Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[C&C] Infrared goodness

• 12-02-2010 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

I've been trying out a few new tricks in my capture and processing... :D

20100212012233_3.jpg

20100211185847_1.jpg

20100211003023_1.jpg

20100210233824_41.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

That top one is absolutely delightful dude.

pray tell...what are these new tricks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Can't tell. Trade secrets and all. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I love the first one but i think the blurred reflection takes away from the tranqulity of the picture by adding a bit of "noise". Still I love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I like the top on I saw it on your blog... I also like the framing of the second one.

Not sure about 3 & 4 they look a little soft.

Yes please do tell secrets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Oh yeah, now this is some good squishy. I prefer the conventionally (more B&W) toned results over the coloured ones, Although the cold blue tone on the fourth one is also really effective. First shot in particular is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

snap! (sort of)

I like the black space at the top & bottom of the first one. The ones of the building beside the bridge are really good too, you'd never think it was beside one of the busiest roads in galway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

1 and 4 work colourwise, 1 is a superb shot as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

In the first shot there is a lot of dead space at the top & bottom of the frame which does not add anything to the image. The crop is really nice on the second but the red toning is not improving the image. I would like to see the toning on the first shot, cropped like the second one, maybe a bit off the right to just include the tree & offset the ruin a bit more. That would be really nice classic B&W.

The other images do not do much for me. Other than toning there is not much there to hold the interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

CabanSail wrote: »
    In the first shot there is a lot of dead space at the top & bottom of the frame which does not add anything to the image.

Personally i dont think the dead space is actually "dead".

I think it adds a sense of scale to the image which a tighter crop would take away, that this fairly large man made structure is still dwarved by the (in this case) expanse of black sea and sky around it giving more of a sense that nature is in charge here, and the ruins will be more and more overcome by it as time goes on, untill eventually there is no sign of them.

Eirebear wrote: »

I agree, I think it actually serves to frame the subject quite well. I'd crop it a little, maybe place it down the frame more, but certainly not so much as the second one. It looks cramped and crowded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Number 1 is superb, I wouldnt be too keen on the coloured ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Love the first one Fenster.

Thank you all for the prompt feedback. You've helped me greatly in picking a processing style to settle upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Fenster wrote: »
    Can't tell. Trade secrets and all. ;)

Are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

I only like the first one..dont really like the effect of the others....

Are you serious?

Fenster is always serious. And terse.

Fenster is always serious. And terse.

Am not.

Fenster wrote: »
    Am not.

Sooo...

Sooo...

Long version: I'm not really keen on bashing out a lengthy guide to the theory and practice of digital infrared photography when I am to give a talk on this very topic at the Share the Knowledge in April coming. It is a needless duplication of efforts for which I am currently ill-prepared (I'm trying to build an e-store for my new site right now...give me a few hours).

If you want a great talk on the electromagnetic spectrum, the nature of colours, near infrared wavelengths, how to capture them and how to process them, come by on April...14? I can toss you a couple of Lightroom presets right now, but they won't do much for most images.

Short version: Can't talk, busy.

:)

I was going to leave a thanks on the photos but your lack of willingness to explain your methods either indepth or briefly to the folks on the thread negates that.

I'm sure folks here would appreciate a brief outline of what you did and if they were so interested they could attend your talk for the full details on how you have achieved the results in your original post. For most folk however I'm sure a few points would suffice.

I can never understand folk who get involved in a community such as Boards here, who actively seek out the opinions of their fellow posters but who then refuse to reveal the process with which they've achieved their results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Eirebear wrote: »

I think it adds a sense of scale to the image which a tighter crop would take away, that this fairly large man made structure is still dwarved by the (in this case) expanse of black sea and sky around it giving more of a sense that nature is in charge here, and the ruins will be more and more overcome by it as time goes on, untill eventually there is no sign of them.

What he said :) First one is stunning..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

Ooooh these are fab, I especially love no.1..... keep going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Nice work on these Fenster, I really like the first one. The contrast between the light and dark is very nice.
    I tried a simple IR conversion in CS4 from one my HDR Landscapes. Is this the kind of stuff you are doing or is there more to it? (promise I will read your blog when I have a bit more time)

My IR pic:
    4346209005_acefd679f8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

Are you serious?

slap on an IR filter + long exposure then convert to B&W. there's no secret there...

gerk86 wrote: »
    slap on an IR filter + long exposure then convert to B&W. there's no secret there...

Way to ruin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

B&W IR doesn't do much for me, it's fensters colour IR's that I love. Especially the one linked in the FAQ section of the tree near a lake (?)
    To me, converting to B&W is done when i've made a balls of trying to get a colour IR
    .....which reminds me, I must buy another cheap IR filter after I sold the kit lens my old one fitted onto

• Registered Users Posts: 16 paulaner

great shots! Particularly like the 1st and 4th ones.
    Quick question, where were the first two taken? I know where the 3rd/4th ones were, but I cant place the others.. :confused:

They were both taken from the Dangan sports grounds, down by the Tea House.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Love the first, The colour not so much.

gerk86 wrote: »

I won't be doing any myself but results as good as Fensters aren't that easy to achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Love the first one. Do you have the IR filter removed from your cameras sensor? They're amazing

Advertisement