Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan Replaces Machine Head Guitarist (No Joke)

Options
  • 12-02-2010 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

So, the other night, this kid in Vienna is holding a sign at the Machine Head concert saying "let me play - I can play Aesthetics" or something like that

So Robb Flynn, to his credit, actually suggests they get the guy out of the audience and let him play the entire track with the band

Without doubt, a fantastic performance from an obviously nervous fan, and something that was without question incredible!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I do love Rob Flynn,such a nice bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Wow, that's pretty amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

That was sound out of Rob alright and that guy, Peter, is one lucky bastard! But no doubt you will get every kind of joker turning up to their shows now with signs saying that they can play this song!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

****** Waves Banner******

I wanna sing Imperium!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Machine Head always struck me more as fans of whomever they were supporting or even the people they were playing to, so here you see this bizarre role reversal in effect. kudos to em for that. i may not be a fan of em.. -but they may be a fan of me? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Star Bingo wrote: »
    Machine Head always struck me more as fans of whomever they were supporting or even the people they were playing to, so here you see this bizarre role reversal in effect. kudos to em for that. i may not be a fan of em.. -but they may be a fan of me? :cool:

That's exactly what they're like. At a show i was at when they were backing up Metallica in the states last year Rob Flynn kept praising all the Metallica Club members(it was mainly Metclub members on the rail 'cause they had early entry) for their support and being so cool. It wasn't just the usual "we think you're great" banter either,they looked more happy to be playing for the crowd than the crowd looked happy for them to be playing!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

same deal supporting slayer at the sfx back in 93. their apparent 'favourite' show - such a smallscale outskirts show, amazes me.. but yeah they spent a LONG time signing autographs for all of us beforehand. obviously good rapport between em & their hordes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Star Bingo wrote: »
    same deal supporting slayer at the sfx back in 93. their apparent 'favourite' show - such a smallscale outskirts show, amazes me.. but yeah they spent a LONG time signing autographs for all of us beforehand. obviously good rapport between em & their hordes

Fair play, but slight correction, that gig took place on Nov 6th 1994

And although I always praise Machine Head, in this case, I have to also admit that Robb and Adam would have been the only people from the band who was present at that time. Having said that, kudos to them, they have kept that mentality alive since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Legends, simple as..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

thats soooo class haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I'm not a machine head fan but that was sound of Flynn. I couldnt do that I'd s**t myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

That "kid" has a beard. :D

\Serious kudos to Rob Flynn for that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

That must have been a great experience for the guy and fair play to him, he nailed the song pretty well considering how nervous he must have been. You could see in the beginning he was playing the intro riff much faster than necessary until Rob motioned for him to slow down.

Anyone know what's up with Dave McClain's head? Is he growing his hair out or was he wearing a hat or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Deadly! They are so sound! That is every metal fans dream to play with their icons...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

That is really sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Machine Head are sound bastards live, really intimate with the crowd. I remember when they played Ambassador they got some guy up to have a drinking contest with Rob Flynn, and yer man won haha. legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Malice_ wrote: »
    Anyone know what's up with Dave McClain's head? Is he growing his hair out or was he wearing a hat or something?

Very start of the video Rob throws Dave a hat to wear and he puts it on and stands up for a cheer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Deadly! They are so sound! That is every metal fans dream to play with their icons...
    I was gonna post that very same line...

Ledgebags:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Haha, brilliant.

Check out the grin on 'Peters' face about 3mins & 50secs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Very start of the video Rob throws Dave a hat to wear and he puts it on and stands up for a cheer
    Ah okay, I must have missed that part. I suppose that's as good an excuse as any to go and watch it again :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I remember meeting them in Boston in 99 just after the burning red was released. THey happily signed all my stuff and i had ****loads to be signed. THey then signed my Irish flag and had their pic taken with me wrapped up in it!!

Really sound guys. IM sorry Il be missing the Olympia gig!!

frAg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Malice_ wrote: »
    That must have been a great experience for the guy and fair play to him, he nailed the song pretty well considering how nervous he must have been. You could see in the beginning he was playing the intro riff much faster than necessary until Rob motioned for him to slow down.

I think someone from the crowd threw a wig up at Rob and he threw it to Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Not really a fan of Machine Head, but that is by far and far one of the soundest things I've seen any band do. Definitely have a whole new level of respect for them now.

Although, the cynic in me does have to ask if it was actually organised beforehand :P

Advertisement