Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fianna fail and why they shouldnt get a sniff of your vote in the next election

Options
  • 12-02-2010 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have become so disillusioned with the political system here in ireland especially government. The lies and corrupt decisions are out of control and look and where our country is from it. Fianna failk are the main instigators of all this so from nnow and into the future , I will be writing down my thoughts and views on the past , the present and the future. If you decide to read great! if you dont read thats fine - at least I know the truth of this party will be out there. I plan on posting every couple of days if I can. Just take a close look at the new rules introduced re tds expenses and thats just recent. People should be ashamed of themselves for calling themselves members/supporters of this party.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Too bad there are no real alternatives then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Welcome to the Boards/the forum firstly.

A lot of folk here feel your pain and disillusion at the current situation. An awful lot.
    There seems to be a number of camps on them.
    One side outright dis-likes them and want no more of them and their antics in power (I'm in this group) - another few think they are the best(!) of a bad lot - and another group think there is nothing to replace them (this I can understand to a great degree).
    Others lie somewhere in between the mixture of the above.

So far I don't see any possible viable alternative organisations for the future.
    We need a complete clean bunch of people in the Dail on BOTH sides.
    Will it happen? Not likely at all. Frankly, we are just going to get more of the same.
    This depresses me, not just for my future but for my 4 children's future.

I HAD hoped in the early days of the Greens for a fresh start for the country - but the heads of the Greens sold out, became lapdogs and now are the makers of their own forthcoming demise.
    We are screwed for some times to come as far as I can see - and the public will pay through their pockets and being further exploited for party gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

If I was to think back of all the stuff that has angered me about FF over the last 7/8 years, I could write a novel about it. And I'm not talking about corruption or cronyism, merely their incompetence!

How anyone votes for them is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I was expecting a bit more from that opening post tbh. it was a real build up seeing the thread title.... such a let down.

as opposed to telling us why we should not vote for ff, OP, Please tell me why we should vote for the other crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Sorry to burst your bubble FF and Labour will form the government with help from Greens if needed (or if any greens left). FF will lose very few seats in the election. This will happen as Enda Kenny is going to perform a Royston Brady on it.... He will shot himself in the foot probably both feet, I cant wait to hear about contract mark 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sorry to burst your bubble FF and Labour will form the government with help from Greens if needed (or if any greens left). FF will lose very few seats in the election. This will happen as Enda Kenny is going to perform a Royston Brady on it.... He will shot himself in the foot probably both feet, I cant wait to hear about contract mark 2.

the labour party membership will not vote for a coalition with FF

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    the labour party membership will not vote for a coalition with FF
    I agree. Lord knows they can see the effect of what happens to parties lately who sign-up with the FF bunch.
    Labour will take one look at the Green party, their coming future and hopefully learn an important lesson there alone.
    (I'm not advocating support for the Labour party just because they won't join FF)

Sorry to burst your bubble FF and Labour will form the government...

...and as if to back points already made by others:

Gilmore rules out FF pact - won't do deal with 'party of disaster'
    Thursday September 10 2009
    LABOUR leader Eamon Gilmore last night definitively ruled out any post-election pact with Fianna Fail.
    Speaking at his party's 'think-in' in Faithlegg, Co Waterford, Mr Gilmore categorically dismissed any prospect of a deal with Fianna Fail who, he said, have been in power for 4,500 days and brought the country to the "brink of economic disaster".
    Earlier, when asked if he was ruling out power-sharing with Fianna Fail, Mr Gilmore only said: "The Labour Party will put Fianna Fail out of Government, full stop"...

...he clarified his earlier remarks, saying: "I made it clear before the European and local elections that the Labour Party will put Fianna Fail into opposition after the next election. We will not be going into Government with them.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gilmore-rules-out-ff-pact-wont-do-deal-with-party-of-disaster-1882414.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Biggins wrote: »
    ...and as if to back points already made by others:

Gilmore rules out FF pact - won't do deal with 'party of disaster'

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gilmore-rules-out-ff-pact-wont-do-deal-with-party-of-disaster-1882414.html

Welcome news, but - maybe due to the Greens con-job - it's difficult to believe anything which resemble categorical promises at this stage.

Hopefully Gilmore will have more ethics and conviction than they did though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Welcome news, but - maybe due to the Greens con-job - it's difficult to believe anything which resemble categorical promises at this stage.

THAT is what it comes down to for me at the next election.

At this stage I have no idea who has the better policies towards getting us out of this FF mess. All the parties have a mixture of good and bad debaters, and I'm sure each party has a mix of good and bad policies. I am also sure none of the parties has all the answers, or who has any more answers than another.

For me, it comes down to ethics.

Fianna Fáil on that score? An embarrassing joke. I am afraid Bertie was so unethical and compromised, that he has taken an entire generation of FF with him. So FF out.

The performance of Fine Gael leads me to see them as no more than a FF mini-me, so they are out, too. Enda Kenny himself constantly at pains to say the politically correct thing, and ending up saying all the wrong things. I would need a couple of years to see how a FG party under somebody else would work out.

Green Party? Ethics went out the window the day Gormley sold his grassroots out to support power and pensions at all costs.

Sinn Féin? Ethics? No comment.

That leaves Labour. I honestly have no idea how sound their economic policies are, or any other policy for that matter. I have no idea how ethical Eamon Gilmore is. But he gives me no reason to believe he is anything as corrupt or compromised as anyone any of the other parties can offer. So far, Labour have my vote, purely and simply because the other parties make me sick, FF especially, and I will vote for whoever I think speaks plain and straight, instead of trying to flog spin all the time. Gilmore is the closest thing to that at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

rovert wrote: »

There are all the other parties though so maybe one of them could be an alternative if you read up on them :-/

Or are you one of those, like reading in this day and age, can someone summarise it into a catchy phrase for me :pac:

I'd be banned if I came up with a joke one for FF because of how extreme it would be :D

thebman wrote: »
    ...I'd be banned if I came up with a joke one for FF because of how extreme it would be :D
    Lets be honest, its near impossible to make up one better than the one they are already themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

rovert wrote: »

So will you still vote for ff ?

As Enda would say "dream on baby" :D

Labour have seen what happened to Spring back in the 90s and more recently they are watching what is happening to the greens.
    Their is also example of the pds.
    Now these parties are much smaller than Labour, but they have bornt the brunt of peoples' displeasure with the ff led governments.

ff suck the life out of their coalition partners and leave the minority party as an empty shell, devoid of the principles and convictions they once stood for with a party leadership lacking the support of their own members, nevermind the public.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    ...ff suck the life out of their coalition partners and leave the minority party as an empty shell...
    Reminds me of vampires... only come out at night to drink, attending funerals, putting more people on stretchers, etc

Was Bram Stoker a FF member by any chance! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Labour surely learned their lesson about going in with FF from their last affair. Coupled with FF's recent glory, I can't see Labour going in with them.

All talking aside, it comes down to the very same thing each election, numbers. Who get's what and who that allows them to talk to.

I think FF will suffer, I think Greens will suffer more.

How well Independents do, or SF is another thing. Not sure SF will do as well as other elections, as in increasing their vote.

Unless something huge happens I can't see past FG + Labour and possibly + other. Labour would likely have a bigger bargaining chip, not least of which being FG fairly sick of warming the opposition benches I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FINGAL FAN

Labour will NOT put FF back in power . They have learned their lesson from Dick Spring . However its awful to think FG under this present twit are going to benefit .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

FINGAL FAN wrote: »
    Labour will NOT put FF back in power . They have learned their lesson from Dick Spring . However its awful to think FG under this present twit are going to benefit .

I think you'll find that Labour's ratings remained high even after they went into government with FF.According to many analysts it was their decision to go straight into government with FG that damaged their credibility with the electorate.

BTW, if there was an election in the morning I would vote for FF because I would be appalled if Enda Kenny was Taoiseach.Also the fact that FG are absolutely hopeless when it comes to dealing with NI.

There are alot of people in the same boat, Enda Kenny will not win an election. FG should be may ahead in the polls, they have done nothing to encourage people to support them other than say ah sure you cant vote for that crowd, look what they have done. Labour will get into bed with FF purely because they will see as their only way of getting into power, I know a few members who feel they have waited on FG long enough that its time to take the plunge.

thebman wrote: »
    Or are you one of those, like reading in this day and age, can someone summarise it into a catchy phrase for me :pac:

How about :

a) "Bertie's Team"

or

b) "Yes to Jobs

Both 100% irrelevant and misleading, but both worked for the scum.

BTW, if there was an election in the morning I would vote for FF because I would be appalled if Enda Kenny was Taoiseach.Also the fact that FG are absolutely hopeless when it comes to dealing with NI.

You seriously reckon that Kenny is worse than Cowen ?

Or as corrupt as Ahern ?

Jeez! I must be reading the wrong facts about the last ten years, because while Kenny is certainly no saint and was inept at getting O'Donoghue his due, he's light years ahead of those two.

• Advertisement

How about :

a) "Bertie's Team"

or

b) "Yes to Jobs

Both 100% irrelevant and misleading, but both worked for the scum.

how is Bertie's team misleading? He was the leader so thus his team was under him? Also yes to jobs is not misleading as more jobs have been created with FF in power and us in Europe than any other time in our history. SCUM Liam? These people are humans like me and i presume you.... They majority are trying to lead us of this recession. Please do not refer to the Fianna Fail party as SCUM! It still is the biggest political organisation in this country in term of numbers and i take that a personal insult from you. Scum is the people selling drugs on the street or the people killing in cold blood gang land style not a political party leading this country out of recession. What ever your beef with Ahern you cannot call the collective group of FF scum. But I am not suprised as I said on other threads you and a small few other on this site will do anything you can to blacken the name of good men. At least you have stopped comparing them to other an other organisation.....

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Labour will get into bed with FF purely because they will see as their only way of getting into power, I know a few members who feel they have waited on FG long enough that its time to take the plunge.
    Labour won't go in with FF. Full Stop

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

The biggest problem is who else is there to vote for ? Just look at the circus FG ran this week with George Lee, and now a few cute hoors have seen a bit of conflict they are trying to make there way up the ladder.

+1 to the sentiment that FF are like vampires to there coalition partners, what state will be the green party be in 5 years time ?

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Labour won't go in with FF. Full Stop

same was said about the greens.... It will be a hung Dail so or someone like Sinn Fein will hold the balance the power. Would anyone go into power with Sinn Fein? What do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

FF absolutely need to be out of power for at least one full term or more. They have been in power for too long and there is a need for a change. They have become to cozy and complacent. They have put their own people on every state body, their friends the developers have been given favourable conditions to end up ruining the country. The have presided over a situation with light touch regulation over the banks and maybe worst of all are completely cozied up to the heads of all civil service depts.
    What worries me is that if they run for the full term, they may just get enough votes for them to still have a say in what happens. What should happen is an election in the short term and for FF to be decimated in the polls, maybe then we can get rid of all the dodgy lazy complacent FF politicians. Will it happen or will the Irish people run back to them like sheep. I worry for this country.

same was said about the greens.... It will be a hung Dail so or someone like Sinn Fein will hold the balance the power. Would anyone go into power with Sinn Fein? What do you guys think?

Is that a genuine question, or just more scaremongering ?

Is that a genuine question, or just more scaremongering ?

oh genuine question. I do personally feel that FF will perform alot better than you and others would have us believe. I also think Sinn Fein could very easily hold balance of power unless FF and Labour go in together.

SCUM Liam? These people are humans like me and i presume you.... They majority are trying to lead us of this recession. Please do not refer to the Fianna Fail party as SCUM! It still is the biggest political organisation in this country in term of numbers and i take that a personal insult from you. Scum is the people selling drugs on the street or the people killing in cold blood gang land style not a political party leading this country out of recession.

It's a term I use for people or organisations without a shred of ethics.

If the cap fits.

Yes, I'll take your point that there might well be some decent people in it, but the fact is that those people have allowed their organisation to be dragged into the gutter by electing "leaders" such as the corrupt Ahern.

Decent people would either (a) fight against this or (b) resign from it as a dead loss.

What ever your beef with Ahern you cannot call the collective group of FF scum.

Why ? Because we're supposed to "comment in sense, not in anger" or some such rubbish ?

You and hallelujahjordan go on and on about some notional "collective responsibility" because of the actions of some people in society, and yet you object when I indicate that FF has collective responsibility ?

Lose the double-standards or I'll end up with even less interest in your posts.
    But I am not suprised as I said on other threads you and a small few other on this site will do anything you can to blacken the name of good men. At least you have stopped comparing them to other an other organisation.....

Commenting on the actions of individuals is not "blackening" them,

And I won't rise to the bait about the "comparing", because we all know that's yet another attempt at discrediting my view.......the fact is that there are decent people in the Catholic Church too........so in an odd way, your objection to being compared to that is hilariously double-standards too.

But at least we have it in black and white....."collective responsibility" applies when FF want to blame us, but don't dare point out their collective responsibility. :rolleyes:

oh genuine question. I do personally feel that FF will perform alot better than you and others would have us believe. I also think Sinn Fein could very easily hold balance of power unless FF and Labour go in together.

Well, if they do, at least the only ounce of cash they'll be getting ever again from me will be their ridiculous €10 exit tax.

And I never thought I'd say this, but the fact is that while SF are seriously objectionable in my book, and I'm not convinced that they've changed their ways, at least there's some indication that they have.

So I'd view SF as less objectionable as FF these days.

Still, considering the fact that you ridicule FG policies, I'd doubt that FF would go into power with a party whose policies are even more hair-brained....

Or does it not mattter, as long as FF get their asses on "their" seats ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

To be fair, the Greens never said that they wouldn't go into coalition with FF, they just said that they were part of the opposition and didn't want to go into power with FF.

Ironically, the party whose ideas best match those of FF are FG. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that we will see a Fiana Gombeen coaltion and eventual unification of these two parties, with Labour as the reluctant opposition party?

Advertisement