Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wet skirting board, please help!

• 12-02-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

hello,
    i recently removed a skirting board in the kitchen and noticed there was some damp on the back of it and the board was warped. i noticed that on the wall of the skirting where the floor meets the wall, there is a hole in the concrete floor about 2 inches in diameter.
    if i put a screwdriver down in the hole, it goes down about 6 to 8 inches.
    would the wet skirting board be caused by rifsing damp from the hole in the concrete floor?
    also, should i fill this hole with concrete or expanding foam, or something else?
    advice much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ortensia

Hard to advise without some more details
    Is it an external wall?
    Are there any other 2" holes in floor? , could this have been linked to a rad or a waste pipe?
    How old is the house?
    If you fill it use a strong dryish mortar

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

wall is an internal block wall. no other 2 inch holes in the floor. the hole looks to be caused by the concrete flowing into the wall properly and evenly when laying the concrete floor if you know what i mean. not linked to rad or waste pipe. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

I had a similiar issue recently - internal corner wall, mould appearing on back of skirting and on corner of skirting it was ever so slightly wet to touch..I ended up having to replace a portion of dpc and also used an all weather sealant called Rito(the sealant might do the trick for you though). It's possibly worth a try anyway.

Advertisement