Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Softbox or Umbrella's

• 12-02-2010 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what are peoples thoughts on this choice and why?

Both options with off camera flash/strobe rather than studio light - well could be argued that they both are simply external light sources but the concept here is one of a big mother of an industrial strength light as opposed to a smaller light source which will sit on a hot shoe attachment (eh, I think).

(ps - i really need to read up on studio lighting. Can that be a topic for the share the knowledge pleeeeeeaaaassssssseeeeeeee......)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I always use speedlites with umbrellas but that's my preference. Never tried the softbox option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Depends what you want to do with the light. If you'd like to spray the light everywhere then go with the umbrella. Good for group shots and full length portraits. I use the softbox when I'd like to control the light a little more. For instance, to keep the light on the subject and off the background. To really control the direction of the of light from a softbox you'd use a grid on the front. It makes a huge impact on how quickly the light falls off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    (ps - i really need to read up on studio lighting. Can that be a topic for the share the knowledge pleeeeeeaaaassssssseeeeeeee......)

Something worth looking at. Maybe we can have a couple of sessions in the Studio after the talks are over. The studio size is an issue & would be limited to 10 per session. Would also need someone to be a Model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have softboxes on my D-lite set but for speed I would prefer umbrellas just cause they are handier to put up. Light from the softboxes is really nice though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

In the Studio a set up I use a bit is to use a large Soft Box as the main light & an Umbrella as a Fill Light.

The Soft Box does give a very pleasant diffused light & the catch lights in the eyes are nice.

The Umbrella can be lifted up to the near the ceiling in a reflector configuration. This gives a nice even fill over a large area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

The purpose if both is to create larger illuminating surface closer to the subject. So the choice is based on money and portability.
    I love softoxes in the studio, but not having big strobes, I have an umbrella for a flash gun - smaller, easier to handle, lighter stand and much easier to transport and prepare.

Advertisement