Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External USB Hard Drive Won't Show Up

• 12-02-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Have a 320GB which I purchased off ebay a while back. Not sure the make but it's in one of these covers

icy_box_283stu_lether_2_5_sata_drive_case_usb_2_0_1.jpg

The other night I connected it to the PS3 and it wouldn't show up. Same when I connected to the laptop. It eventually showed up on the laptop and asked me to scan fix the drive, so I did. It was working away then. Tried it today and it's not showing up again.

The lights illuminate when connected to the USB and I can hear the drive spinning but nothing happens.

Any ideas? I'm afraid of losing all the data I have on it :(

Thanks guys & gals.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Hi Vinny, Right click on my computer and select manage, once the computer management screen appears goto Disk Management on the left. You're hard drive should pop up here, chances are it's not formated so select the disk and if you intend on using it with a PS3 create a primary partition and format using FAT32 file system not NTFS this can be done by right clicking on the disk itself on the bottom right hand side of the screen let me know how ya get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Hey Viper. Maverick here :D
    I had tried the Disk Management option earlier but no joy. The drive was working grand. Unfortunately don't have laptop plug here now to explore it further. Will take another look once I get home and report here.
    Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Hey Viper. Maverick here :D
    I had tried the Disk Management option earlier but no joy. The drive was working grand. Unfortunately don't have laptop plug here now to explore it further. Will take another look once I get home and report here.
    Thanks for the reply.

Rodger that Maverick :D emmm it's happened to me a good few times now where the drive wasn't picking up a drive letter for what ever reason the drive letter can also be changed through the disk management screen, I doubht it's that though as that wouldn't make a difference to the PS3, any possiblility it might be goosed, making any strange noises or ticking when spinning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Hey Vinny, could be that its been formatted for a Mac. If this is the case, it'll show up in the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the bottom right hand corner of your windows desktop but you wont be able to see it in My Computer or Explorer etc..

You'll need to reformat it on a Mac for use on a PC and then you'll be laughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

You'll need to reformat it on a Mac for use on a PC and then you'll be laughing

NB you mentioned that you are afraid of losing the data on it, but formatting will do just that.

If you have precious data on it, you need to try and rescue that before reformatting it. I'd suggest plugging it into another usb port, or another machine, and trying the scan-fix process again. And next time it comes up, get your data off it immediately in case it packs up again. Once your data is safe then reformatting it might make it stable again, although there is the chance that something else is wrong with the device so be mindful of that if putting anything else precious onto it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement