he says ADSL2 is on it's way,i won't hold my breath :pac:

Advertisement