Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough Security setup quote help

Options
  • 12-02-2010 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking for some rough estimates for a simple-ish security setup for my mums house.
    It's a 2-storey farmhouse with 1.5 floor double-garage-sized extension at the rear .

I'd like to get someone in to install 5xPIR sensor lights (250W or so) plus 2 security cameras. One at the door with IR for visitors at night (short-medium range ie. 0-15M) and one up under the eaves/at the soffit at the front corner of the 2-storey bit(medium-long range ie.15-50M), with a 7-10" monitor in the kitchen at the back of the house.
    Not sure about recording functionality. What capacity is common? Can the recording be movement activated and date-time stamped? Can the recorder be located remotely and fed wirelessly?

How much would such a setup cost in the midlands area ?

Cheers,
    PK.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Sensor lights vary a lot. If you want cheap buy the combined units in Woodies , Homebase etc for about €20 & get an electrician to quote you for installation & wiring.
    What cabeling is needed would be the main factor here.
    On CCTV for a decent recorder & 2 high definition cameras & monitor around €2000 .
    On this DIY is really not much good. You will get lower resolution & the Images won't be watermaked for authenticity. This means any evidence, in the event of an incident, would be useless in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Pique

Cheers Koolkid.

Thanks for the post.

When you say hi-def cameras, do you mean 'actual' HD or just standard 'apartment door camera' standard for the door and 'let me see the reg number of the car under artificial light at night' for the other one ?

2K seems a lot to me for that. Is the recorder with timestamp and motion sensitive recording the expensive bit ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

High def would be 510tvl or higher. DIY cameras could be as low as 380tvl.
    Watermarking is not the time/date stamp. It is digital marking that proves the recorded images have not been tampered with.
    The dearer recorders would give more control over recording on motion.

Advertisement